Sierra Nevada company stuff is overrated

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 25 2006, 05:38 PM)
I just finished one of the IPA's, it was really good. It has a nice bitterness at the end.

Bigfoot is next....

Mmmmmmm....

This Bigfoot is tasty, definitely a stronger taste than Arrogant Bastard but also a bit thicker.

I likes it some lot. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 3 2006, 09:56 PM)
I still think their Pale Ale is the best American pale ale out there. It's surprisingly complex for a brew that's now available in all 50 states. (I hear Stone Pale Ale up there, but I've yet to try it.) Their Celebration Ale is one of the best American IPAs...too bad it's only available around the holidays. SN Porter is good, but there are better ones out there (Rogue, for example). Have yet to try their Stout, but I doubt it's better than Samuel Smith's Stouts or Victory's Black Hawk Stout.

What did you think of their Bigfoot Ale? Strong stuff, eh?  wacko.gif

Whatever.

Bunch of overrated crap, im.

Okay, not crap, but overrated.

Bigfoot ale was just more of the same -- just stronger.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

I like the Pale Ale and the Celebration.

Bigfoot is OK, but if I want a real Barley Wine, I drink Old Foghorn. I've had Old Foghorn on tap too, at Rossi's in Orlando. Damn that stuff is good.

And.....TRM has a forum dedicated to alcohol....oh man. Home.

QUOTE (Xeislan @ Mar 11 2006, 09:58 AM)
I like the Pale Ale and the Celebration. 

Bigfoot is OK, but if I want a real Barley Wine, I drink Old Foghorn.  I've had Old Foghorn on tap too, at Rossi's in Orlando.  Damn that stuff is good.

And.....TRM has a forum dedicated to alcohol....oh man.  Home.

trink39.gif trink38.gif signs015.gif cosmo.gif martini_shaken.gif ............. 062802puke_prv.gif

I made a stop at the Sierra Nevada Brewery yesterday and I'll provide a report soon. I hadn't been there in about 13 years. I think I'll start a new thread for it since the title of this one is not exactly a rave review of SN.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Feb 4 2006, 12:03 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 3 2006, 06:56 PM)
I still think their Pale Ale is the best American pale ale out there. It's surprisingly complex for a brew that's now available in all 50 states. (I hear Stone Pale Ale up there, but I've yet to try it.) Their Celebration Ale is one of the best American IPAs...too bad it's only available around the holidays. SN Porter is good, but there are better ones out there (Rogue, for example). Have yet to try their Stout, but I doubt it's better than Samuel Smith's Stouts or Victory's Black Hawk Stout.

I have to agree with 1-0-0-1.

For a mass produced, available everywhere beer it is the best out there. Granted there are other beers that are much better, but I consider it an everyday drinking beer, much as most use bud, corona, etc...

Their Celebration Ale is AMAZING.

Well, I didn't mean to suggest their stuff sucks.

I just meant that I don't see their stuff as being any better than lots of other stuff, from lots of other companies, which is available out there.

As for the Bigfoot Ale: yes, it is very strong as far as potential drunkfactor, but the taste wasn't anything exceptional, at all.

Same goes for the Celebration Ale. Nothing special, imo, at all. Note: when I mean "nothing special" -- I am of course referring to the universe of microbrews, and NOT Budweisers or Miller lite or the like. To me, SN stuff is just fairly average in the universe of american microbrews. If a choice was given me between drinking Budweiser and Sierra Nevada, I would choose SN without hesitation as being the superior beer.

Of course what we are discussing here is a matter of personal taste, which is entirely subjective. There is no right or wrong answer on such subjects.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

QUOTE (Dread Pirate Robert @ Mar 7 2006, 11:58 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 3 2006, 09:56 PM)

Whatever.

Bunch of overrated crap, im.

Okay, not crap, but overrated.

Bigfoot ale was just more of the same -- just stronger.

Hmmm . . . I am surprised to see this post. Don't remember making it. Must have been really drunk and in an ornery mood.

Disregard this post and the one following it, my last response above is more accurate of my true feelings.

I believe I've only had SN's pale ale, the normal one.

It's okay, but I'm not a big pale ale guy anyway.

I tend to stick to thick, dark beers. Porters, Stouts, etc.

I'd gladly make a trip to any microbrewery including SN.

I'm sure one gets a much better appreciation for the beer

and the actual establishment. Anyone had Sudwerks from

Davis?