The Wheel of Time - series

Slime

Any other fans on this board? I'm about to start book 7 soon. The first six were pretty good, with the last one I read (Lord of Chaos) and the second book (The Great Hunt) I found simply amazing.

Discuss!

Yes - major fan here, although I must be honest and say it's been dragging a bit.

I've finished the 11th book and am awaiting the publication of the 12th (and final) book, although the word is he'll do another Moiraine/Lan prequel first.

don't read too much fantasy anymore, but started these when they came out. STopped after reading the fifth book or so. I just found him getting way too bogged down and kept feeling like he was trying to dig himself out of a hole.

ONe of these days i may go back and read them....

I'm reading the series due to friend recommendations. Unfortunately, I've hung around quite a few people who've read the series and have had pretty much the whole thing spoiled for me. Still, I can appreciate Jordan's writing as top notch. He is also able to write really well from the perspective of many different characters, which is a huge strength.

Re : The illness. I was reading his blog today, and he says he's in treatment and is very positive about the future.

I certainly hope he overcomes this, the traditonal end of his blurbs is '.....and he intends to continue writing until they nail his coffin shut'.

Hopefully that's not a prescient comment.

Story wise, I won't comment, save to say that while I feel books seven to ten could probably have been a bit shorter, the character development is top notch, and there are a few surprises in store.

I'd seriously advise you to stick with it.

I read through book seven....started to lose interest.

He has a unique knack for writing from a feminine perspective.

And his creative abilities in terms of creating a different reality are very good. In the end however, "channeling" becomes an easy way to create any imaginary scenario he desires (In other words, gives Jordan the ability to play god.) By getting too far away from the simple laws of physics by which we are all bound, his creativity becomes so overblown and fantastic that it doesn't really merit 12 volumes. In fact, he probably could have finished w/ five...even six volumes, and left readers wanting more. Instead....he dragged it out way too far.

The books do drag in some places, but that's probably just the fantasy genre's weak spot popping up.

I'm waiting on news of his health and the completion of the final book (he says #12 is THE final book) before I go on to book 8.

Does that make me a horrible person? sad.gif

QUOTE (Slime @ Sep 6 2006, 02:43 AM)
The books do drag in some places, but that's probably just the fantasy genre's weak spot popping up.

I'm waiting on news of his health and the completion of the final book (he says #12 is THE final book) before I go on to book 8.

Does that make me a horrible person? sad.gif

No, it makes you a pragmatist.

Slime, as I said before, stick with it.

I don't want to say anything that might jeapordise the plot, but having finished Book 11, I can confirm that everything is in place for a great climax.

The endgame is definitely on, and book 12 is definitely the last (confirmed by Tor Books).

I know that book 12 is definitely the last, but if RJ kicks it before series end, I'm not sure I wanna invest time in the series.

It'd be the same thing if JK Rowling died tomorrow, leaving the last Harry Potter book unfinished. I'm pretty sure that event would be enough to topple governments!