Digital Camera Advice Thread

barney_rebel

QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Feb 11 2006, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 11 2006, 11:54 AM)
QUOTE (Ghost of a Rider @ Feb 11 2006, 03:05 AM)
What kind of camera do you have barn'? I just got a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D SLR with 6.1 megapixels. Damn thing cost me $863 after taxes.
It takes pretty good shots but they don't seem to have the sharpness of my Minolta Maxxum 5xi. Unless I'm just doing something wrong. So far I've only used it in auto mode, I don't have the expertise to play with the aperture or f-stop or anything.

Once you stop using auto-mode, you'll really get clear photos.

The key to clear photos is chosing the right ISO speed given the lighting situation, or knowing when to use or not use the flash.

For example, with my shitty camera, I used ISO200 with no flash in this night-time photo. The shutter stayed open for 1 second:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/28135816/

BTW - nice camera you got there.

Thanks, I paid enough for it. And thanks for the tips, I'll try 'em.

That's a cool night shot. Is that Niagara Falls?

Yup. I was pretty drunk when I took that one. Awesome view from the hotel room.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay Barn. What do you think of this package? I've been waiting to get a GOOD digital for awhile now. I wanted to get a Rebel, but don't have enough for one at this time, so I went with a FujiFilm FinePix S5200. It has a 10x optical zoom and it has 5.1 megapixels. I love outdoor photography and there was an olympus available with 12x zoom, but i already have fuji cameras so I already have the better cards. Anyway, it was 400 bux with a 50 dollar mail in rebate. I got it at Ritz so it came with their 300 dollar package of coupons and LESSONS. 18 hour and a half camera lessons if you want them. Also for another 170 dollars I got an Epson R320 printer with 150 dollars of mail in rebates. So WOW. Not a bad deal on that printer huh?

I can't wait to start shooting with it. I'm playing around now, but nothing serious. So far though, I love it. It's light, easy to handle and i'm already familiar with Fuji software, so it's easy to use.

Tell me what you think of the whole package in general. My bill came to almost eight hundred with the 2 year warranty deal that replaces it NO MATTER WHAT happens to it. As long as I can bring it in. laugh.gif And I'm getting back 200 in rebates... so under 6oo total.

QUOTE (Trance @ Feb 11 2006, 09:04 PM)
Like for instance I took this picture without the flash, but as you can see it's not very sharp or clear. I messed around with it in photoshop, sharpening a bit and such, and played with the colors and contrast a bit. The coloring I like, but jus wish it wasn't so noisy.

http://www.deviantart.com/view/28915110/

i like how the photo appears old though, it wouldn't if it were sharper

i didn't know about the speed?

I use the flower button for closer shots where I want to focus on one thing and there is a spot metering button too

which i used here

http://www.deviantart.com/view/29152388/

but i don't know the spped?

there is a white balance feature i should use too

and the sharp feature?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_fukedup.gif

QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Feb 20 2006, 02:58 PM)
I have a Fujifilm FinePix F700, is this camera even decent?

Can you point to some kind of quick read that tells me the difference between Auto,M,A,S,P?  Iso 200 Iso1600? Quality is 1M or 6M?

Also if I pay 15 bucks for the battery I could have a Nikon Coolpix 2100. IS this one better?

Since Barn is away I guess I can fill in till then....

Judging from this...it looks like it's ok.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf700/

P=Auto Multi Program- Pretty much your letting the camera do everything to the suit the subject.

S=Shutter Priority Auto- You choose the shutter speed to freeze action, or slow shutter speeds.

A=Aperture-Pirority Auto- Adjust aperture to soften background details, or increase depth of field...to bring the main subject and the background into focus.

M=Pretty much on your own...you create both shutter speed and aperture to suit your needs.

ISO means "Sensitivity"- or otherwise the digital equivalent of film speed. The higher the ISO the less light need to make an exposure, allowing higher shutter speeds or smaller apertures.

