Holy Bouzouki!

sullysue

I'd never heard of a bouzouki until I read it on the back of the S&A booklet. After seeing what it looks like, I imagine it sounds similar to a mandolin. But, where does Alex play it on S&A?

A bouzouki (I think this is a Greek bouzouki):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/ssullysue/Bouzouki.gif

The bouzouki (plural sometimes transliterated as bouzoukia) is the mainstay of modern Greek music as well as other Balkan folk music, particularly of Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is also found in Irish music. It is a stringed instrument with a pear-shaped body and a very long neck. The bouzouki is a member of the 'long neck lute' family and is similar to a mandola. The front of the body is flat and is usually heavily inlaid with mother-of-pearl. The instrument is played with a plectrum and has a sharp metallic sound.

There are three main types of bouzouki:

Trichordo having three pairs of strings (courses).

Tetrachordo having four pairs of strings.

Irish having four pairs of strings and a flat back.

I think it's in "Workin' Them Angels." Maybe?

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 4 2007, 02:15 PM)
I'd never heard of a bouzouki until I read it on the back of the S&A booklet. After seeing what it looks like, I imagine it sounds similar to a mandolin. But, where does Alex play it on S&A?

The bouzouki (plural sometimes transliterated as bouzoukia) is the mainstay of modern Greek music as well as other Balkan folk music, particularly of Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina. It is also found in Irish music. It is a stringed instrument with a pear-shaped body and a very long neck. The bouzouki is a member of the 'long neck lute' family and is similar to a mandola. The front of the body is flat and is usually heavily inlaid with mother-of-pearl. The instrument is played with a plectrum and has a sharp metallic sound.

could be it at 2:38 of Workin Them Angels

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 4 2007, 03:24 PM)
Hmmm. OK. Anywhere else?

I don't hear it anyplace else. So there's my EXPERT musical opinion.

yes.gif

What? unsure.gif

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 4 2007, 03:27 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ May 4 2007, 03:24 PM)
Hmmm. OK. Anywhere else?

I don't hear it anyplace else. So there's my EXPERT musical opinion.

yes.gif

What? unsure.gif

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

Sounds good to me. Am I an expert now, too? biggrin.gif

Much like the transformation the mandolin went thru after Orville Gibson redesigned them modern bozoukis don't look much like their Greek ancestors. They most resemble an octave mandolin with longer scales usually and have the pairs of strings typically tuned octaves apart, not unlike a 12 string guitar. A lot of builders even make bozoukis that have guitar bodies and from a distance you might even have trouble telling them apart just by looks. They have a deep, droning sound and I think that Alex plays one on The Way The Wind Blows in that acoustic/vocal break near the end "like a solitary pine"...that's either the bozouki or octave mandolin for sure, especially a flat-top version like a guitar.

Here's an example of a modern, fairly inexpensive bouzouki:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/PBZ1-MPL.htm

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 4 2007, 02:15 PM)

Wouldn't it be wild if Al started smashing up his at the end of the encore a'la Pete Townsend?

That would surely send the crowd into a frenzy.

1022.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 4 2007, 03:48 PM)
QUOTE (BruceMcc @ May 4 2007, 03:47 PM)
I always thought it was a Mandolin in WTA.. (at 2:38)

Nah, too deep for standard mandolin.

I thought it sounded too high for a mandolin.

Archived