Your feelings on John Rutsey

The Owl

I hate to see many threads bashing on Rutsey. Though in Retrospect It was very, VERY fortunate that he left and Rush got Neil. But just because he is not Neil dosen't make him a bad drummer or Person. I love the first Rush album and his drumming on the album was very good. The first album was reaching for a Led Zeppelin feel, and Rutsey made good strides to play good. And he indeed have a durmming style like that of John Bonham.

It is ture that had Rutsey stayed in the Band, its questionable where the Band would have went. we will never know. All I am trying to say is lets not badmouth the guy. He does not regret his decision leaving the band. We should not make him feel such.

And lets face it. The guy CO-FOUNDED RUSH, and as much as I love Neil, he can't even say that.

I guess he was a very fine drummer in his time.Although I can't get myself to listen to the debut album very much,from the couple of times I've listened,I can say that he was actually very good.

It's just bad for him to have been replaced by a legend.

QUOTE (Blakean99 @ Apr 22 2007, 12:07 PM)
There's barely enough evidence to make a reasonable judgement of Rutsey. I suppose you can judge the ONE album he participated on, and I think he did a good job on it.

I agree. He did a fine job drumming on the debut, but that's really all we have for judgment, along with the Not Fade Away/You Can't Fight It single. I have nothing against the guy either, he left due to diabetes and dislike of touring, but his departure was also the blueprint for success for Rush when Neil joined up.

unsure.gif Threads are bashing on John Rutsey??? Thats kinda f**ked up ain't it? unsure.gif

Ok so he's a completely different person than Neil Peart. John served his purpose in the band. Many bands break up because members want to move different directions musically. John didn't stay. big deal. Why bash him? His drum playing is great on the first album. Hey, the lyrics John wrote, like all of them, aren't too shabby either. tongue.gif I like Here Again yes.gif

Oh my God, look ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif first album logo ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Apr 22 2007, 01:26 PM)
ohmy.gifk so he's a completely different person than Neil Peart. John served his purpose in the band. Many bands break up because members want to move different directions musically. John didn't stay. big deal. Why bash him? His drum playing is great on the first album.

Right on! That's how I feel. A good drummer, just lacking the precision and creativity of Neil IMO.

John Rutsey left 2.gif and became a body builder wtf.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2007, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Apr 22 2007, 08:02 AM)
He was a solid drummer, he didn't play bad at all. His drumming was just right for those songs.

End of thread.

Nope! this is the end of the thread...

Good Night John boy.

unsure.gif

unsure.gif Threads are bashing on John Rutsey??? Thats kinda f**ked up ain't it? unsure.gif
Ok so he's a completely different person than Neil Peart. John served his purpose in the band. Many bands break up because members want to move different directions musically. John didn't stay. big deal. Why bash him? His drum playing is great on the first album. Hey, the lyrics John wrote, like all of them, aren't too shabby either. tongue.gif I like Here Again yes.gif
Oh my God, look ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif first album logo ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

trink39.gif

I might be wrong but didnt Geddy have to write the lyrics? John was intended too but for some reason he ripped them all up and left Geddy to write them. Might be wrong though.

My thoughts? Randomly speaking, I wonder if his friends called him Jack.

QUOTE (BrainPaint @ Apr 22 2007, 06:45 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 22 2007, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (nic2112nic @ Apr 22 2007, 08:02 AM)
He was a solid drummer, he didn't play bad at all. His drumming was just right for those songs.

End of thread.

Nope! this is the end of the thread...

Good Night John boy.

unsure.gif

wrong again

When it comes to drums:

Rutsey > Me

QUOTE (GeddyLeeFender @ Apr 22 2007, 06:41 PM)
Oh my God, look ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  first album logo  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif   
2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif  2.gif 

trink39.gif

I might be wrong but didnt Geddy have to write the lyrics? John was intended too but for some reason he ripped them all up and left Geddy to write them. Might be wrong though.

tongue.gif Dude, you could so totally be right. I do know that he didn't write In the Mood unsure.gif

Shit now I'm freaked out!

unsure.gif

Archived