The Weapon

barney_rebel

I'm reviving this thread.

The Weapon is a great tune. The drums may not be as great as one expects them to be, but give Geddy a break. He wrote the drum beats. Along with his friend Oscar, I believe. The song is great to listen to while you're in a vengeful mood.

"He's not afraid of your judgement, he knows of horrors worse then your Hell..."

In my opinion, its the worst of the 'Fear' series. Good lyrics, but I find the tune too '80's, like much of the album really. I hated all that synth only stuff provided by the likes of Gary Numan, and the song reminds me too much of this kind of music.

The irony is, that the album as a whole is quite enjoyable, without a really poor track on it, but it lies in the middle of my 'best-of' rankings.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 12 2004, 10:41 PM)
Actually it reminds me of that 80's New Wave tune, "We Fade to Grey" by Visage.

One hit wonder.

...that's the one! I was trying to remember, you got it wacko.gif

The sequencer and the bass drum working together kind of make it reminiscent of disco. YYZ is kinda similar to disco, but not as much as the Weapon. I like the Weapon a lot, even though I have always hated disco.

I quite like it. It started off life as a Geddy Lee solo disco tune project, and wasn't intended to have a human drummer.

I do think Neil struggles very slightly with the drum machine beat, but then any human drummer probably would.

It's very reminiscent of an old tune by an English New Romantic band called Visage, recorded a year or so before it I think.

[edit: just read through the whole thread and see that a couple of people have beat me to that last observation biggrin.gif]

I love this song so much mainly because of the buildup to the main theme's return, at the end of the instrumental section. The last part of Alex's solo builds up this massive amount of energy, and then it's all released with the recap (combined with the fancy drumrolls). I could listen to that moment all day. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Archived