Sierra Nevada company stuff is overrated

I still think their Pale Ale is the best American pale ale out there. It's surprisingly complex for a brew that's now available in all 50 states. (I hear Stone Pale Ale up there, but I've yet to try it.) Their Celebration Ale is one of the best American IPAs...too bad it's only available around the holidays. SN Porter is good, but there are better ones out there (Rogue, for example). Have yet to try their Stout, but I doubt it's better than Samuel Smith's Stouts or Victory's Black Hawk Stout.

What did you think of their Bigfoot Ale? Strong stuff, eh? wacko.gif

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 3 2006, 06:56 PM)
I still think their Pale Ale is the best American pale ale out there. It's surprisingly complex for a brew that's now available in all 50 states. (I hear Stone Pale Ale up there, but I've yet to try it.) Their Celebration Ale is one of the best American IPAs...too bad it's only available around the holidays. SN Porter is good, but there are better ones out there (Rogue, for example). Have yet to try their Stout, but I doubt it's better than Samuel Smith's Stouts or Victory's Black Hawk Stout.

I have to agree with 1-0-0-1.

For a mass produced, available everywhere beer it is the best out there. Granted there are other beers that are much better, but I consider it an everyday drinking beer, much as most use bud, corona, etc...

Their Celebration Ale is AMAZING.

Ah, I think you all know how I feel about this.. Having lived next to their brewery and sampled their ales right there at their pub back in the late 80's before they got so big across the country. The taste of SN Pale Ale draft at their pub is great memories... I didn't discover the Celebration Ale until a few years later. That is definately my favorite beer/ale ever.

trink38.gif

I have to say though, the Mendocino Brewing Co. is quickly becoming my current favorite. I've now tried four of their brews and they are just about equal in quality with SN.

Edit: due to horrible grammar and spelling... wacko.gif

Edited by Earthshine

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 3 2006, 09:56 PM)

Their Bigfoot is a Barley Wine Style, not a true Barley Wine, good but not nearly as good as Rogues, I think its called Old Crustacean.

Rogue is one of the finer Breweries IMO.

I think Sierra's best quality is that it is a farily consistent product, but typically you can find better brews locally.

Sierra Nevada is now making a true IPA... It's one of their specialty ales, so I haven't seen it bottled.. I'm thinking of making the drive to their pub soon so I can sample it as well as their bigfoot ale (which I think is in season now).

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 21 2006, 12:16 AM)
Sierra Nevada is now making a true IPA... It's one of their specialty ales, so I haven't seen it bottled.. I'm thinking of making the drive to their pub soon so I can sample it as well as their bigfoot ale (which I think is in season now).

trink38.gif

Hopefully they'll bottle that IPA! drool1.gif

SN Bigfoot = STRONG. It's in the Arrogant Bastard range. Drink responsibly. trink38.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 20 2006, 09:32 PM)
Sierra Nevada is now making a true IPA...  It's one of their specialty ales, so I  haven't seen it bottled..  I'm thinking of making the drive to their pub soon so I can sample it as well as their bigfoot ale (which I think is in season now).

trink38.gif

SN Bigfoot = STRONG. It's in the Arrogant Bastard range. Drink responsibly. trink38.gif

"responsibility" is my middle name...

Two words: 9.6% ABV

drool1.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 21 2006, 01:45 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 20 2006, 09:32 PM)
Sierra Nevada is now making a true IPA...  It's one of their specialty ales, so I  haven't seen it bottled..  I'm thinking of making the drive to their pub soon so I can sample it as well as their bigfoot ale (which I think is in season now).

trink38.gif

"responsibility" is my middle name...

Two words: 9.6% ABV

drool1.gif

Then the responsible thing to do is to have TWO Bigfoots. yes.gif trink38.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 21 2006, 12:32 AM)

trink38.gif

Actually it is in bottle. I've been drinking it here in Cincy for the past 3 or 4 weeks. I'm not sure when they started bottling it.

Good stuff! trink38.gif

QUOTE (bardan @ Feb 20 2006, 11:16 PM)

trink38.gif

Actually it is in bottle. I've been drinking it here in Cincy for the past 3 or 4 weeks. I'm not sure when they started bottling it.

Good stuff! trink38.gif

Sweet!!! I've got to call them and find out where I can buy it! I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 21 2006, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (bardan @ Feb 20 2006, 11:16 PM)

trink38.gif

Good stuff! trink38.gif

Sweet!!! I've got to call them and find out where I can buy it! I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

I saw some at Albertsons over the weekend. I am not an IPA fan though, so I didn't buy any. I would like to get my hands on some of the Bigfoot Ale though.

I stopped at BevMo on the way home from work.. I picked up the new SN IPA.. I'm wondering how different it is from the Celebration Ale.. The Alcohol content is about the same.. I also picked up some Pale Ale and a 6er of Porter (which I haven't drank in a long time)..

They were out of the Big Foot Ale angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 21 2006, 11:21 PM)
I stopped at BevMo on the way home from work..  I picked up the new SN IPA..    I'm wondering how different it is from the Celebration Ale..  The Alcohol content is about the same..

Does the label look like this? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/1607.jpg

According to Beer Advocate, it's an English IPA, and they tend to be a little more malty or bready than an American IPA.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 21 2006, 08:54 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 21 2006, 11:21 PM)
I stopped at BevMo on the way home from work..  I picked up the new SN IPA..    I'm wondering how different it is from the Celebration Ale..  The Alcohol content is about the same..

Does the label look like this? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Beer/1607.jpg

According to Beer Advocate, it's an English IPA, and they tend to be a little more malty or bready than an American IPA.

Yep, that's it.. I just put it in the frigde...

I'm having a Porter since they were cold... Wow! I don't remember it being this good!!! Hints of Coffee and Carmel... and at 5.6% ABV, very drinkable...

trink38.gif <<<<< the Porter looks just like this! trink39.gif

Edited by Earthshine

Went to the new BevMo in Folsom today and they had the Big Foot Ale, so I'm now the proud owner of a 6 pack (for $10)...

I now have five different Sierra Nevada Ales in the fridge...

Tonight I drank a Celebration Ale first, then an IPA... They are very similar, but the Celebration is actually hoppier with more flavor IMO.

Boy, such a nice problem to have (deciding which SN Ale to drink next..)

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 25 2006, 06:00 PM)
The Big Foot Ale is ... Strong... Very strong..

It might even be stronger tasting than Arrogant Bastard.. It's kicking my ass.

Do you LIKE how it tastes? My local beer guy just got some in and I'm debating buying some.

If you feel like you're fighting to finish the six because it tastes too strong, take a couple of bottles and cellar them. Store them upright in a cool, dark place for a year and you'll notice a different taste -- a little mellower, a little more complex. Cellaring is usually reserved for beers with an ABV of at least 8%. Bigfoot certainly qualifies.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 25 2006, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Feb 25 2006, 06:00 PM)
The Big Foot Ale is ...      Strong...    Very strong..

It might even be stronger tasting than Arrogant Bastard..  It's kicking my ass.

Do you LIKE how it tastes? My local beer guy just got some in and I'm debating buying some.

If you feel like you're fighting to finish the six because it tastes too strong, take a couple of bottles and cellar them. Store them upright in a cool, dark place for a year and you'll notice a different taste -- a little mellower, a little more complex. Cellaring is usually reserved for beers with an ABV of at least 8%. Bigfoot certainly qualifies.

cool, I'll probably do that.. Just getting one beer down was a task.. It tastes good, but not something I'd like to drink every day. It definately has a "bite" to it.

It's definately worth buying a 6'er to try it out..