The Red Sox

Der Trommler

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 17 2006, 01:45 AM)
well sure there is something behind it- skill, good players, good manager, good GM (when not being overridden by his owner), and sure a few breaks going your way....I don't belive in luck in anything....that said sometimes I think the baseball gods went on vacatuion without forwarding adress and left the devil in charge, who is obviously a Yankees fan.......

Yeah, but I do believe in luck. Or forces that be that will it that way. Too many times do you see something of that magnitude for so long. It's just too eerie to be coincidence.....

I do know there is skill on all levels too but there have been very good Red Sox teams that SHOULD have beaten the Yankees but didn't. Go figure..

That's where there's something funky! rofl3.gif

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jun 17 2006, 01:55 AM)
Speaking of bad luck:

The Minnesota Twins got a little help from above to complete their first three-game sweep of the Boston Red Sox in 12 years.

Boston slugger David Ortiz crushed a ball that was headed toward the upper deck before it crashed into a speaker hanging from the Metrodome's ceiling, and fell for a harmless single.

That play summed up the Red Sox's frustration as Minnesota finished a three-game sweep with a 5-3 victory Thursday night.

"It's like playing putt-putt golf where you've got to go around the windmill. ... That's embarrassing. The outcome of the game should never, never hinge on a speaker. That's stupid," Boston manager Terry Francona said.

Added Ortiz, a former Twin who chucked his elbow pad toward the dugout in disgust after arriving at first base: "Thank God I only play three games here."

Minnesota, which has won four in a row and six out of seven, exerted plenty of effort, too. Joe Nathan pitched two stressful innings for his eighth save in as many opportunities, striking out Manny Ramirez (for the second time) with a runner on to finish.

"A confidence-builder for sure," Nathan said. "Hopefully this continues a little trend and we can ride this wave right now and go on the road and play better than we have."

uh-huh! hmmm....Anyway, the Red Sox needed those wins but that was only one game out of 3 that happened....

that's not bad luck, that is just more proof that all domed stadia need to be bklown up.....come on now folks, The Trop? the Baggie Dome? this is not where real baseball is played...get out in the air,and if it rains, you get to have a few doubleheaders...they used to do it back in the day,and Babe Ruth and Ted Williams never seemed to be adversely affected.....

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 17 2006, 02:04 AM)
that's not bad luck, that is just more proof that all domed stadia need to be bklown up.....come on now folks, The Trop? the Baggie Dome? this is not where real baseball is played...get out in the air,and if it rains, you get to have a few doubleheaders...they used to do it back in the day,and Babe Ruth and Ted Williams never seemed to be adversely affected.....

Different era...different players. I don't think these players would hold up against the players of yesteryear!

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 17 2006, 02:04 AM)

yes.gif I like the idea of domes as long as it falls under the category of using REAL grass & the dome is high enough that a ball won't hit the DAMN SPEAKER!

I hate domes and astroturf/flubber/field turf......I think that and the five man rotation are amon the worst things to ever happen to baseball.....

that said, retractable rooves, while I don'tlove them are ok...as long as like you said it's real grass. I still say baseball shouldn't be played indoors in any way shape or form

you're also right that the palyers of today wouldn't hold up against the old school players.....I think that the pitchers of yesterday would eat 90% of the hitters of today alive, and the hitters of yesterday would make most of today's pitchers piss in their pants......today's players are just too babied for their own good......

You're right. It really does bewilder me when I see a pitcher pitch for 5 innings barely breaking a sweat, get taken out after 103 pitches. Ok, what's up with that? Why is it the pitcher's need to be taken out? Then , after all that is done, they get used to the pampering & start throwing worse earlier. I love watching a pitcher go 8-9 innings...That's awesome to see! I loved watching the bloody sock. Why? Not because the pain behind it but what it stood for. Schilling pushed threw that & I'm convinced it was he that sparked the Sox to win. nothing more than a man in pain willing to give everything he had just to win it all. That was classic. That's all I can say.

how true, how true. and sadly as we get further along, the chances of something like that ever happening again become less and less. Hate to say it but work horse pitchers like Schilling, Clemmons Johnson (as much as I hate that SOB), Musina, etc are a dying breed, as are position players who can flash leather, and work the count and hit for average and steal bases, without having to resort to roids and other substances. As much as I love watching the Sox, some times it depresses me because I know that baseball could be and was meant to be more than what I am watching. Unfortunatly, those days are gone never to be seen again

