phase pedal help

daveyt

not sure if this is the correct effect but i'm looking for a pedal that will come close to what THE EDGE uses on the second half of ZOOROPA. it is a phase pedal?

any good examples of classic phase sounds on your favorite music tracks are most welcome yes.gif

MXR Phase 90 if you can find one.

i tried out 3 different types today including the EVH phaser, the MXR, and another stereo phaser with many dials. i chose the EDV cause when busting out with some of rush's DISCOVERY you swear alex lifeson was in the store yes.gif oh, yeah, and it will duplicate THE EDGE for what i need.

thanks fellas!

QUOTE (daveyt @ May 7 2007, 04:03 PM)
i tried out 3 different types today including the EVH phaser, the MXR, and another stereo phaser with many dials. i chose the EDV cause when busting out with some of rush's DISCOVERY you swear alex lifeson was in the store yes.gif oh, yeah, and it will duplicate THE EDGE for what i need.

thanks fellas!

Put a distortion pedal in front of that pedal for some crazy jet plane type effects. Phase is fun.

I have the Boss P3 Phase Shifter and the Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler. The P3 is a great Phaser. Setting the pahse shifting to 4 and using the other settings for vintage phase shifting in the owner's manual, I get a sound that to me is very reminiscent of Lerxst on 2112, especially the Soliloquoy, as well as the slighly overdriven guitar break in the Overture.

Lerxst used pahsing a lot on those early albums. In fact, a lot of what I thought was chorus was actually phaser, much to my delight, as the phaser is my favorite effect.

As for the sound The Edge is getting, I can't say about the song originally mentioned at the top of this thread, I don't own Zooropa, but the phaser is all over Achtung Baby, especially Mysterious Ways and The Fly.

In case you are wondering, the phaser in the Line 6 MM4 is modeled after the MXR Phase 90, and the owner's manul even mentions EVH's sound on the early Van Halen albums. I haven't really had the time to really compare the two to see which I like best, but I keep my Boss P3 as the first pedal in my effects chain, followed by the Boss Super Overdrive, and then the MM4, and Electro-Harmonix Wiggler, and a Boss DD20 Giga Delay.

Chris

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ May 7 2007, 11:01 AM)
MXR Phase 90 if you can find one.

Yep, that's the one and only. A classic pedal. Good luck finding one, although I'm sure they are out there.