Neil's Percussion

Rush!

This probably belongs in the Rush section but I figure Cyg & Launchpad will see this here. Are there certain types of glockenspiels (orchestra bells) that Neil used? Because at the Jersey Drums & Percussion place that I go to and take lessons at they have a glockenspiel that you can buy but it resonates so much. On the Circumstances video on R30 on the 2nd disc Neil's glockenspiel sounds more like a xylophone to me and it doesn't seem to resonate. What exactly is he using? Also, what types of cowbells and temple blocks did he use? His exotic percussion is what I'm talking about here.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jan 6 2007, 02:43 AM)
This probably belongs in the Rush section but I figure Cyg & Launchpad will see this here. Are there certain types of glockenspiels (orchestra bells) that Neil used? Because at the Jersey Drums & Percussion place that I go to and take lessons at they have a glockenspiel that you can buy but it resonates so much. On the Circumstances video on R30 on the 2nd disc Neil's glockenspiel sounds more like a xylophone to me and it doesn't seem to resonate. What exactly is he using? Also, what types of cowbells and temple blocks did he use? His exotic percussion is what I'm talking about here.

Hello,

this is quite a question, I have built a replica of the brown rosewood Tama that Neil played in '79-'80-'81 including the correct acoustic percussions, it took a lot of time and research to understand what he was using, at that time he was using:

1) Slingerland-Deagan glockenspiel

2) Taiwanese temple blocks (they were red, with black and gold ornaments)

3) cowbells, a mixture of Ludwig, LP and GonBops

4) Pakistan bell tree

5) five sets of wind chimes

6) Deagan orchestral chimes

7) Zildjian crotales low-octave plus a single crotale

8) two Slingerland triangles

9) Zildjian Burma bell

You can see some pictures of my replica here:

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/Replicas...ro_replicas.htm

Please note that the glockenspiel pictured is a Ludwig-Musser, now I have the correct Deagan one.

Very cool whity63 !

It's hard to replicate a sound based on the recording. I'm sure there was tons of compression on Neil's drums back in the day and especially on the louder percussion instruments. This would cause them to be much shorter sounding, with not much ring. So when trying to duplicate that sound, it really has a lot to do with the way it's 'recorded', as opposed to the way it actually sounds.

Bells are bells...they ring.

Edited by launchpad67a

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jan 8 2007, 11:46 AM)
Very cool whity63 !

It's hard to replicate a sound based on the recording. I'm sure there was tons of compression on Neil's drums back in the day and especially on the louder percussion instruments. This would cause them to be much shorter sounding, with not much ring. So when trying to duplicate that sound, it really has a lot to do with the way it's 'recorded', as opposed to the way it actually sounds.
Bells are bells...they ring.

Yeah, and glockenspiels can be very loud and annoying.

QUOTE (whity63 @ Jan 8 2007, 05:09 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Jan 6 2007, 02:43 AM)

Hello,

this is quite a question, I have built a replica of the brown rosewood Tama that Neil played in '79-'80-'81 including the correct acoustic percussions, it took a lot of time and research to understand what he was using, at that time he was using:

1) Slingerland-Deagan glockenspiel

2) Taiwanese temple blocks (they were red, with black and gold ornaments)

3) cowbells, a mixture of Ludwig, LP and GonBops

4) Pakistan bell tree

5) five sets of wind chimes

6) Deagan orchestral chimes

7) Zildjian crotales low-octave plus a single crotale

8) two Slingerland triangles

9) Zildjian Burma bell

You can see some pictures of my replica here:

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/Replicas...ro_replicas.htm

Please note that the glockenspiel pictured is a Ludwig-Musser, now I have the correct Deagan one.

All I got to say is . . . . .

Absolutely Awesome !

I love the Mahogany/Rosewood set .

I have always wanted that set .

Do you remember how much the total was after you were finished ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking to get my son his own new Kit , right now he uses mine, for a kid that is about 8.5 years old , what kind of set do you think I should look into?

Also cymbals, I don't want to break the bank right away, but at the same time I don't want to buy some crappy cymbals and then find I'm not happy with them as I often have and then just have to buy new ones .

A guy at the Drum Center told me to look into Meinl Cymbals for the kids first kit ?

Anyone know anything about these cymbals, I have never heard of them .

Excellent Pictures on that page !!!

I am so jealous smile.gif

A dream of mine to have a set like that smile.gif

The real kit these days. For those of you that don't know my friend Adam won the kit from Neil through Modern Drummer mag back in '82.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jcdiazjr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/trilogy_june2005_300.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jcdiazjr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/trilogy_june2005_098.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~jcdiazjr/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/trilogy_june2005_194.jpg

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jan 5 2007, 08:43 PM)

I thought was using electric percussion for all of those sounds these days . .

What the heck did he call it again ???

A midi marimba ??

All he's got to do is load the samples and he's got all the sounds from his Bell trees, orchestra bells , yada yada . . .

Naturally they would only resonate as long as he wanted them to .

He talks about it in his DVD Anatomy of a drum solo .

Great DVD !!

I have learned a lot from it .

Thank you Neil .

The place where I buy my drums [Long Island Drum Center ]

has the new TD 20 S Rolands .

My wife was looking at them asking a lot of questions laugh.gif

She saw my son playing them and really having a blast on them at the store and I think she might be wanting to get them for us .

They're a little bit pricey though .

She surprised me a few years ago with the Yamaha electric set and I really loved them , they made a lot of crazy sounds, though my son was a little too young to really appreciate them as much as he would now .

Needing cash though, I was forced to sell them and she knew I was kinda upset about having to do it , But priorities are priorities .

I can tell though when she is interested in buying something.

But the difference in price is HUGE !!

Comparing 1300.00 to damn near 6 grand .

The good thing is I have done all of my business in one store my whole life and have never gone anywhere else, so I know the guys over there will give us a great deal on them if we do get em .

What's messed up is that even after all the years I have been playing the drums . . . I still suck ! laugh.gif

But even though I suck, all my friends and family and neighbors tell me I'm great .

So I guess that's pretty cool, I don't got people screamin at me to stop playin .

I guess the thing is "they" really can't hear when I'm doing it wrong tongue.gif

But you and I can easily tell .

It still is easily the most enjoyable thing I do in my life and I believe you're born with this love .

My grandfather was a drummer, My father and I and even now my son .

And even though I am not as good as many here, there is no other way I like to express what I am feeling at a particular moment , than to go play the drums .

Some people can put feeling to paper

Some people can paint it on canvas

Others do it through music . . . professional or amature .

It's all good smile.gif

I'll trade my Babe Ruth baseball for a drum set like Neil Peart biggrin.gif

It's easily worth 60 grand , might even be able to get more at auction .

matter of fact, i'm certain ya can .