Nikon cool pix

Basically you get what you pay. Depends on what type of pictures you will be taking...if your like me and want something that will be dependable and also will DO the job because you need good pictures then you need a camera that will do the job...I got my D70s for $1800...and it was worth the money. If you are a person that will just take casual pictures and it's all in good fun...yeah I don't see a problem of getting the fuji or Nikon...although I would go with Nikon...simply because it has a really good name to it and many professionals use it. I have had my camera since July and everything has worked exceptionally well. God I feel like a salesman laugh.gif Hope this helps...

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 19 2006, 03:19 PM)
Okay Barn. What do you think of this package? I've been waiting to get a GOOD digital for awhile now. I wanted to get a Rebel, but don't have enough for one at this time, so I went with a FujiFilm FinePix S5200. It has a 10x optical zoom and it has 5.1 megapixels. I love outdoor photography and there was an olympus available with 12x zoom, but i already have fuji cameras so I already have the better cards. Anyway, it was 400 bux with a 50 dollar mail in rebate. I got it at Ritz so it came with their 300 dollar package of coupons and LESSONS. 18 hour and a half camera lessons if you want them. Also for another 170 dollars I got an Epson R320 printer with 150 dollars of mail in rebates. So WOW. Not a bad deal on that printer huh?

I can't wait to start shooting with it. I'm playing around now, but nothing serious. So far though, I love it. It's light, easy to handle and i'm already familiar with Fuji software, so it's easy to use.

Tell me what you think of the whole package in general. My bill came to almost eight hundred with the 2 year warranty deal that replaces it NO MATTER WHAT happens to it. As long as I can bring it in. laugh.gif And I'm getting back 200 in rebates... so under 6oo total.

Barn is away so i'll just say what I think since I'm a photographer too... laugh.gif

I am!

ok...so the Fuji. I have heard good things about this camera. 5.1 megapixels is sweet! Ourdoor will be awesome results dude new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif All the reviews I have seen said this camera was good...so I think you did get a good deal. I had an Olympus once and it sucked.

I don't know what the price is up here for that package. But it the rebate on the printer is rad! and if you say that it was basically for $600 I think you did indeed get it for a good price! trink39.gif

After you take some pics tell us if it's pretty good or not! It should be! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 19 2006, 03:54 PM)
Like for instance I took this picture without the flash, but as you can see it's not very sharp or clear. I messed around with it in photoshop, sharpening a bit and such, and played with the colors and contrast a bit. The coloring I like, but jus wish it wasn't so noisy.

I use the flower button for closer shots where I want to focus on one thing and there is a spot metering button too

which i used here

and the sharp feature?

laugh.gif I know how you feel! First time I had my camera I was saying to myself "Holy shit...this thing has too many buttons!"

If you want to take pictures of something still like flowers...use the fastest speed possible.

White balance...ok I looked up your camera it says it has 6 presets ( I think?)... I'm guessing they are these...I dunno if your camera has the same...if not, tell me what they are and I will breakdown what each should be used for biggrin.gif

Incandescent- Incandescent light

Fluorescent- Fluorescent light

Direct Sunlight- Use the subject lit by direct sunlight

Flash- Use the flash of the camera

Cloudy- use in daylight under overcast skies

Shade-use in daylight with subjects in the shade

With my camera it has fine tuning...you pick a preset and you can pick 0, +1, +2, +3, -1, -2, -3

These fine tunings introduce to the image a "cold" of "warm" look. Higher settings can be used to lend images a bluish tinge or to compensate for light sources with a yellow or red cast...while lowering white balance can make pictures appear slightly more yellow or red or compensate for light sources with a blue cast.

White Blance is your friend if you use it the right way. Now for using it for flowers...using Direct Sunlight, Cloudy and Shade would perhaps work well.

Hmm this sharp feature you say....I guess to make things sharp? I have no clue dude laugh.gif Hopefully I didn't confuse you!

I've ordered one of these...we should get it today or tomorrow. Nikon Coolpix 8700.

