Maureen Stapleton dead at 80

GeddyRulz

Oscar-winning actress Maureen Stapleton died today; she was 80.

Maybe her death isn't a big deal to many of you, but because she was born in Troy, New York (just outside my hometown of Albany), she was quite a big deal around here.

Maureen Stapleton has won two Tony Awards, an Emmy, and an Oscar (Best Supporting Actress for Warren Beatty's "Reds" in 1981).

Other movies: Airport, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Summer of '42, Cocoon, Johnny Dangerously, Nuts, Plaza Suite, Interiors, The Money Pit, and Heartburn.

http://www.cyranos.ch/doppstap.jpg

I loved her in Johnny Dangerously, she was fargin' hilarious.

I like the scene at the beginning where she says to the camera with a heavy Irish brogue: "The lower east side, ita really sucks."

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Mar 14 2006, 11:29 PM)
I like the scene at the beginning where she says to the camera with a heavy Irish brogue: "The lower east side, ita really sucks."

Or what she's says after receiving an ashtray for a gift:

"I been thinking about taking up smoking; this seals it."

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 15 2006, 07:00 AM)
QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Mar 14 2006, 11:29 PM)

Or what she's says after receiving an ashtray for a gift:

"I been thinking about taking up smoking; this seals it."

And then there's the scene where she pulls out a flask of whiskey to celebrate her son's graduation from law school. Her son says: "But Ma, it's prohibition!" and she says: "Oh shut up and stop acting like a fag choir boy."

QUOTE (thestand @ Mar 15 2006, 02:51 PM)
Waits for something to be on WNYT news (my local news, which covers Troy/Albany)

My local news, too - I live in Albany. If they said anything about Maureen Stapleton, it would've been a couple days ago.

By the way, I sometimes do the evening traffic report for WNYT - whenever Julie Feiner or Jackie Donovan needs a day off. The rest of the time, you can hear me (Mark Daniels) doing traffic reports on the radio.

Archived