The Red Sox

Der Trommler

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 11 2009, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Aug 9 2009, 07:59 PM)
Cool to see Luis Tiant in the booth right now for Sox/Yanks game  cool.gif

I liked that, too. I gave my wife an education about Tiant and spoke about that crazy windup of his; they finally showed it. Also told the Mrs. a Tiant story I heard told by Bernie Carbo years ago:

Yaz, Carbo says, was actually a practical joker, and one of his favorite targets was El Tiante. Tiant was walking around naked in the locker room one day, wearing nothing but his street shoes and a cigar. "Whatchoo tink of my choe, man? I got good choe, hunnert-and-fifty-dollar; you got bad choe, Thom McCann. Why not get good choe, spen' some o'dat money you making?" Later, everyone hears Tiant screaming, "I keel you! I keel you, you sumnabitch!" Yaz had nailed Tiant's shoes to his locker. Tiant pried the shoes off his locker wall and they now had a hole in each of them, from the nails. "Why you do dis to me? You say you my fren', and den you do dis to me!" After cooling off, Tiant decided to put the shoes on anyway, and leave the stadium. "I no care. It no raining." laugh.gif

laugh.gif Good story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 13 2009, 07:39 PM)
Finally beat you guys. 'Bout time too. laugh.gif

Oh well, guess we'll just have to improve on that 1-6 record in the playoffs. wink.gif

Are you talking about the Tigers? Just curious....

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 14 2009, 01:09 PM)
Finally beat you guys.  'Bout time too. laugh.gif

Oh well, guess we'll just have to improve on that 1-6 record in the playoffs. wink.gif

Uhhhhhhh.....yes.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 14 2009, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 14 2009, 01:09 PM)
Finally beat you guys.  'Bout time too. laugh.gif

Uhhhhhhh.....yes.

OK. Well, that pretty much seals it. The Sox are choking horribly. They get swept by the Yanks, lose to the Tigers, get beat up by the Rangers & are no longer in a playoff place. While it is close for them to be with the Rangers, the Rangers clearly have the upper advantage & I'll suspect that the Sox drop out of the race entirely.

We needed a pitcher before the trade deadline, we got several batters & finished with one overall, really. The Sox are hurting with pitchers & the batter's are miffed at every pitch that comes their way.

For the first time, I am not happy with Theo. What was he thinking?!

BIG WEEKEND for the Sox! Starting with Penny....um unsure.gif a little scared sad.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 21 2009, 12:28 PM)
BIG WEEKEND for the Sox! Starting with Penny....um unsure.gif a little scared sad.gif

With Penny and Tazawa starting two of the games, i'll be happy taking 2 of 3.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Aug 21 2009, 02:04 PM)

How about losing 2 of 3? Egad! What is up with this team?! The hitter's are hitting at the wrong time. The pitching is trying to figure out where home plate is & the umps are simply giving Yanks pitching a strike zone the size of Montana!

Well, the best we can hope for is that the Yanks are peaking now & sputter out in the playoffs! Makes much better if they're a first round bow out again biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 24 2009, 01:18 PM)
Well, the best we can hope for is that the Yanks are peaking now & sputter out in the playoffs! Makes much better if they're a first round bow out again biggrin.gif

Be even better if Detroit beats them again! 1022.gif

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Aug 24 2009, 01:51 PM)
The Yankees and Rangers start a series on Tuesday. Who do you pull for? The Rangers or Yankees? Do you have a chance of winning the divsion or would you rather get some distance from the Rangers in the Wild Card race?

That's a question I just asked myself. If the Sox win, then, I'd pull for the Rangers. If the Sox lose....<gulp> the Yanks (that was difficult to say!). You won't hear me say that often....actually ever. In this case, the Rangers can sweep as long as the Sox sweep. If the Sox could pull within 2 games by the end of September, they could take over....It's still hard to tell but I rooting for the Sox to make the playoffs more than anything.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 25 2009, 01:22 PM)
The Yankees and Rangers start a series on Tuesday.  Who do you pull for?  The Rangers or Yankees?  Do you have a chance of winning the divsion or would you rather get some distance from the Rangers in the Wild Card race?

That's a question I just asked myself. If the Sox win, then, I'd pull for the Rangers. If the Sox lose....<gulp> the Yanks (that was difficult to say!). You won't hear me say that often....actually ever. In this case, the Rangers can sweep as long as the Sox sweep. If the Sox could pull within 2 games by the end of September, they could take over....It's still hard to tell but I rooting for the Sox to make the playoffs more than anything.

Since the White Sox are playing the Red Sox this week, I had to read through that post 3 times to fully understand what you meant by "Sox".

biggrin.gif

How about losing 2 of 3? Egad! What is up with this team?! The hitter's are hitting at the wrong time. The pitching is trying to figure out where home plate is & the umps are simply giving Yanks pitching a strike zone the size of Montana!

Nothing would be better than a pinstripe team with a pumped-up case of ego-swollen heads!!!

. . . could work with that!!!!! yes.gif

SOX

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 25 2009, 01:33 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 25 2009, 01:22 PM)
The Yankees and Rangers start a series on Tuesday.  Who do you pull for?  The Rangers or Yankees?  Do you have a chance of winning the divsion or would you rather get some distance from the Rangers in the Wild Card race?

