Better Venue

spirit of radio

I have never been to Scranton but out of Jones Beach, Cmaden or PNC, I would make a personal recommendation for Jones Beach (formerly Tommy Hilfiger no Nikon amphitheater). The pros: easy, accessible and ample parking with great tailgate atmosphere (beach in distance) and a venue surrounded by water on 2 sides. If the weather cooperates, its actually stunning. Add Rush and there you have it!

Jones beach is horrible for 3 reasons

1) It's an alcohol free facility (you can argue for or against that)

2) The real stinker, if its windy the sound swirls all over the place due to its close proximity to the ocean

3) It's on Long Island, enough said. Bad to get in and out from.

Seems like conflicting opinions on Jones Beach. eh.gif

I went to PNC for the R30 tour, we had decent seats and the sound was bad - too muddy and hard no make out a lot of the intricate music Rush was playing. Others I have talked to have said the sound for anything at PNC is a crapshoot, depending on your location. I won't be back.

Just my $0.02

QUOTE (bigvinny @ Mar 29 2007, 08:37 AM)
my buddy who is a monster Rush fan saw them in Scranton for the VT tour and he said it was bad, I guess the sound was horrible.

I can personally vouch for the less-than-stellar sound at PNC, and we had decent seats towards the center, where the soundboard was receiving the sound.

I only saw 1 show at Jones Beach and I was in like Orchestra M or some really close spot. Being that close (and backstage before and after) was great, but I can see where being further back may not be that great and how weather could definitely break a show.

I've seen ton of shows at PNC (Rush 4 times, as I recall). The seating determines the sound. The lawn has good sound, but you run into possible weather issues. For VT, I sat in the 300 level (a few rows in front of the soundboard) and it was pure white noise. Horrible, horrible sound. For R30, I sat in the front of the 200s (in the handicapped seats) and the sound was great. It's just a matter of being in the right place.

I've seen Rush at PNC, Jones Beach, and the Tweeter Center during the last 3 tours. In my opinion, the Tweeter Center was the best. It's easily accessable (being just over the bridge from Philly), the sound was great, and it's a small place where any seat is a good seat. The crowd was fantastic too. PNC is my second bet. Although the sound system there could be better, at least the crowds are great, the beer is cold, and the tailgate parties are alot of fun. It's right on the Garden State Parkway, so it's also easy to access. Unfortunately, I am not able to attend either show, so I was forced to buy tickets to the Jones Beach show. As Exiled Yorkie mentioned, alcohol is not served there, you are at Mother Nature's mercy, and with the wind whipping in from the ocean the sound exits stage left. My only consolation is that I got tickets in ORCH F.

Archived