CAMRA member

Are there any CAMRA members in the states canada, or anywhere else in the world on this forum?

I have just been educated by the good fellows (daveyt trink39.gif ) on this forum that the appreciation and consumption of ales is alive an kicking in the U.S.A.

I am now trying to find out more on ales types(not brands but cask conditioned and bottle conditioned etc) and availability in the world.

It seem ales are primarily consumed from bottles in the usa, although cask conditioned ales are becoming more popular there. New york now has 9 bars to my amazement that serve cask conditioned ales, and I have found people in the states that are members of CAMRA!! HOORAAAHHH.

Camra is the campaign for 'real ales'.

The term 'real ales' means cask conditioned ale. This means that the ale is alive with yeast, still getting a continous or second fermentation up to the point of consumption - fresh.

It is the most natural of Ales. No additional c02 is added. The only c02 present is from the natural reaction between the sugar and yeast.

The Cask itself is housed in the pubs cellar, no additional cooling is added, this will only mask the flavor on your pallete. The bartender has to know his stuff. When to tap the cask, handling, it letting the yeast seddiment settle etc.

Due to its natural state once opened it has to be consumed quickly, the big brewers hate this and are trying to push out real ales with artificial crap, hence CAMRA.

The Experince of drinking Cask conditioned ales.

MMM.... I have drank the same brand of ale from a bottle (not bottle conditioned) and then from a cask conditioned format, and the difference between the two is remarkable.

The cask conditioned ale is alive, it jumps on your taste buds.

No gassy fizzy c02 artificial substitute is needed because of the yeast aliveness. The depth of flavor is wild. Its quite an experience fresh and lively, and then there are the different brands themselves with their flavors.

There are bottle conditioned ales worth checking out. Some English ones are Fullers 1845 bottle conditioned and Whitebreads white label.

The bottle conditioned try to emulate the cask conditioned ale format flavor.

Now these ales do have yeast in the bottle, and it quite possible to leave them like a wine to let the yeast eat up the sugar, deepening the flavor.

The bottled conditioned ales still do not compare to cask conditioned however.

Well Thats about it for now I'm off for a beer, I'd love to hear from any other people on the subject of their favorite brew

trink39.gif

Steve

Hey Tangdog

How long has your local brewery been making cask conditioned ale?- green man

+ Do you know where it is distributed - what bar, is it local?

I am also trying to find conditioned bottled ale, I know it's out there in the U.S.A.

Nice one with the ozrics. I have erpland on cd and pungent effulgent on tape!! Love that reggae song on erpland, the only one with singing. What a lovely bassline!

I would be grateful if you could help with the cask ale quest.

trink38.gif

Tangdog

Is this it?

Jack of the Wood Public House and Brewery (Green Man Brewing Company)

95 Patton Avenue

Asheville, North Carolina, 28801-3316

This looks good man, theres quite a few in your area that sell green man cask conditioned ale, and the site I went to, warned you with the public houses that do not sell cask conditioned.

Whats it like, green man?

Opinion please if you could?

I'm well excited about this.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ May 22 2007, 10:27 AM)
Tangdog

Is this it?

Jack of the Wood Public House and Brewery (Green Man Brewing Company)
95 Patton Avenue
Asheville, North Carolina, 28801-3316

This looks good man, theres quite a few in your area that sell green man cask conditioned ale, and the site I went to, warned you with the public houses that do not sell cask conditioned.

Whats it like, green man?

Opinion please if you could?

I'm well excited about this.

trink39.gif

Yes, thats it. Its excellent. I will try to dig up some more info for you and post it here in the near future.

One bottle conditioned product I like is Bridgeport IPA.

Be right back with more info.

CITIZEN-TIMES.com

New brewer crafting beer at Green Man

Tony Kiss

April 18, 2007 12:15 am

Everything changes. That includes the local beer scene. Brewers go. New ones arrive. But whenever there's a brewer change, it always leads to some conversation and a concern - at least, for those of us who closely follow the scene.

Will popular beers go away? What kind of new brews will we see? You get the idea.

There was a buzz a few weeks back, when Karl Melissas left Green Man Brewing (which makes beer for Jack of the Wood pub). The new brewer is John Stuart, who came here from the Park Tavern in the Piedmont Park section of Atlanta and has a lot of brewing experience.

He wasted no time getting to work at Green Man and has been cranking out the beer. Those brews can be enjoyed at both the Buxton Avenue brewery, (also known as Dirty Jacks) and the Jack of the Wood Pub on Patton Avenue. Green Man beers are also served out at the North Star Diner in Weaverville.

Having sampled more than a few of Stuart's beers, it's obvious that he knows what he's doing. In Atlanta, he was making a pilsner, a pale ale and an amber ale. At Jack of the Wood, customers have come to expect a certain range of beers: bitter, pales, porters, stout and more. Stuart will put his own touch on those beers, as any brewer will, but I'm not expecting any drastic changes.

Dirty Jacks is also known for its cask ale - the old-school naturally carbonated beer that's served a little warmer. Worry not, it's still on draft at the brewery.

http://www.take5online.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...heme=THEBEERGUY

QUOTE (condemned2bfree @ May 22 2007, 11:17 AM)
Tandog your a star!

Keep them coming whenever you find info.

trink39.gif

Always glad to help a fellow ale lover! Particulary one that likes the Ozrics. That reggae tune is called Isence I believe. One of my favorites too!

trink39.gif

This is brilliant.

That Stuart guy who has taken over the green man seems to know his stuff.