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 17 2006, 02:40 AM)
how true, how true. and sadly as we get further along, the chances of something like that ever happening again become less and less. Hate to say it but work horse pitchers like Schilling, Clemmons Johnson (as much as I hate that SOB), Musina, etc are a dying breed, as are position players who can flash leather, and work the count and hit for average and steal bases, without having to resort to roids and other substances. As much as I love watching the Sox, some times it depresses me because I know that baseball could be and was meant to be more than what I am watching. Unfortunatly, those days are gone never to be seen again

You're right. I also have issues with rising prices. The talent wants more, the owners want their cut & no one really cares who wins the World Series except the fans of the teams. It's more about money than the win. Some players still do think that way but how many would be willing to sacrifice a paycut to get another player in that will make a difference. Or how about making sure they play with everything they got because the win was more important?

I love the players who play with their heart, not with their purse. Manny being Manny irks me because he could be SO much better. If there weren't fans & they were only playing for pride & fun, would he play different? Who knows...but I played in Little League & I played every moment every game. Every loss, I recounted what I did wrong. Why? Because I wanted MY team to win!

rising prices and stars wanting more cash is a symptom of the society we live in, where the entire point seems to be to get the most bling bling and not care about anything but looking out for number one (and not stepping in number 2). The atheletes aren't totally dumb, they know that they drive the sport, not the owners, and want as much cash as they can get out of the owners, and the owners of most teams know they can jack the prices up as much as they want and people will pay. Sad part is it becomes less accesible to the fans, and becomes an event to be seen at instead of watching a great game......

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 17 2006, 02:58 AM)
rising prices and stars wanting more cash is a symptom of the society we live in, where the entire point seems to be to get the most bling bling and not care about anything but looking out for number one (and not stepping in number 2). The atheletes aren't totally dumb, they know that they drive the sport, not the owners, and want as much cash as they can get out of the owners, and the owners of most teams know they can jack the prices up as much as they want and people will pay. Sad part is it becomes less accesible to the fans, and becomes an event to be seen at instead of watching a great game......

LSM has never gone to a Sox game. She never went to Fenway. I've been there many times, just not recently as I there's no possible way after the World Series....You're right. That's why the people who have money get to use it & the people who don't watch it from a bar or home....sad.gif

well, the Sox won a second straight.....only bad news is Manny's knee is acting up. This could be problematic. Tommorrow's pitching match up is going to be good, Schilling and Smoltz.....

I know, haven't been to game at Fenway since 2003, been impossible to get tickets.....I think my cousins have the right idea, when they go to visit my grandfather in tampa, they schedule it so they are there when the Sox play the D rays, and can walk up and get good seats....I love Fenway, I love the sights and sounds, the traditions and all, but no way in hell am I shelling out that kind of money for a tiny seat and a bunch of non-baseball fan posers around me. I'd rather go to my local watering hole and watch or get a 6 pack and watch at home....besides, when it becomes a blow out I can always change channels

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 18 2006, 02:00 AM)
well, the Sox won a second straight.....only bad news is Manny's knee is acting up. This could be problematic. Tommorrow's pitching match up is going to be good, Schilling and Smoltz.....

I know, haven't been to game at Fenway since 2003, been impossible to get tickets.....I think my cousins have the right idea, when they go to visit my grandfather in tampa, they schedule it so they are there when the Sox play the D rays, and can walk up and get good seats....I love Fenway, I love the sights and sounds, the traditions and all, but no way in hell am I shelling out that kind of money for a tiny seat and a bunch of non-baseball fan posers around me. I'd rather go to my local watering hole and watch or get a 6 pack and watch at home....besides, when it becomes a blow out I can always change channels

Yeah...I wouldn't mind seeing them in Tampa...It makes it easy to see them. The whole band wagon still bugs me, though. Just because they won, means you love them now? wtf.gif

I don't know...I remember when the tix to the bleachers were under $10.

it is kind of pathetic, not sure if you read it but one of the Sox beat writers wrote a rather scathing editorial just bashing all the bandwagon Sox fans, the ones who show up with the stupid "Hey Rem Dawg" signs, the ones wearing pink Sox hats, the ones who couldn't tell you half the roster from the championship team.....it was one of the funniest thing I have read in a bit, and alos so true. Sadly our beloved Friendly Fenway was taken over by people who only want to attend the hot event....if the Sox go in the tank like they did through the mid 90's again, 90% of the people attending now won't want a thing to do with the Red Sox.....almost wish the Sox would tank for a year or 2 and get rid of all the hangers on......

