The Official Runner's Thread

deadwing2112

Hello Rush Runners!!!!

Running and sport has been on the back burner for me since the beginning of the year when my wife gave birth to our first son. Raaaaaayy!!

Obviously, my wife and my new family have been my top priority since then, but there was part of me which still really wanted to do a Spring marathon, so I agreed with myself I would with the following restrictions:

1. No training at weekends.

2. Only miss 4 bathtimes due to training

3. Other than when I'm miss bathtime, no training in the evening.

So, I had the opportunity to do 4 longer runs since the beginning of the year. I did an 11 miler, two 15 milers, and, last night, a 20 miler.

Other than that, I've done spin classes twice a week at lunchtime and thrown in a few 6 milers along the way (I can make the, my commute home).

The marathon I'm doing is the Brighton Marathon on 18 April. It's going to be slooooooow, but as long as I can do it without complete shame I think 'Why not?'

To give you an idea of where I am, my 20 mile time yesterday was 3 hours 30 minutes. A pace that could kindly be described as 'gentlemanly'. But, hey, it's where I am right now.

My brother is also doing the Brighton Marathon. He's trained up to a bionic level and it looks like he'll be finishing in a little over an hour before me!

Happy running all!

Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ Mar 31 2010, 06:29 PM)
Hello Rush Runners!!!!

Running and sport has been on the back burner for me since the beginning of the year when my wife gave birth to our first son. Raaaaaayy!!

Obviously, my wife and my new family have been my top priority since then, but there was part of me which still really wanted to do a Spring marathon, so I agreed with myself I would with the following restrictions:

1. No training at weekends.
2. Only miss 4 bathtimes due to training
3. Other than when I'm miss bathtime, no training in the evening.

So, I had the opportunity to do 4 longer runs since the beginning of the year. I did an 11 miler, two 15 milers, and, last night, a 20 miler.

Other than that, I've done spin classes twice a week at lunchtime and thrown in a few 6 milers along the way (I can make the, my commute home).

The marathon I'm doing is the Brighton Marathon on 18 April. It's going to be slooooooow, but as long as I can do it without complete shame I think 'Why not?'

To give you an idea of where I am, my 20 mile time yesterday was 3 hours 30 minutes. A pace that could kindly be described as 'gentlemanly'. But, hey, it's where I am right now.

My brother is also doing the Brighton Marathon. He's trained up to a bionic level and it looks like he'll be finishing in a little over an hour before me!

Happy running all!

Disco

Fair play to you, Disco!!!

And congrats!! Hope your little man is well.

Congrats on the tot, Disco!

I hear you about running being on the back burner. I have really tried to make some serious time commitment into running a few times a week. Best of luck in your marathon new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

My happy news is my fiance bought me a Garmin watch to run with! It's awesome. GPS and all. Tonight, it said I averaged 8:43 pace for 4.02 miles exactly LOL.

Anyways, it's a fun toy and I'm happy I got it.

My Hilly Half (as I am dubbing it) is not this weekend but the next. I want to say I am looking forward to it but I know it's not going to be pretty.. I'm so bad on hills!

Thank you both for your kind words of congratulation, the little one is our first so it's all a new adventure to us, and one we're loving.

Just a quick one to say good luck with the Hilly Half!

Disco

Congrats on the new arrival Disco.

Hope you have a great time at Brighton. Keep an eye out for Marillion's keyboard player Mark Kelly I know he's running it too.

-----------------

Hope your hilly half goes well Iluvgeddy.

My technique for hills is keep your eyes down, the hill isn't going anywhere, and just imagine the road in front of you is flat. It works for me smile.gif

QUOTE (plodder @ Apr 11 2010, 09:37 AM)
Congrats on the new arrival Disco.

Hope you have a great time at Brighton. Keep an eye out for Marillion's keyboard player Mark Kelly I know he's running it too.

-----------------

Hope your hilly half goes well Iluvgeddy.

My technique for hills is keep your eyes down, the hill isn't going anywhere, and just imagine the road in front of you is flat. It works for me smile.gif

Thanks!

