Will the extended pre-production sessions speed up

treeduck

Normally Rush go into the studio with nothing: no songs, no ideas - a clean slate in fact, to use their own words. They start from zero and work up from there usually for three months (bar the post tragedy-Vapor Trails sessions) with one more month for mixing. So seeing how this time Rush have spent the early months of 2006 writing and working up songs, then a further month in a studio recording and writing (finishing up 8 almost complete songs we think) and now are doing a further few weeks pre-production, will this mean a much shorter actual production recording process?

When they go into the studio proper with the chosen producer they won't be going in with their usual clean slate, they'll probably have all the songs written and arranged, more or less, surely therefore cutting a huge chunk of studio time out? What do you think?

Interesting thread.

I think since the guys have the framework constructed in their minds, going in will be a much easier transition for the grueling recording process.

They will sound tighter and they will save money and time by being ahead of the game!!

Well, at least I think so.

I can't wait for this record!

So any clue on who is producing the new record??

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 18 2006, 08:26 PM)
Interesting thread.

I think since the guys have the framework constructed in their minds, going in will be a much easier transition for the grueling recording process.

They will sound tighter and they will save money and time by being ahead of the game!!

Well, at least I think so.

I can't wait for this record!

So any clue on who is producing the new record??

Yeah, but it's not been confirmed, so they're either just being coy after the news leaked or it's merely a rumour or maybe it's a badly kept secret. Whichever way it is these are the guys: Nick Raskulinecz is the name put forward as producer and he hasn't denied or confirmed it, who in the past has worked with Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver and Queens Of The Stone Age, while Rick Chycki will engineer, following on from his work on Rush's R30 DVD.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 18 2006, 08:38 PM)
Yeah, but it's not been confirmed, so they're either just being coy after the news leaked or it's merely a rumour or maybe it's a badly kept secret. Whichever way it is these are the guys: Nick Raskulinecz is the name put forward as producer and he hasn't denied or confirmed it, who in the past has worked with Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver and Queens Of The Stone Age, while Rick Chycki will engineer, following on from his work on Rush's R30 DVD.

I have serious concerns about this. I don't know if these guys really should be producing and engineering Rush.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Sep 21 2006, 05:08 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 18 2006, 08:38 PM)
Yeah, but it's not been confirmed, so they're either just being coy after the news leaked or it's merely a rumour or maybe it's a badly kept secret. Whichever way it is these are the guys:  Nick Raskulinecz is the name put forward as producer and he hasn't denied or confirmed it, who in the past has worked with Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver and Queens Of The Stone Age, while Rick Chycki will engineer, following on from his work on Rush's R30 DVD.

I have serious concerns about this. I don't know if these guys really should be producing and engineering Rush.

Why not? What seems to be the problem? doh.gif

QUOTE (kooma @ Sep 21 2006, 05:19 AM)

Well, I am not a huge Foo Fighters or Velvet Revolver fan and have never heard of Queen Of The Stone. I did not think the sound and the production on R30 was that good (the concert anyway in comparision with Rush In Rio). And I am also concerned about Rush starting to "sound" (literally as in their sound) like all the other bands out there today.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Sep 21 2006, 05:30 AM)

Well, I am not a huge Foo Fighters or Velvet Revolver fan and have never heard of Queen Of The Stone. I did not think the sound and the production on R30 was that good (the concert anyway in comparision with Rush In Rio). And I am also concerned about Rush starting to "sound" (literally as in their sound) like all the other bands out there today.

Do not be afraid, that will NEVER happen! no.gif

I think they've always done some pre-production, and only left a gaps before going into studio. New World Man and Force Ten as I recall were last minute additions, but I don't think they've ever begun recording with a blank slate.

I'm sticking to my May 29th prediction.

As I see it -

November / December - Recording

January / February - End recording / Mixing

March / April - Artwork, Logistics, Manufacturing

May - Marketting and release

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Sep 21 2006, 06:30 AM)

I thought RiR had way too much crowd noise mixed in, and from that perspective, thougth R30 was much better. Also - being a drumhead, Neil's drums, specifically the tom-toms, sounded way better on R30.

Having said all of that, I think they learned some lessons from VT, and from Feedback in a way, and the new album will sound loud without being clipped wink.gif

At the end of the day Rush is Rush. Niether a producer or an engineer will greatly affect the outcome of the songs themselves. That is and will always be in Rush's hands. The producer will guide their performances as more like a coach than a writer. The engineer will do whatever Rush and the producer tell him to do as far as getting sounds. Or they may just let him be Rich and get "his" sound that Rush is apparently happy with, hence his hiring. So rather than being worried about Rush putting out an album that sounds like everything else, be happy that Rush has gone through the effort to pick guys who are keeping up with the times and getting people in the appropriate rolls to keep Rush's Sonic Sound on par with today's great albums. God forbid we have a production like GUP in 2006!

I like the May 29th release prediction... although I am a little more optimistic for a late April release smile.gif

Rock!

Drew

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 21 2006, 08:07 AM)
I think they've always done some pre-production, and only left a gaps before going into studio. New World Man and Force Ten as I recall were last minute additions, but I don't think they've ever begun recording with a blank slate.

As I see it -

I'd say this is about right!!!!!!!! Good figuring indeed!!

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 21 2006, 08:07 AM)

As I see it -

Even if you're right, why May 29? Why not May 22? Why not June 5th? Why not June 12? Why not May 15? And you're not American, albums normally get released on a Monday in the UK and Ireland... so why not May 28th?

I still say March or even late Febuary...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 24 2006, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 23 2006, 04:09 AM)
Even if you're right, why May 29?

To be honest - Because May 30th is my birthday and I want a kickass present!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine's in March so I'd like early March...

tongue.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Sep 18 2006, 08:18 PM)
Normally Rush go into the studio with nothing: no songs, no ideas - a clean slate in fact, to use their own words. They start from zero and work up from there usually for three months (bar the post tragedy-Vapor Trails sessions) with one more month for mixing. So seeing how this time Rush have spent the early months of 2006 writing and working up songs, then a further month in a studio recording and writing (finishing up 8 almost complete songs we think) and now are doing a further few weeks pre-production, will this mean a much shorter actual production recording process?

When they go into the studio proper with the chosen producer they won't be going in with their usual clean slate, they'll probably have all the songs written and arranged, more or less, surely therefore cutting a huge chunk of studio time out? What do you think?

Looks like I was right about this...

wink.gif

Archived