Since the White Sox are playing the Red Sox this week, I had to read through that post 3 times to fully understand what you meant by "Sox".

biggrin.gif

Well, unsure.gif You are in the Red Sox thread so..... laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 25 2009, 01:55 PM)

Nothing would be better than a pinstripe team with a pumped-up case of ego-swollen heads!!!

. . . could work with that!!!!! yes.gif

SOX

Hare biggrin.gif

It's happened before....BTW-the Sox are now 6 games behind. Uh-oh, better watch out Spank-me's....the Sox are catching up!

BTW-did anyone see that play the Contreras botched on Papi? You know the one that all he had to do was pick up the ball & tag Papi & he couldn't even pick up the ball?

Forgot, Ellsbury is now the Sox all-time single season base-stealer. WTG!!! cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

I will never forget the time he stole home on Pettite biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 26 2009, 12:16 PM)
Forgot, Ellsbury is now the Sox all-time single season base-stealer. WTG!!!

Whoa...55 Stolen Bases qualifies as your all-time single season leader? confused13.gif

I know you've played in Fenway all these years, but I can think of a lot of Red Sox players over the years that were fast....and yet 55 is the record. Hmmmmm.......

That has to be the lowest single season stolen base record of any team, except for maybe Colorado.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 26 2009, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 26 2009, 12:16 PM)
Forgot, Ellsbury is now the Sox all-time single season base-stealer. WTG!!!

Whoa...55 Stolen Bases qualifies as your all-time single season leader? confused13.gif

I know you've played in Fenway all these years, but I can think of a lot of Red Sox players over the years that were fast....and yet 55 is the record. Hmmmmm.......

That has to be the lowest single season stolen base record of any team, except for maybe Colorado.

For some reason, the Sox never had many base-stealers. That's what makes Ellsbury special now. He can run & is pretty damn good at it. I mean, he only got caught 9 or 10 times out of 55. That's not awesome but not bad either.

Just looking at Ellsbury's stats again.......this kid is a STUD! Looks like he may be the best CF the Red Sox have had EVER.

We've mentioned the speed, but he can also field....he's had 693 chances in 3 years, and made 2 errors, good for a 0.997 FA

Also hits for average, and decent power for a leadoff guy. Needs to work on his patience at the plate though (averaging 42 walks per season to this point).

Check out the stats for yourself!

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 26 2009, 11:39 AM)
Just looking at Ellsbury's stats again.......this kid is a STUD! Looks like he may be the best CF the Red Sox have had EVER.

We've mentioned the speed, but he can also field....he's had 693 chances in 3 years, and made 2 errors, good for a 0.997 FA

Also hits for average, and decent power for a leadoff guy. Needs to work on his patience at the plate though (averaging 42 walks per season to this point).

He is nowhere as good as Fred Lynn was and never will be.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Aug 26 2009, 12:42 PM)
Just looking at Ellsbury's stats again.......this kid is a STUD!  Looks like he may be the best CF the Red Sox have had EVER.

Also hits for average, and decent power for a leadoff guy.  Needs to work on his patience at the plate though (averaging 42 walks per season to this point).

Well............comparing the two:

BA: edge to JE

SA: edge to FL; doubles/triples are about even, but FL has about 2.5x HRs

SB: JE easily. He ALREADY has more SB than Lynn. cool.gif

Fielding: JE is a little bit better fielder.

Give credit, Lynn had one batting title, and 9 AS appearances, but to me it doesn't look like Fred Lynn is a slam dunk to me.

If Tris Speaker had played CF, there would be your winner right there.

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 26 2009, 12:38 PM)
For some reason, the Sox never had many base-stealers. That's what makes Ellsbury special now. He can run & is pretty damn good at it. I mean, he only got caught 9 or 10 times out of 55. That's not awesome but not bad either.

I think every manager that has come through Boston has seen the wisdom in getting runners on and then waiting for someone to pop one over the monster! laugh.gif

Coincidentally, who was the previous holder of the record? I was guessing it was Tris Speaker, but he only had 52 in a season, not 54.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 26 2009, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Aug 26 2009, 12:42 PM)
Just looking at Ellsbury's stats again.......this kid is a STUD!  Looks like he may be the best CF the Red Sox have had EVER.

Also hits for average, and decent power for a leadoff guy.  Needs to work on his patience at the plate though (averaging 42 walks per season to this point).

Well............comparing the two:

BA: edge to JE

SA: edge to FL; doubles/triples are about even, but FL has about 2.5x HRs

SB: JE easily. He ALREADY has more SB than Lynn. cool.gif

Fielding: JE is a little bit better fielder.

Give credit, Lynn had one batting title, and 9 AS appearances, but to me it doesn't look like Fred Lynn is a slam dunk to me.

If Tris Speaker had played CF, there would be your winner right there.

Ellsbury has nowhere near the power that Lynn had. Lynn hit 306 career homers, including more than 20 ten times. And Lynn was a better fielder with a better arm. Lynn won 4 gold gloves. The only advantage Ellsbury has is speed.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 26 2009, 12:05 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Aug 26 2009, 12:38 PM)

I think every manager that has come through Boston has seen the wisdom in getting runners on and then waiting for someone to pop one over the monster! laugh.gif

Coincidentally, who was the previous holder of the record? I was guessing it was Tris Speaker, but he only had 52 in a season, not 54.

54, Tommy Harper held the record with 54 in 1973.