Wal-Mart news

barney_rebel

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I shop at Walmart. I also live in the Ozarks, only a couple of hours from where the whole thing started. You cant go anywhere without seeing one. Though one town around here tried to stop them they lost. Every Walmart here has a grocery store with it. Thats mostly why I shop there. But I will not buy clothes except for socks there, thats what thrift stores are for! Also OTC meds are much cheaper along with other tolietries. Oops the occasional dvd. But I have now moved to a town of about 8k, there is only a grocery store and Walmart here so sometimes you dont have a choice.

Oh and about the thirft store. I live about an hour away from Branson MO and their are quite a few very rich people around here. Every change of season alot of these people donate their clothes to the thrift stores and what a deal we get! I got a pair of American Eagle jeans about 3 weeks ago with the tag still on them for $2.99! The thrift store down by the University is cool at the end and beginning of semesters, so many clothes and that thrift store charges a buck for shirt and pants! I just love it!

Wal-Mart sell guns ????????

OMG, to anyone in Britain, its the equivalent of picking up an AK-47 along with your Bread, eggs, soup, and milk from 'Asda' - (Wal-Mart's sister company over here)

I buy fishing lures at walmart sometimes. They are $3-$4 cheaper than a lot of other places. Sorry if I put people out of work but that's America for you. I can't see buying the same lures for a lot more at other places just to make some company richer than they already are. If they would work harder to find a way to lower their prices then maybe it wouldn't happen.

Wal-Mart greeter sacked over picture of himself covered by only a shopping bag

Canadian Press

January 7, 2005

MUSCATINE, Iowa (AP) - A Wal-Mart greeter was sacked for apparently showing too much of his friendly side to customers.

Dean Wooten, 65, was accused of greeting customers with a computer-generated photo of himself in which he appeared to be naked - except for a carefully placed Wal-Mart bag - and of telling customers that Wal-Mart was cutting costs and the sack was the company's new uniform.

A supervisor at the Muscatine store where Wooten had worked for seven years told him to knock it off after customers complained. He was fired five days later, in September, after he displayed the photo again.

Wooten's application for unemployment compensation was rejected by an administrative law judge who said "a reasonable person would know the act of showing a naked body wearing a Wal-Mart sack would not be good for the employer's business."

Wooten said he did not see the harm in the photo, which he said was made by a friend who spliced a picture of Wooten's head on to a shot of another man's body.

"When I first seen it, I pretty near died laughing," he said.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jan 7 2005, 04:26 PM)
Wal-Mart greeter sacked over picture of himself covered by only a shopping bag

Canadian Press

January 7, 2005

MUSCATINE, Iowa (AP) - A Wal-Mart greeter was sacked for apparently showing too much of his friendly side to customers.

Dean Wooten, 65, was accused of greeting customers with a computer-generated photo of himself in which he appeared to be naked - except for a carefully placed Wal-Mart bag - and of telling customers that Wal-Mart was cutting costs and the sack was the company's new uniform.

A supervisor at the Muscatine store where Wooten had worked for seven years told him to knock it off after customers complained. He was fired five days later, in September, after he displayed the photo again.

Wooten's application for unemployment compensation was rejected by an administrative law judge who said "a reasonable person would know the act of showing a naked body wearing a Wal-Mart sack would not be good for the employer's business."

Wooten said he did not see the harm in the photo, which he said was made by a friend who spliced a picture of Wooten's head on to a shot of another man's body.

"When I first seen it, I pretty near died laughing," he said.

Yeah, I heard about that today. Never too old to be a perv, I guess.

Wal-Mart on PR blitz

Company says it's time to 'draw our own line in the sand' on charges of discrimination, harassment.

January 13, 2005: 9:46 AM EST

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world's biggest retailer, launched a national advertising campaign Thursday in an effort to burnish an image that has been tarnished by claims about its hiring practices, stance toward labor unions and actions against smaller competitors.

The company is running a full-page advertisement in more than a hundred newspapers, touting the number of jobs it plans to create in 2005, its employee-benefit packages and the diversity of its workers. The company also has started a Web site to support its campaign.

The ad, which is running in newspapers such as USA Today and The Wall Street Journal, says the company plans to create 100,000 U.S. jobs in 2005 and that 74 percent of its hourly employees work full-time.

"For too long, others have had free rein to say things about our company that just aren't true," Chairman Lee Scott said in a statement. "We've decided it's time to draw our own line in the sand."

The national campaign comes after Wal-Mart (unchanged at $54.08, Research) ran an advertising campaign to overcome resistance to its presence in California, where it has faced particularly strong protests.

The company spent $500,000 in a successful bid to defeat a California ballot measure requiring larger employers to pay for health-care coverage for workers. But California lawmakers have said they would hold hearings to investigate claims that Wal-Mart burdens the state with an unfair portion of the retailer's employee health-care costs.

Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart also faces a lawsuit, filed in 2001, that accuses it of discriminating against female employees and retaliating against those who complained. In September, a job applicant sued the retailer in federal court, claiming that the company discriminates against African-American employees seeking work as truck drivers.