I wanted a digi SLR, but Lilya likes the small cute compact cameras, so we compromised and got this. Its 8 Mp and seems to have some good reviews

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001EY1GY.01-A1PY46IM1CBEG3._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

anyone know anything about these?

^

^BTW, D13, that hit on Crosby is a corker - ouch scared.gif ...should a rookie really be treated like that? 1287.gif

Edited by rickyrob

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 21 2006, 01:35 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 19 2006, 03:54 PM)

which i used here

and the sharp feature?

laugh.gif I know how you feel! First time I had my camera I was saying to myself "Holy shit...this thing has too many buttons!"

If you want to take pictures of something still like flowers...use the fastest speed possible.

White balance...ok I looked up your camera it says it has 6 presets ( I think?)... I'm guessing they are these...I dunno if your camera has the same...if not, tell me what they are and I will breakdown what each should be used for biggrin.gif

Incandescent- Incandescent light

Fluorescent- Fluorescent light

Direct Sunlight- Use the subject lit by direct sunlight

Flash- Use the flash of the camera

Cloudy- use in daylight under overcast skies

Shade-use in daylight with subjects in the shade

With my camera it has fine tuning...you pick a preset and you can pick 0, +1, +2, +3, -1, -2, -3

These fine tunings introduce to the image a "cold" of "warm" look. Higher settings can be used to lend images a bluish tinge or to compensate for light sources with a yellow or red cast...while lowering white balance can make pictures appear slightly more yellow or red or compensate for light sources with a blue cast.

White Blance is your friend if you use it the right way. Now for using it for flowers...using Direct Sunlight, Cloudy and Shade would perhaps work well.

Hmm this sharp feature you say....I guess to make things sharp? I have no clue dude laugh.gif Hopefully I didn't confuse you!

oy!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_fukedup.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_fukedup.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/icon_fukedup.gif

1. WHere the hell is the speed setting? confused13.gif

2. I don't think there is fine tuning for the white balance on Hucks cam sad.gif

(1 +1 +2 etc)

Although yest when I put it on sunlight or daylight setting, it worked fab until the clouds came and wonder of wonder, the damn thing flashed low light! ohmy.gif It's f***ing psychic man

But anyway, then you push the button and it shows like lightning bolts? some with A some with a hand? and an eye WTF is that?

3. THe sharp feature. I'm playing with that. If I can remember which shot was used with sharp, fine and soft I'd be making progress! laugh.gif

Thanks D! Any bit helps yes.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 20 2006, 08:09 PM)

Barn is away so i'll just say what I think since I'm a photographer too... laugh.gif

I am!

ok...so the Fuji. I have heard good things about this camera. 5.1 megapixels is sweet! Ourdoor will be awesome results dude new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif All the reviews I have seen said this camera was good...so I think you did get a good deal. I had an Olympus once and it sucked.

I don't know what the price is up here for that package. But it the rebate on the printer is rad! and if you say that it was basically for $600 I think you did indeed get it for a good price! trink39.gif

After you take some pics tell us if it's pretty good or not! It should be! biggrin.gif

Thanks D for the review. I bought it on Sunday and am on overtime, so I haven't had a real good amount of time to mess with it yet. I've been reading the booklet though and it seems to have just about everything i wanted in a camera. My only concern is it's zoom ability and how clear pics will be on full zoom. So far when I zoom, it looks quite blurry in the viewfinder and on the LED. I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong yet, so I'm not panicking.

I had wanted to get a digital rebel, since I've been using a film rebel for quite a while now. The price on it was just too much still. If I already had a large assortment of lenses, I may have gotten it, but I have the lens that comes with the package deal, so I opted for the fuji instead. 3 million megapixels difference, but quite good for now.

The Rebel will be next.

Hope to shoot some stuff this weekend. I'll post some links then. Thanks again. I remembered Barn was away as soon as I posted that. doh.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Feb 20 2006, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (endlesslymocking @ Feb 20 2006, 02:58 PM)
I have a Fujifilm FinePix F700, is this camera even decent?

