Is S & A Rush's darkest album?

ReflectedLight

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 19 2007, 03:29 PM)
The music is great and all, but a few of the songs are a bit on the depressing side. Sometimes I don't want to listen to them because of the lyrics. What do you'll think?

Music is superb ! 1022.gif I agree on the lyrics.

Maybe it's similar to when I used to listen to Iron Maiden.

I liked the music, but the lyrics were pretty bad.

Snakes and Arrows, the music is great and so are the lyrics, but some of them are depressing and too serious.

I know I know, Neil was writing what was on his mind, but I doubt Alex and Geddy were thinking about the faith stuff going into this album, or maybe they were. unsure.gif

Great though...

For darkest album it's a toss-up for me. The 2112 album is mostly dark, even though the red star is really bright:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/one.jpg

I think overall I would have to say Caress Of Steel as it's pretty dark overall with the bronze on dark green theme:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/two.jpg

Incidentally, I think their lightest albums are either their first one, or GUP:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/four.jpg http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/three.jpg

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 19 2007, 02:50 PM)
Would love to here lyrics about travel experiences, and good times shared over the years. Maybe another song with lyrics similar to "Making Memories".

Sounds a lot like Workin' Them Angels. The verses of WTA, at least, are pretty upbeat. I love the "turn up the music and smile" line. Reminds me somehow of Spirit of Radio. wub.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 19 2007, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ May 19 2007, 02:50 PM)
Would love to here lyrics about travel experiences, and good times shared over the years.  Maybe another song with lyrics similar to "Making Memories".

Sounds a lot like Workin' Them Angels. The verses of WTA, at least, are pretty upbeat. I love the "turn up the music and smile" line. Reminds me somehow of Spirit of Radio. wub.gif

I love that song, and it's such a simple piece of lyric, but it does sound great when Geddy belts out those words.

QUOTE (Mr. Ludwig @ May 19 2007, 04:09 PM)
I think GUP would have to be their darkest (lyrically) album.

goodpost.gif

Love GUP...but it is clearly dark...probably darker than S&A...IMO...

2.gif

QUOTE (hope70 @ May 19 2007, 02:29 PM)
The music is great and all, but a few of the songs are a bit on the depressing side. Sometimes I don't want to listen to them because of the lyrics. What do you'll think?

I agree, except for the music being great part.

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 19 2007, 05:27 PM)
The lyrics should've been closer to the style of You Bet Your Life.......

Yeah, really. They clearly should be doing more songs that feature some kind of revolting psuedo rapping/chanting chorus that makes your skin crawl.

Just for fun, they could bring back Rupert Hine to trick up Geddy's voice and do some more awful sounding group chorus crap ala Superconductor, Face Up,...etc.

That would be sweet.

I don't know, the previous one, VT, was pretty dark. The subject matter of S&A is serious, but I don't really see the lyrics as being overly dark or depressive. They're mostly true to life and inspiring.

Nothing beats Caress Of Steel, though; that's surely Rush's darkest album.

QUOTE (Hemispheric Waves @ May 19 2007, 10:43 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 19 2007, 05:27 PM)
The lyrics should've been closer to the style of You Bet Your Life.......

Yeah, really. They clearly should be doing more songs that feature some kind of revolting psuedo rapping/chanting chorus that makes your skin crawl.

Just for fun, they could bring back Rupert Hine to trick up Geddy's voice and do some more awful sounding group chorus crap ala Superconductor, Face Up,...etc.

That would be sweet.

no doubt.

Lyrically it's their darkest because it's just so negative from almost start to finish, but musically I would have to give it to Caress of Steel. That album just sounds like it needs to be listened to in a dark, damp cave.

Archived