I did a lot better than expected. I did walk up one of the big hills, but so did a lot of people. It's right at mile 10 to so it's really not fair!

My time was 2:13, which is 10 minutes over my best time. I was hoping to break 2:30 to be honest, so I will take this for sure!

Great result IluvGeddy!!! 1022.gif

That's a commendable time on the flat so great stuff to be doing it with the small matter of some hills in the way.

Love to all

Disco

Hey Disco!

How was the Brighton Marathon?

Hope you got around in one piece.

QUOTE (plodder @ Apr 19 2010, 07:08 PM)
Hey Disco!

How was the Brighton Marathon?

Hope you got around in one piece.

That's very kind of you to remember.

it was a great event. It was their inaugural event and so I was expecting some teething problems, but it just ran fantastically smoothly.

The good burghers of Brighton did themselves proud, and really came out to support the event, with loads of cheering crowds. Brighton's a great city full of a positive creative vibe and that atmosphere really came out on marathon day. I'd really recommend it as a marathon.

As to how I did, I trotted around in a gentlemanly 4 hours 23 minutes (a couple of minutes after Marillion's Mark Kelly, although I didn't see him). I certainly didn't deserve a better time and had as good a race as I could hope so I should be pleased with my time.

I ran a sensible race. I wanted to head off at between 10 and 10.5km per hours which I did, completing the first half in 2 hours 3 minutes. The only other marathon I've done is Vienna last year where everyone sets off at once, including those doing 10km and half marathons and so the pack pace is a lively 13km per hour. I got swept along and paid the price later. Ouuuuuch.

I was expecting my lack of training to kick in from about 30km (18miles for the US folk!), but I got to 35km before I was reduced to simply dragging my sorry corpse around the course. I couldn't believe how much more work I was putting in near the end, but how much slower my Garmin said I was going! I remember at about mile 23 a member of the crowd shouted 'Not far to go now!'. No, 3 miles from the beginning is close to the start, 3 miles form the end s not close to the finish!

I loved finishing next to the beach, as you could just go and have your well earned lie down by the sea.

Unfortunately, my bro had to pull out due to injury which was gutting as he was ready for about a 3hour 36 minute time. He still came down to support me which was great and made it all easy for me.

Best of luck on Sunday!!!!! I am so hyped for it!!! I

Love t all

Disco

Disco, that sounds great! Love the beach part at the end... a nice dip in the water would do wonders on your tired muscles yes.gif

Been a while since posting here. Still running but not as much and alone as well sad.gif I miss running with people -- well, ones I can somewhat keep up with.

Did 7.5 today in the rain. Felt pretty good, 9:30 average pace for the whole thing which for me is quite fast for a longerish run. At the 10K mark, i saw I was at my 10K record race time so I felt good about that.

Thing is, I felt so sick when I got back. Wayy dehydrated! I know because I didn't eat or drink well yesterday and this morning had a BIG coffee. Not smart no.gif

All I wanted was Chinese soup and SALT so that's what I got. Feel a little better, drinking lots of water and chilling out to a baseball game on TV.

Hope everyone's crazy runs are going well!

Had my first trail run of the season today! If you remember, my last trail was a race and it's how I injured my ITband -- this was back in October.

So I was nervous to get back out on trail, but excited as well. Glad to report no pain! Well, not in the knee. My bum and legs were a different story since it's been forever since running trail and, as all places to run out here, it was hilly!

I did 8 miles ohmy.gif But I truly walked maybe 1/3 of it; it was kicking my ass!

I've also been fighting some sort of cold thing this week so that didn't help.

My trail run made my sickness worse, so I've been out cold all week sad.gif

Ran tonight though -- 4 miles. Not a great time, but I'll take it.

Next goal? My 5k PR is 25:35. I want to get below that, if not sub 25... but we'll see. I have a couple 5k's next month so I hope to be ready..

Ruts in the da house!

Running for about 7 months, barefoot or Vibram Five Fingers and battling constant nagging injuries but hanging with it. The injuries are from being old and out of shape but i've actually lost 30 lbs the last year and changed my eating habits so I'm getting there.

