Weezer, anybody?

Ahh thanks DWarner! You the man! biggrin.gif

I thought Maladroit was a good album. Definately not as good as Pinkerton or the Blue album. But man..Pinkerton is such an essential album to have.

I have faith that Weezer will pick it up again! True..Make Believe was pretty crappy, but I saw them live on that tour, and there still kicking. I guess their live peformance has nothing to do with their writing abilities...but EH lol Im hopeing. I hear that Rivers Cuomo was torn when Matt left the band, so ever since then..his writing has gone down hill. Don't know the truth to this story.

Im listening to "Pinkerton" right now..and my god The Good Life is rocking! 1022.gif

QUOTE (2112Zoso @ Jun 12 2006, 05:03 PM)
Ahh thanks DWarner! You the man! biggrin.gif

I thought Maladroit was a good album. Definately not as good as Pinkerton or the Blue album. But man..Pinkerton is such an essential album to have.

I have faith that Weezer will pick it up again! True..Make Believe was pretty crappy, but I saw them live on that tour, and there still kicking. I guess their live peformance has nothing to do with their writing abilities...but EH lol Im hopeing. I hear that Rivers Cuomo was torn when Matt left the band, so ever since then..his writing has gone down hill. Don't know the truth to this story.

Rivers has actually hinted that they might be breaking up.

Every member of the band practically hates each other. I remember reading an interview with Rick Rubin where he said they were the most disfunctional band he's ever worked with. Weezer breaking up wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hmm I think that was rumored. Rivers actually says alot of things, I know what your talking about, but I remember reading something saying that THEIR NOT breaking up. That Rivers is just taking the time off to Graduate from HARVARD university. In fact, he graduates this month I think.

But I could of sworn he said its just time off, because the guitar player said their writing new material right now.

Ahh, i didn't know they hated eachother. If the break up..its a real shame. They had great potential.

The band is currently on break from touring and promotion, and as of June 8, 2006 Rivers Cuomo has graduated from Harvard University with his Batchelor of Arts degree, which with the thousands of Weezer shows played and four recorded studio albums, this has taken Rivers 11 years to complete. There is no definitive evidence that the future of the band is in question.

"It's not going to be entirely quiet on the Weezer 'hood not by a long shot," a posting on the bands official site reads. "Everyone is planning on writing music and indeed a good deal of the songs have already been created while the band was still on tour this fall. Rivers returns to college this spring and everyone... continues to work towards a musical future... Only time will tell when the Weezer machine will get back into full gear". The band's official FAQ site, states as "(2/06) we have no idea, except to say that its nearly impossible that there could be a new studio album before '07. Before then there may be other releases though, time will tell". "Karl's money is on an eventual 6th album" and this is very likely as the band is under contract for at least 2 more albums.

Source: http://www.weezer.com/contact/ Date accessed Feb 26, 2005

A live DVD comprising of footage from the current Japan tour is scheduled for release in 2006. It will consist of a 2-day, 7-camera shoot of the shows in Japan, plus material that will be drawn from various behind-the-scenes footage [2].

I couldn't find the Rick Rubin interview, but here's a review that talks about it:

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/musicreviews/w/weezer.htm

In writing about music, I've always worked under the assumption that music is not a thing that is, but a thing that means. On this ground, I tend to resist writing only about the actual sounds, as I feel the context is far more important in providing some sort of basis for understanding the music itself, no matter how shaky those ground are. Consequently, the story of Weezer is inevitably a story of Rivers. He is Weezer. He calls the shots, he writes the songs. Since their debut album, Rivers no longer allows any members of the band to contribute songs; and according to the recent Rolling Stone interview, he even has a veto on band matters, which is reflected in his sudden decision to not contribute "My Best Friend" to the Shrek 2 soundtrack. Rivers even fined another Weezer member for playing out of key. According to Rick Rubin, Weezer is the "most dysfunctional group" he has ever worked with, even suggesting a communications coach sit in during their recording sessions. Only Pat Wilson and Scott Shriner (who replaced original bassist Matt Sharp) call themselves friends, while the rest are "acquaintances." This atmosphere isn't particularly conducive to creativity. And no, Rivers, this is not a case of an "audience lagging behind the development of an artist," as you once suggested. Talk about delusions of grandeur. Indeed, Weezer has problems, and it's reflected in both their strained relationships and, ultimately, their music. 

Thanks for posting that man, I totally agree with that article. That album is definately no Pinkerton. I didn't know..they were "SO" Disfunctional. sad.gif

Damn..listening to The Blue Album and Pinkerton, could u imagine what great cds they "could" have made, if they would of kept playing/writing the way the used to. It's a shame.

QUOTE (2112Zoso @ Jun 12 2006, 08:35 PM)
Thanks for posting that man, I totally agree with that article. That album is definately no Pinkerton. I didn't know..they were "SO" Disfunctional. sad.gif

Damn..listening to The Blue Album and Pinkerton, could u imagine what great cds they "could" have made, if they would of kept playing/writing the way the used to. It's a shame.