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 18 2006, 02:16 AM)
it is kind of pathetic, not sure if you read it but one of the Sox beat writers wrote a rather scathing editorial just bashing all the bandwagon Sox fans, the ones who show up with the stupid "Hey Rem Dawg" signs, the ones wearing pink Sox hats, the ones who couldn't tell you half the roster from the championship team.....it was one of the funniest thing I have read in a bit, and alos so true. Sadly our beloved Friendly Fenway was taken over by people who only want to attend the hot event....if the Sox go in the tank like they did through the mid 90's again, 90% of the people attending now won't want a thing to do with the Red Sox.....almost wish the Sox would tank for a year or 2 and get rid of all the hangers on......

I always liked underdogs...I've never been a bandwagon type person. I followed the Sox for many reasons & one is that I was brought up that way! The other is that my grandfather was on the team but never made it out of Spring training....So many....But I'd rather someone hate them than to like them solely on merit of a championship. It is pathetic. If you were a fan before cool! I watched the Pats win their first Super Bowl. I don't mind watching from time to time & would only wear the gear if someone bought it for me. But I guess that's me...Also the reason why when I found Rush, it was on my own. That is what made me feel a little bit better about it. My friends were following whoever was really hot as a band....It stinks!

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 18 2006, 01:16 AM)

Losing won't scare them off, if the sellout crowds at Wrigley are any indication. All of a sudden, it becomes a business comp affair. Regular fans can't compete with expense accounts, unfortunately. These people might not know the game as well, but they probably know Sweet Caroline better, though.

that is true, Wrigley does still pack them in, but it's always been kind of a party going on, with a baseball game in the background, at least that is the vibe I always got from Wrigley.....unfortunatly it's the way all sports have gone, have to have the deals donw for luxury boxes and what not before you can even think about breaking ground on a new stadium......

QUOTE (anagramking @ Jun 18 2006, 02:34 AM)
QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 18 2006, 01:16 AM)
it is kind of pathetic, not sure if you read it but one of the Sox beat writers wrote a rather scathing editorial just bashing all the bandwagon Sox fans, the ones who show up with the stupid "Hey Rem Dawg" signs, the ones wearing pink Sox hats, the ones who couldn't tell you half the roster from the championship team.....it was one of the funniest thing I have read in a bit, and alos so true.  Sadly our beloved Friendly Fenway was taken over by people who only want to attend the hot event....if the Sox go in the tank like they did through the mid 90's again, 90% of the people attending now won't want a thing to do with the Red Sox.....almost wish the Sox would tank for a year or 2 and get rid of all the hangers on......

Losing won't scare them off, if the sellout crowds at Wrigley are any indication. All of a sudden, it becomes a business comp affair. Regular fans can't compete with expense accounts, unfortunately. These people might not know the game as well, but they probably know Sweet Caroline better, though.

rofl3.gif How right you are!

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 18 2006, 08:34 PM)
did you see that blast from Ortiz in the first inning? here we go Red Sox!

Missing it?!?!??! bolt.gif

QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 18 2006, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 18 2006, 07:34 PM)
did you see that blast from Ortiz in the first inning?  here we go Red Sox!

ortiz = the red sox' jesus christ

Where is his cross? rofl3.gif

Edited by Der Trommler

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jun 18 2006, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (daveyt @ Jun 18 2006, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 18 2006, 07:34 PM)
did you see that blast from Ortiz in the first inning?  here we go Red Sox!

ortiz = the red sox' jesus christ

Where is his cross? rofl3.gif

on a big gold chain around his neck???

Schilling coughs up 2, but Manny ties it up again with another big fly...that's the way to break out of an 0-18 skid