Madra's "Best of 2006" Tracklist

madra sneachta

I just took 2-3 songs from my top 10 album list. Making a list of tracks other than that list would be insane...but off the top of my head..."Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley, "I Don't Feel Like Dancing" by The Scissor Sisters are 2 that get mentions.

1.Dead or Alive- Hill

2.Machine- Hill

3.Take me back your house- Basement Jaxx

4.Run 4 Cover- Basement Jaxx

5.Cope- The Futureheads

6.Burnt- The Futureheads

7.Maneater- Nelly Furtado

8. All Good Things (Come To An End)- Nelly Furtado

9.Outlaw- Every Move A Picture

10.St. John's Night- Every Move A Picture

11.Ticket To Immorality- The Dears

12.There Goes My Outfit- The Dears

13.American Dream Girl- Tara Slone

14.It Never Comes- Tara Slone

15.Shades of White- Tara Slone

16.Flower Gardens- Chad Vangaalen

17.Gubbbish- Chad Vangaalen

18.Stuntman- Kasabian

19.Seek & Destroy- Kasabian

20.Witchcraft- Wolfmother

21.The Joker & the Thief- Wolfmother

Nice to see Gomez, The Arctic Monkeys, Wolfmother, and Kasabian in there Madra biggrin.gif

Heres a quick list. I am sure I am missing tons of great songs, but these were a few that stood out to me from this year.

1) Thom Yorke - The Eraser

2) Kasabian - Stuntman

3) Hard-Fi - Hard To Beat

4) White Rose Movement - Love Is A Number

5) Every Move A Picture - Outlaw

6) The Sounds - Painted By Numbers

7) Mates Of State - Fraud In The 80's

8) The Knife - Neverland

9) TV On The Radio - I Was A Lover

10) Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye

11) Tilly And The Wall - Bad Education

12) TV On The Radio - Blues From Down Here

13) Loop!Station - Towering

14) Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Turn Into

15) Band Of Horses - The Funeral

16) The Decemberists - The Crane Wife 3

17) The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

18) Silversun Pickups - Well Thought Out Twinkles

19) Muse - Map Of The Problematique

20) Secret Machines - Alone, Jealous And Stoned

21) Thom Yorke - Cymbal Rush

Anyone who is a member of Counterparts, there are still two places available on Round 6 of the CD exchange. 15 people, eah burns two mixes and send copies to the other 14.

A great way to be exposed to new music.

New paticipants need an existing member to vouch for them - No problem there, just let me know.

I don't really feel like putting together a comprehensive list right now, so I think I'll just divide these into categories, and maybe say a little something here and there.

Best Hip-Hop songs of 2006:

Clipse - Chinese New Year

Clipse - Nightmares

This album I think isn't quite as amazing as Pitchfork and Rolling Stone make it out to be, but it was one of the more enjoyable rap albums of the year. One thing I liked was that it ran under an hour, 12 songs, no lame skits, and no filler tracks. And the beats were first-rate Neptunes.

Ghostface Killah - Kilo

Probably the coolest use of a children's-educational-record sample since "Where It's At."

Hi-Tek - Music for Life

That flute sample is just f***ing ridiculous.

Jay-Z - Beach Chair

Hands-down the best song Chris Martin has ever had a hand in creating. The album as a whole was a bit of a let-down, but this one is fantastic.

Lupe Fiasco - Kick, Push

Lupe Fiasco - The Instrumental

Lupe Fiasco - Daydreamin'

Easily my favorite rap album of the year. Lupe is definitely a refreshing voice because he raps about skating and playing video games, rather than just the usual played-out gangsta shit that everyone else does.

Nas - Carry On Tradition

I think his new album is his best since Illmatic, and this song is the highlight. Great beat, great lyrics, great feel.

OutKast - The Mighty "O"

OutKast - Idlewild Blue

Their album was a disappointing, unfocused mess compared to their early work, but these two are as good as anything they've ever written.

The Roots - Don't Feel Right

Anyone who says that it takes no musical talent to do rap should listen to these guys.

New songs from old favorites:

Beck - Think I'm in Love

Beck - Strange Apparition

The album was one of my very favorites of the year, but it did continue very much in the vein of Guero (meaning a hyprid of Odelay and Sea Change). These are two notable exceptions, as they channel early Beatles and midperiod Stones, respectively.

Morrissey - I Will See You in Far Off Places

Morrissey - The Youngest was the Most-Loved

Morrissey - The Father who Must Be Killed

Morrissey - Life is a Pigsty

Moz's new record was as strong as anything he has ever done post-Smiths. These were my favorite tracks. I Will See You... has a really cool Arabian-style intro.

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Thom Yorke - Black Swan

Thom Yorke - Harrowdown Hill

Turns out no new Radiohead until next year. But Yorke's solo debut ends up sounding even more abstract than Kid A and Amnesiac, yet at the same time almost more accessible. All of these songs have very cool uses of cut-up loops and samples.

Weird Al - White and Nerdy

His new album was hugely disapppointing, but history has shown that even mediocre Weird Al albums have at least one brilliant song, and here he outfits Chamillionaire's "Ridin' Dirty" with rhymes about sautering guns and Rennaissance Faires.

Bob Dylan - Ain't Talkin'

How is it that someone can be around as long as he has, made as many records, influenced as many people, had as many ups and downs, as Bob Dylan has, and then, 45 years into the game, still make everyone else look like amateurs? Some things just can't be explained.

Tom Petty - Saving Grace

Tom Petty - Turn This Car Around

Tom Petty has been pretty dependable to churn out great straightforward rock for his entire career, and his albums have never sunk below a certain level of quality. Highway Companion is one of his more mellow discs, but these are two of the more rocking songs on it.

