My home state soon to allow high gravity beers

Woohoo!

The South Carolina Legislature is passing a law which will raise the maximum allowable alcohol content of beers sold in the state from the current 5% to 14%.

Soon I will not have to go to North Carolina anymore to get the strong stuff. trink39.gif

Edited by Drunk Pirate Robert

QUOTE (Drunk Pirate Robert @ Sep 5 2006, 01:19 PM)
Woohoo!

The South Carolina Legislature is passing a law which will raise the maximum allowable alcohol content of beers sold in the state from the current 5% to 14%.

Soon I will not have to go to North Carolina anymore to get the strong stuff. trink39.gif

Wow! That is good news. Believe it or not, I was preparing to contact some local politicians to see what it would take to get the law changed. Outstanding! I'll have to contact some stores and request some Scottish ales!

yes.gif drool1.gif

Oh yeah, how soon is soon? Is there a date yet?

I found the Pop the Cap website, but they are saying that the first bill was stalled and another has been introduced. Pop the Cap.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 5 2006, 02:38 PM)
I found the Pop the Cap website, but they are saying that the first bill was stalled and another has been introduced. Pop the Cap.

It's my understanding that the bill is now just waiting on the Gov's signature to go into effect . . . but I may be misinformed about that.

Edited by Drunk Pirate Robert

Woohoo -- after some delays, the bill was finally signed into law about two weeks ago. I just found out about its passing two days ago, when I stopped into a local bar/restaraunt to get a bite to eat and saw high gravity beers all over the place, with many patrons excitedly trying out the new brews.

Woohoo!

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ May 24 2007, 09:08 AM)
Woohoo -- after some delays, the bill was finally signed into law about two weeks ago. I just found out about its passing two days ago, when I stopped into a local bar/restaraunt to get a bite to eat and saw high gravity beers all over the place, with many patrons excitedly trying out the new brews.

Woohoo!

Yaaaaaaaaay! laugh.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 24 2007, 08:55 AM)
Woohoo -- after some delays, the bill was finally signed into law about two weeks ago.  I just found out about its passing two days ago, when I stopped into a local bar/restaraunt to get a bite to eat and saw high gravity beers all over the place, with many patrons excitedly trying out the new brews. 

Woohoo!

Good news for SC!

QUOTE (tangdog @ May 24 2007, 09:59 AM)
Woohoo -- after some delays, the bill was finally signed into law about two weeks ago.  I just found out about its passing two days ago, when I stopped into a local bar/restaraunt to get a bite to eat and saw high gravity beers all over the place, with many patrons excitedly trying out the new brews. 

Woohoo!

Good news for SC!

Yeah, man! I'm gonna check out a couple of places this afternoon and see what they have! Maybe my quest to find Lorimer's Scottish Ale again will be fulfilled! Here's hoping! laugh.gif

Edit-I found a Scottish ale last time I was in NC called Fraoch. It was great, check it out sometime.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 24 2007, 09:05 AM)

Woohoo!

Good news for SC!

Yeah, man! I'm gonna check out a couple of places this afternoon and see what they have! Maybe my quest to find Lorimer's Scottish Ale again will be fulfilled! Here's hoping! laugh.gif

Edit-I found a Scottish ale last time I was in NC called Fraoch. It was great, check it out sometime.

I've tried it. It's good. A "heather ale", supposedly made from a thousands of years old recipe. It's not a "high gravity" ale, though. I have found it in SC before.

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ May 24 2007, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 24 2007, 09:05 AM)

Woohoo!

Good news for SC!

I've tried it. It's good. A "heather ale", supposedly made from a thousands of years old recipe. It's not a "high gravity" ale, though. I have found it in SC before.

Really?! Man, I can't find squat around here! rage.gif

I started drinking Tennant's Scottis Lager when I found it in the grocery store 6 months ago. The first 6-pack was pretty good, but I am two beers into another and I have noticed a distinct drop in quality. It's almost as if I'm drinking Budweiser, it's that thin and watery.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2007, 06:49 AM)
I started drinking Tennant's Scottis Lager when I found it in the grocery store 6 months ago. The first 6-pack was pretty good, but I am two beers into another and I have noticed a distinct drop in quality.

I've never tried that particular beer, but I know what you are talking about in general. I have noticed the same thing about various other beers -- the quality does not necessarily stay the same. It can change from one batch to another.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ May 29 2007, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 26 2007, 06:49 AM)
I started drinking Tennant's Scottis Lager when I found it in the grocery store 6 months ago. The first 6-pack was pretty good, but I am two beers into another and I have noticed a distinct drop in quality.

I've never tried that particular beer, but I know what you are talking about in general. I have noticed the same thing about various other beers -- the quality does not necessarily stay the same. It can change from one batch to another.

^^^ more than likely its the same batch six months later.