Can you point to some kind of quick read that tells me the difference between Auto,M,A,S,P?  Iso 200 Iso1600? Quality is 1M or 6M?

Also if I pay 15 bucks for the battery I could have a Nikon Coolpix 2100. IS this one better?

Since Barn is away I guess I can fill in till then....

Judging from this...it looks like it's ok.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf700/

P=Auto Multi Program- Pretty much your letting the camera do everything to the suit the subject.

S=Shutter Priority Auto- You choose the shutter speed to freeze action, or slow shutter speeds.

A=Aperture-Pirority Auto- Adjust aperture to soften background details, or increase depth of field...to bring the main subject and the background into focus.

M=Pretty much on your own...you create both shutter speed and aperture to suit your needs.

ISO means "Sensitivity"- or otherwise the digital equivalent of film speed. The higher the ISO the less light need to make an exposure, allowing higher shutter speeds or smaller apertures.

Nikon cool pix

Basically you get what you pay. Depends on what type of pictures you will be taking...if your like me and want something that will be dependable and also will DO the job because you need good pictures then you need a camera that will do the job...I got my D70s for $1800...and it was worth the money. If you are a person that will just take casual pictures and it's all in good fun...yeah I don't see a problem of getting the fuji or Nikon...although I would go with Nikon...simply because it has a really good name to it and many professionals use it. I have had my camera since July and everything has worked exceptionally well. God I feel like a salesman laugh.gif Hope this helps...

Thanks D.

I was in AUTO and trhe pictures were Crap.....I used the P mode and it was ten times better. I'm not looking to do much. And both Cameras were given away after their owner gave up on using them. The price is right.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Feb 21 2006, 01:02 AM)
I've ordered one of these...we should get it today or tomorrow. Nikon Coolpix 8700.

I wanted a digi SLR, but Lilya likes the small cute compact cameras, so we compromised and got this. Its 8 Mp and seems to have some good reviews

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001EY1GY.01-A1PY46IM1CBEG3._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

anyone know anything about these?

^
^BTW, D13, that hit on Crosby is a corker - ouch scared.gif ...should a rookie really be treated like that? 1287.gif

lol Guess you would have to talk to Robyn about that! laugh.gif

I used a Fuji Finepix (forget the model but it sounds very similar to Necro's) and I loved it. I didn't like it as much as my Canon, but the features were easy to use, and it seemed to not cconfuse the hell out of me when I needed to change modes.

I didn't like how you had to slide the front panel to turn the camera on. I could see that breaking one day.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Feb 21 2006, 04:01 AM)

But anyway, then you push the button and it shows like lightning bolts? some with A some with a hand? and an eye WTF is that?

Umm I think i Know this

Lightining bolt is flash.

Red circle around it means no flash.

An A is probably Auto

The Eye is a double flash to avoid red eye I think

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 10 2006, 11:01 PM)
I have been taking photos for, a year and a half now smile.gif

Anyone looking to buy a new camera, have questions on the jargon, or want to discuss digital photo technics, ask!

whats the secret to catching birds in flight, while at the same time keeping the focus sharp?

is it best to shoot on manual, aperture, or shutter speed?

Canon 30d w/ 70-300mm IS -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Dec 28 2006, 02:10 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 10 2006, 11:01 PM)
I have been taking photos for, a year and a half now smile.gif

Anyone looking to buy a new camera, have questions on the jargon, or want to discuss digital photo technics, ask!

whats the secret to catching birds in flight, while at the same time keeping the focus sharp?

is it best to shoot on manual, aperture, or shutter speed?

Canon 30d w/ 70-300mm IS -

If you want the background blurred, use the AI Servo mode:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/322607395_c0daac47ff_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT

Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)

Aperture: f/5.6

Focal Length: 55 mm

ISO Speed: 400

Exposure Bias: 0/2 EV

Flash: Flash did not fire

Orientation: Horizontal (normal)

X-Resolution: 72 dpi