The Who - Mike Post Theme

Turns out the senior-citizen Who kicks the shit out of the post-Quadrophenia original Who. This song rocks harder than any Who song since 1973.

Guns N' Roses - Better

Guns N' Roses - I.R.S.

Guns N' Roses - There Was a Time

Yes, yes, Chinese Democracy isn't coming out until March, but I listened to these leaked songs more than almost anything else this year. I am confident that when the record is eventually released, it will do Axl's legacy proud.

Modern rock:

Muse - Knights of Cydonia

I had always unfairly dismissed these guys as Radiohead wannabes until I heard their new record, which saw them maturing greatly and finding their own sound more than they had on previous albums. "Knights of Cydonia" has some Rushy epic-ness to it, although I think it would have been better at twice the length. It needed more time to flesh out the different parts.

The Flaming Lips - Mr. Ambulence Driver

This band has been popular in alternative-music circles for over a decade, but I somehow didn't clue into them until this year. Incredibly creative and exciting group.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife #3

The Decemberists - The Island/Come and See/The Landlord's Daughter/You'll Not Feel the Drowning

The Decemberists - The Perfect Crime #2

Unquestionably the best album of 2006. These are just three of my favorite tracks on this absolutely perfect collection of songs. "The Island" has bits of 70s Yes and Genesis influence, and "Perfect Crime" has some 70s funk influence.

The Mars Volta - Vermicide

The Mars Volta - Viscera Eyes

One of the most exciting bands out there today...their new album isn't quite as great as their first, but I like it more than Frances the Mute. These songs just f***ing rock.

TV On the Radio - Wolf Like Me

If you want to be blown away, YouTube their performance of this song on Letterman from a couple months ago.

Pearl Jam - Marker in the Sand

As a whole, I think this is their best album since Vitalogy, but this is the song that stood out. Great chorus melody.

The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

The Raconteurs - Level

The Raconteurs - Store Bought Bones

Pretty much anything Jack White touches is gold.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Hump De Bump

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Especially in Michigan

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Warlocks

Stadium Arcadium is as solid as any double album of the CD age has been. Every song is memorable, and there are at least 20 potential singles. These are three of my favorites.

The Strokes - Razorblade

I always thought these guys were pretty overrated before, but their latest album justifies some of that hype. Some great guitar work going on.[/b]

Radio songs I feel absolutely no shame in enjoying:

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

This year's "Hey Ya!" and rightly so.

Beyonce - Irreplacable

This is just a really catchy song with clever lyrics, and some hot 808 action going on. I love it.

Justin Timberlake - My Love

That twisty Timbaland keyboard beat is just infectious.

And the absolute best song of the year:

Tom Waits - Road to Peace

This is probably the best protest song written in the Bush era. 7 minutes of slow-burning blues and searing attacks on both right-wing conservatives and Middle-Eastern terrorists. A masterpiece.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Dec 20 2006, 02:55 AM)
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
I had always unfairly dismissed these guys as Radiohead wannabes until I heard their new record, which saw them maturing greatly and finding their own sound more than they had on previous albums. "Knights of Cydonia" has some Rushy epic-ness to it, although I think it would have been better at twice the length. It needed more time to flesh out the different parts.

Funny you say that actually. Muse have always said if they'd have stayed in one recording studio, Knights would have turned into a 20 minute epic, that's the way it was heading.

Personally i like it as it is! Has mor punch to it.

For me, this year, everything has been divided into Muse, and non-Muse. Call me a stupid fan-boy, or whatever you want, but Black Holes and Revelations has had such an impact on me musically, and lyrically, that i believe it to be one of the best albums ever made.

And now for my list;

Who Are You Stamping Your Foot For - The Datsuns

Broken Boy Soldier - The Raconteurs

Come Follow Me - The Answer

Love Train - Wolfmother

Tetragrammaton - The Mars Volta

Viscera Eyes - The Mars Volta

The Guru - Rose Hill Drive

Waters of the Wild - Steve Hackett

She Moves In Memories - Steve Hackett

Lament For Aurochs - The Sword

Stuck Here For Days - The Datsuns

A Man In A Purple Dress - The Who

Mike Post Theme - The Who

Prechin' - The Answer

And for the second disk;

Under The Sky - The Answer

Woman - Wolfmother

Mind's Eye - Wolfmother

Joker and the Thief - Wolfmother

Pyramid - Wolfmother

Store Bought Bones - The Raconteurs

Stuntman - Kasabian

(Sorry, have to do this)

Take A Bow - Muse

Starlight - Muse

Supermassive Black Hole - Muse

Map Of The Problematique - Muse

Soldier's Poem - Muse

Invincible - Muse

Assassin - Muse

Exo-Politics - Muse

City Of Delusion - Muse

Hoodoo - Muse

Knights of Cydonia - Muse

I really couldn't pick and choose with Black Holes and Revelations laugh.gif

in no order...

Plumerai - Avernal

Plumerai - Illuminata

Ghostface Killah - You Know I'm No Good

Ghostface Killah - Shakey Dog

Brand New - Jesus Christ

Brand New - Degausser

Nelly Furtado - Say It Right

The Mars Volta - Day of the Baphomets

Mastodon - Sleeping Giant

Mastodon - Capillarian Crest

The Roots - Here I Come

Clipse - Keys Open Doors

Clipse - Chinese New Year

The Decemberists - The Island

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife 3

Common - A Dream

The Raconteurs - Store Bought Bones

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (the only song I love on the album)

TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me

The Action Design - The Scissor Game

Annuals - Brother

Cat Power - The Greatest

Archived