Ran a 5K last weekend in 30 minutes which was a minute dissapointing but I had a rough week leading up to it. I do some trail running and some longer runs on the weekend but average around 3 miles about 4 times a week in the morning before work.

I listen to Rush always in my ipod.

I would keep on eye on those injuries. Be sure you're not straining your muscles to the point where you won't be able to run.

Running is the best way (IMO) to lose weight. It just falls right off! Like I said, I ended up gaining 75 lbs (I will NEVER, EVER make another snide comment about women gaining too much weight during pregnancy) with my last pregnancy and lost the weight quickly. I love to eat and refuse to eat anything low-fat or anything.

I'm tempted to try running barefoot but I don't want to risk getting an injury. I'm so curious about this though!

QUOTE (Janie @ Jun 14 2010, 08:14 PM)
I would keep on eye on those injuries. Be sure you're not straining your muscles to the point where you won't be able to run.

Running is the best way (IMO) to lose weight. It just falls right off! Like I said, I ended up gaining 75 lbs (I will NEVER, EVER make another snide comment about women gaining too much weight during pregnancy) with my last pregnancy and lost the weight quickly. I love to eat and refuse to eat anything low-fat or anything.

I'm tempted to try running barefoot but I don't want to risk getting an injury. I'm so curious about this though!

Running to lose weight works at first -- but let me tell you, once you up your miles and whatnot, you get hungrier and you have to feed yourself to be a good runner. It's annoying!

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 21 2010, 08:21 PM)
Put in six miles earlier today. smile.gif

I ran 7 last Sunday morning but my knee started acting up. It's IT Band syndrome but at least I know what it is and how to fix it so I took a few days off to do some core exercises and hit the foam roller.

I hope it clears up though since I want to do a half next month.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jun 22 2010, 12:20 PM)

I ran 7 last Sunday morning but my knee started acting up. It's IT Band syndrome but at least I know what it is and how to fix it so I took a few days off to do some core exercises and hit the foam roller.

Good job,

Watch that knee though. It's no fun having surgery on them. biggrin.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 22 2010, 07:39 PM)

Good job,

Watch that knee though. It's no fun having surgery on them. biggrin.gif trink39.gif

Yeah, watch that knee mister. You don't want to injure yourself. If that happens, you won't be running for a long time and wouldn't be able to do your half next month!

I'm thinking of getting a double jogging stroller. Thing is, then I'd be pushing 60+ lbs and I don't know if I want to risk injuring my knees. confused13.gif

Ran the Corporate Challenge for work last night. 3.5 miles in 31:40. I wasn't happy with my time, I wanted to do 30 or better. Oh well. I'm not running so well these days, it sucks!

QUOTE (Janie @ Jun 23 2010, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 22 2010, 07:39 PM)

Good job,

Yeah, watch that knee mister. You don't want to injure yourself. If that happens, you won't be running for a long time and wouldn't be able to do your half next month!

I'm thinking of getting a double jogging stroller. Thing is, then I'd be pushing 60+ lbs and I don't know if I want to risk injuring my knees. confused13.gif

My friend has one and pushes her kids around in them. She went on a 7 mile run with it the other day in stiffling heat.

Please don't be like her. I'm all for a jog w/ the double but I really wonder about the kids! I mean, 7 miles is well over an hour for the average or even good runner..

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ Jun 22 2010, 04:20 PM)

I injured my IT band last fall and it was a bitch. I could only run for a mile at first.

A must is stretching your outer thigh muscles and glutes since that muscle is connected to the IT. It's more that than your knee really. I find doing a sitting stretch, crossed legged and leaning forward stretches from your butt to your knee on the outer side and it's helpful for me.

Anyone have any tips for running in the heat? It was cool and rainy last summer so I have not experienced running in 80+ that much.

Tips please... I'm suffering!

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 23 2010, 04:56 PM)
Anyone have any tips for running in the heat? It was cool and rainy last summer so I have not experienced running in 80+ that much.

Tips please... I'm suffering!

You have to run early in the morning or late at night. In the summer, I run in shorts and a running bra.

Either that or somehow mount a fan in front of your face and get your running partner to constantly spritz you with water.