Man, those are impressive conditioned casks in the photo.

It 's really good that a picture of the ale conditioning casks are shown.

That Jack of wood's public house looks well worth a visit. They seem to have quite a range of ales -and its cask conditioned! woo woo! Wish I could try some mmm

This is reassuring stuff.

My journey to find more cask conditioned ale and public houses in the usa and canada continues. Any additional info would be greatly received.

This has inspired my reasearch no end

Thanks Tangdog

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

That really is the business tangdog

How did I not find that little beauty eh.gif

That will help no end now. I can be selective on the states I know serve cask conditioned ales, California looks a treat!

And wataya know, you found your old school buddy serves cask ale, ha Beautiful karma man. Is that in your home state?

Nice bit of energy, really nice.

trink39.gif Tangdog

Edited by condemned2bfree

There are several breweries in my area that make cask conditioned stuff, but only a couple come to my immediate recall. One is on the Oregon Coast at the rogue brewery: www.rogue.com - This is a great brewery if you like trying all elements of the spectrum. Last month they had a cask conditioned mocha nut porter and barley wine. The other is the Laurelwood Brewery in Portland. They make cask conditioned stuff but I can't remember if it's seasonal or not. Seems like it's usually a porter or a stout. They are currently expanding their brewing operation just blocks away and you can check them out at www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com -- I highly recommend the Pacific NW brew scene for those in other places that find themselves coming this direction. It's worth the time if you have the bent.

I know there are many more....One place I like to go that doesn't make any but always has at least one (if not three) on tap at any one time is the Horse Brass Pub (www.horsebrass.com) They get a selection from all over and it's like having a cask du jour every week.

Just my two cents for whatever it's worth

trink38.gif

trink39.gif Omegaconcern66 for your knowledge.

I will check it out in a moment, it sounds exciting with your local brewery expanding.

The horse Brass pub sounds just the ticket. New ales every week mmmmm fantastic stuff. It has to be done!!!

Good to hear from another cask conditioned ale lover!!

trink39.gif

No problemo, Condemned-

The Horse Brass certainly is the ticket, for me. While they don't make any beer, they certainly have one of the best imported and microbrew selections on tap, cask or not, anywhere in metro Portland. It's the only place I've ever seen any of the Belgian Lambics on tap.

Also nearby is the Belmont Station. It used to be next door to the Horse Brass but just lately moved a block away. It is a beer store to be true: beer towels, beer mirrors, beer glasses, beer shirts...and, oh, yes, beer. Over 800 beers to select from. This is not a joke. I've been able to pursue lots of flavors there and the staff is knowledeable. They are at: www.belmont-station.com

If you ever find yourself in this town, there is no better venue for the true beer conniseur.

While it is no longer my full-time vocation, I have bartended for twenty years. Still do it part-time. I've done lots of blind tastings and have aquired some useful knowledge over the years on the food and drink world. Please bleed me for such information whenever you like. Even if it's not my flavor, I think I'm always worth a suggestion or two.

Cheers martini_shaken.gif

Hey Omegaconcern66

Cask conditioned ale at the Horse brass public house Portland, Oregon.

Deschutes Mirror Pond (Seattle, WA)

Hale's Mongoose IPA (Seattle, WA)

Mt. Hood Hogsback Stout (Government Camp, OR)

Rogue YSB [Younger's Special Bitter] (Newport, OR)

Superb!!!!

Have you tried any of these and their bottled counterparts?

And as an experienced bartender how did you find cask conditioned ales? please expand on this, I'd love to hear your knowledge on cask ales and the ale/bar scene in USA?

Additional - Just noticed omegaconcern66 that the last two cask conditoned ales at the horse brass, are brewed in Oregon. smile.gif

Cheers

Edited by condemned2bfree

Condemned-

Due to time constraints in my daily routine I don't often get to sample as often as I'd like. However, this weekend is an exception. Aside from some recreational gardening and light housekeeping, I have no plans but to rest myself. I believe my ramblings have been quietly fueled by the idea that my rare weekend of moderate tranquility involves a Gulden Drak and some other choice selections I have made to keep me company. With that in mind, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite quotes on the subject:

"Filled with mingled cream and amber

I will drain that glass again.

Such hilarious visions clamber

Through the chambers of my brain--

Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies

Come to life and fade away;

Who cares how time advances?

I am drinking ale today...."

--Edgar Allen Poe

More later--

Omegaconcern66

Omegaconcerns experience of the positive impact of local beer production in the local community.

Its amazing what local business and supporting you home beer can do.

The impact of getting behind your local brew can provide rejuvenation - buildings, jobs for people in your town, and promoting great tasting beer that your hometown will be known for. Beer + prosperity? Why yes!

All this potential with the added bonus of socializing with your mates in your local community when you drink your local tasty brew. Cask beer by its very nature, does not travel well - anyone had a skunky bottled conditioned hens tooth?

Beer production is a very precarious business, here today, gone tomorrow, - so get behind yours in your hometown!

Yes this view may be romantic in its sentiment, but as omegaconcerns experience showns it can happen!

The big corporate breweries are faceless and removed from your community, the rejuvenation is less localized, and some ultimately wish to produce crap beer for ease of profits.

Certain less natural beers do not spoil in casks for an age.

Omega its interesting to know that your state was the catalyst for micro, I hope the prosperity and great tasting beer production there continues!

Enterprise brewery(terminal gravity) seems to be on the up+ up, hoorah!

Don't worry about rambling omega, your knowledge is goldust smile.gif

trink39.gif