Wal-Mart has about 3,660 stores in the U.S. and more than 1,500 stores internationally. The company has annual sales of $256 billion -- about the same size as the gross domestic product of Austria.

Thanks Sodoff for this one:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../clerk_abducted

Abducted Wal-Mart Clerk's Body Found

1 hour, 22 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

TYLER, Texas - A woman who was abducted from a parking lot while leaving work at a Wal-Mart was found shot to death Friday, police said. A suspect was in custody in Arizona.

Tyler Police Chief Gary Swindle confirmed the body of Megan Leann Holden, a 19-year-old college student from Henderson whose kidnapping was captured on videotape late Wednesday, was found.

"It is apparent that she has died of a gunshot wound," he said, declining to give details.

A surveillance videotape "shows Megan getting into her truck and the (man) running up behind her and either hitting her or pushing her," police spokesman Don Martin said earlier. "Then the vehicle drives off."

The body was found in Martin County in West Texas, Martin said.

Said Swindle: "At this point in time there's no doubt this was a total stranger abduction."

Authorities in Willcox, Ariz., were holding Johnny Lee Williams, 24, for investigation in the missing woman's case, said Carol Capas, a spokeswoman for the Cochise County (Ariz.) Sheriff's Department.

He was treated at a hospital Friday for a gunshot wound, apparently inflicted in a robbery attempt, Capas said. He was to be questioned by Texas police and the FBI (news - web sites), who were en route to Willcox.

Holden, a clerk at the Wal-Mart store, had clocked out at 11:43 p.m. Wednesday, Martin said.

He and Swindle both said Williams was considered a suspect.

Capas said Williams is believed to have been shot during an attempted robbery at an RV park northeast of Willcox. A man at the RV park told authorities he had shot a man who had pulled a gun on him and demanded money.

Williams was treated at Northern Cochise Community Hospital for a gunshot wound to the shoulder, Capas said.

When the wounded man was found at the hospital, authorities determined that the pickup truck he had been driving was linked to the Texas kidnapping case.

The FBI has joined the investigation, Tyler police said.

Wal-Mart surveillance tape shows a man, about 20 to 25 years old, in a long, dark coat, apparently the abductor, loitering around the front entrance to the store "for a good period of time," Martin said.

He was also seen on tape about 1 1/2 hours before the abduction, emerging from a bathroom and walking around inside the store.

Canadian Wal-Mart seeking union to close

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Adam Geller

Feb. 9, 2005 | New York -- Wal-Mart Stores Inc. said Wednesday it will close a Canadian store whose workers are on the verge of becoming the first ever to win a union contract from the world's biggest retailer.

Wal-Mart said it was shuttering the store in Jonquiere, Quebec, in response to unreasonable demands from union negotiators, that would make it impossible for the store to sustain its business. The United Food & Commercial Workers Canada last week asked Quebec labor officials to appoint a mediator, saying that negotiations had reached an impasse.

"We were hoping it wouldn't come to this," said Andrew Pelletier, a spokesman for Wal-Mart Canada. "Despite nine days of meetings over three months, we've been unable to reach an agreement with the union that in our view will allow the store to operate efficiently and profitably."

Pelletier said the store will close in May. The retailer had first discussed closing the Jonquiere store last October, saying that the store was losing money.

A spokesman for the UFCW said Wednesday the union had not yet seen the retailer's statement, and that leaders were traveling and not immediately available for comment.

Some employees at the store said they believed the store was closing because of their agreement to join the union and several cried as they left the store. They told Radio-Canada TV that an announcement had been made and they were not allowed to ask questions.

The store in Jonquiere, about 240 miles northeast of Montreal, became the first unionized Wal-Mart store in North America last September, after the bargaining unit was certified by provincial labor officials. Since then, workers at a second Quebec store have also been granted union status. Neither had reached a contract.

The union efforts at both stores are part of a larger chess game labor organizers are waging with Wal-Mart at stores across Canada. The campaign, financed by UFCW money from both Canada and the United States, is also geared to captured the attention of workers in Wal-Mart's home country.

The closest a U.S. union has ever come to winning a battle with Wal-Mart was in 2000, at a store in Jacksonville, Texas. In that store, 11 workers -- all members of the store's meatpacking department -- voted to join and be represented by the UFCW.

That effort failed when Wal-Mart eliminated the job of meatcutter companywide, and moved away from in-store meatcutting to stocking only pre-wrapped meat.

Recently, some workers in the tire department of a Wal-Mart store in Colorado have sought union representation, and the National Labor Relations Board has said it intends to schedule a vote.

Wal-Mart spokesman Pelletier said the company was closing in Jonquiere because of unreasonable union demands over scheduling and staffing, and the UFCW's refusal to detail its pay requirements. The union's demands would have forced the retailer to add 30 people to the existing payroll of 190, and guarantee many workers additional hours, he said.

"In our view, the union demands failed to appreciate the fragile conditions of the store," he said.

I"m with you on this Barney. I hate to shop at Wal-Mart, but I live in a small town; when wally-world moved in they closed everything down. So now there's no choice. Wal-Mart+Disney+McDonalds=The Triad of Evil. You almost never see one without the other now.