I read Rivers' Edge: The Weezer Story, which is a biography about the band. They've been pretty disjointed all the way through... at first it was like Rivers leading Jason, Matt, and Pat, then Jason left... So Pat and Matt banded together and Brian and Rivers were kind of by themselves. Then Matt left, Mikey came. I'd say they were most together on Green with Mikey there. Welsh left, Shrinedog came 1022.gif and he was kinda in his own little metal world, but the rest of them were influenced by it. They probably became most disjointed since Shrinedog came, but Maladroit was great.... Make Believe not so eh.gif

And about the rumoring of them breaking up and Rivers hinting on it... I read an online interview with rivers and he said Keep Fishin' was written about "musical creativity!" z7shysterical.gif

"Oh musical creativity when I'm in love with you,

Keep fishin' if you feel it's true..."

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 11 2006, 06:13 PM)
Weezer was formed in 1992 by singer/guitarist Rivers Cuomo, guitarist Jason Cropper, bassist/backup vocalist Matt Sharp, and drummer Pat Wilson.

I'm not going to go really in-depth, I'm just gonna skim over everything and let you all discuss.

Jason Cropper left the band after not very long to be replaced by Brian Bell. Actually, it was after they recorded the first album. So then Rivers over-dubbed all of Jason's parts just before the album was put to market. Their first album was self titled (hey, a lot like 2.gif !) so it'll be henceforth called Blue cuz it's blue on the front tongue.gif Blue sold about 3 million copies, was light and power-chordy, and had lots of variances in emotion. Released 3 singles from it. Came out in 1994.

Pinkerton came 2 years later (1996), was very dark and emotional. Grainy, distorted sound. Hated by fans, but then was loved about 4 years later. Sold around 1 million or 750k.

Green (their other self-titled) came 5 years later (2001), more poppy than blue, less grungy. Mikey Welsh replaced Matt Sharp. Very happy. Very layered. Mostly not liked by fans. I have no clue how much it sold.

Maladroit comes less than a year later (2002). Very much more hard rock, fuzzed out metal. Scott Shriner replaced Mikey Welsh. Good solos. I love it, most =w= fans don't.

Make Believe came in 2005, with a very mature sound. Keyboards and pianos introduced to their sounds. Hard to explain. Mostly disliked by fans, but I like it.

EXTREMELY brief synopsis of Weezer. Discuss now everybody! 1022.gif

Green Album sold HUGE! Hash Pipe was all over radio and my ex-boss played that disc to exhaustion at Quincy Records throughout 2001 and 2002. The Green album sold over TWO MILLION COPIES Stateside and hit the US Top 5 which wasn't bad considering it competed against Tool's Lateralus which was out the same day. The followup had the video where the Muppets was in. The only thing about Weezer that annoyed me was the W logo looked like either a ripoff or a homage to the classic Van Halen logo.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Jun 12 2006, 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 11 2006, 06:13 PM)
Weezer was formed in 1992 by singer/guitarist Rivers Cuomo, guitarist Jason Cropper, bassist/backup vocalist Matt Sharp, and drummer Pat Wilson.

I'm not going to go really in-depth, I'm just gonna skim over everything and let you all discuss.

Jason Cropper left the band after not very long to be replaced by Brian Bell.  Actually, it was after they recorded the first album.  So then Rivers over-dubbed all of Jason's parts just before the album was put to market.  Their first album was self titled (hey, a lot like  2.gif !) so it'll be henceforth called Blue cuz it's blue on the front tongue.gif Blue sold about 3 million copies, was light and power-chordy, and had lots of variances in emotion. Released 3 singles from it.  Came out in 1994.

Pinkerton came 2 years later (1996), was very dark and emotional. Grainy, distorted sound.  Hated by fans, but then was loved about 4 years later. Sold around 1 million or 750k.

Green (their other self-titled) came 5 years later (2001), more poppy than blue, less grungy.  Mikey Welsh replaced Matt Sharp. Very happy. Very layered.  Mostly not liked by fans. I have no clue how much it sold.

Maladroit comes less than a year later (2002).  Very much more hard rock, fuzzed out metal. Scott Shriner replaced Mikey Welsh.  Good solos. I love it, most =w= fans don't.

Make Believe came in 2005, with a very mature sound. Keyboards and pianos introduced to their sounds. Hard to explain. Mostly disliked by fans, but I like it.

EXTREMELY brief synopsis of Weezer. Discuss now everybody! 1022.gif

Green Album sold HUGE! Hash Pipe was all over radio and my ex-boss played that disc to exhaustion at Quincy Records throughout 2001 and 2002. The Green album sold over TWO MILLION COPIES Stateside and hit the US Top 5 which wasn't bad considering it competed against Tool's Lateralus which was out the same day. The followup had the video where the Muppets was in. The only thing about Weezer that annoyed me was the W logo looked like either a ripoff or a homage to the classic Van Halen logo.

They did kinda rip off Van Halen, but they did a good job at it! 653.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 13 2006, 12:24 PM)
BEVERLY H1LLZ z0mq00se!11!11!1

Seriously, i never got into them because that song turned me off.

Dude, Beverly Hills SUCKED! new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

If that's all you're judging off of, you're kind of shallow, listen to Only in Dreams and just forget about BH.

Archived