Mellotron

Henri

What's wrong with me? I can't hear the Mellotron, what track is it on?

QUOTE (Henri @ May 10 2007, 01:46 PM)

I don't know about TMMB but it's on Faithless along with Ben Mink's violin. I believe Geddy Lee said he used it on Good News First as well.

QUOTE (MaxSmart @ May 10 2007, 02:05 PM)

I don't know about TMMB but it's on Faithless along with Ben Mink's violin. I believe Geddy Lee said he used it on Good News First as well.

Yeah, I hear Moog/bass pedal on TMMB and Far Cry and Mellotron on Faithless and Good News First. I think I hear some sort of keyboard on Bravest Face as well.

Yeah, I don't hear much mellotron either. I was hoping to hear a little of the classic mellotron strings and choir sounds (Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks), but I don't hear that at all. unsure.gif

I DO hear a little keyboard melody in Good News First that must be the mellotron. It's a high strings section type line that plays during the bridge ("Some will say they never fear a thing, well I do..."). It plays throughout the bridge, but is pretty far back in the mix. You can hear it best at 3:05, 3:14, and 3:21.

By the way, if you haven't yet listened to S&A on a good pair of headphones be sure to give that a try. There are a lot of details like this little melody that I only picked up on my Sony MDR-V600s.

Others have said it, but let me underscore it THERE IS NO MELLOTRON ON "FAITHLESS." That's real strings courtesy of Ben Mink.

The only place I've for sure heard the mellotron is in the intro of "Good News First," and it's mixed pretty low.

@My_Shrimp_Cot: I respectfully disagree. I haven't heard anything recognizable as a mellotron on TMMB, especially not "up front" in the mix. Now, granted, since a mellotron is basically just a fancy tape player, you can put pretty much whatever sounds into it that you want. (The BBC used an early mellotron called a Chamberlain as a sound effects trigger on Dr. Who!) But given that the mellotron only appears on the album because there happened to be one in the studio (Geddy was quoted as saying he hadn't seen one in years), I doubt they had any unusual sounds on it.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ May 11 2007, 12:41 AM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 11 2007, 12:16 AM)
There is mellotron in the Faithless choruses, no?

Hmmm, I think those are real strings courtesy of Ben Mink.

Also the mellotron. One of the recent interviews (don't remember which of course) Geddy said the mellotron was used in Faithless, in addition to violin.

Archived