Alex interview on his new Limelight guitar

HemiBeers

It's a sweet guitar. They're made by Godin, a Canadian builder who do really nice work. I like the pickup configuration, and the Vega bridge looks nice. I also like that it has a 12" fingerboard radius (like a Les Paul) and stainless steel frets. Overall, the specs are great.

If I were to nitpick, I'm not a fan of the control layout -- I'd like the volume knob closer to the pickup (like on a normal Strat) and the pickup switch might be too far away, but I'd have to try it.

They go for $3,999 USD. That's a lot of money for what is basically a modified Strat. Could you build your own for a lot less? Yeah, and lots of players have done it.

That said, Sweetwater sells them and are already sold out. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LERXSTALLCV--godin-lerxst-limelight-alex-lifeson-signature-electric-guitar-limelight-cream-with-vega-tremolo

• Like 1

not sure I agree with alex about the pickup switch on the horn. I prefer "pinky" switching close to the bridge. but what alex wants, alex gets.

15 hours ago, HemiBeers said:

not sure I agree with alex about the pickup switch on the horn. I prefer "pinky" switching close to the bridge. but what alex wants, alex gets.

The whole guitar, including the control layout, is modeled after the original Hentor Sportscaster. I don't like that switch location either, but guess Alex didn't want to change it from the original.

On 2/11/2024 at 12:33 PM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

It's a sweet guitar. They're made by Godin, a Canadian builder who do really nice work. I like the pickup configuration, and the Vega bridge looks nice. I also like that it has a 12" fingerboard radius (like a Les Paul) and stainless steel frets. Overall, the specs are great.

If I were to nitpick, I'm not a fan of the control layout -- I'd like the volume knob closer to the pickup (like on a normal Strat) and the pickup switch might be too far away, but I'd have to try it.

They go for $3,999 USD. That's a lot of money for what is basically a modified Strat. Could you build your own for a lot less? Yeah, and lots of players have done it.

That said, Sweetwater sells them and are already sold out. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LERXSTALLCV--godin-lerxst-limelight-alex-lifeson-signature-electric-guitar-limelight-cream-with-vega-tremolo

$4K for a Strat is PRS/Suhr like money.  PRS doesn't even charge that much for a Silver Sky.  Godin are really reaching far for this one.  

That's gonna be a hard pass from me, dawg.

Thought I'd pitch in my two cents. I built a copy of the red strat with Hentor specs a few years ago. Body and neck unfinished including having a luthier cut out the horn cavity ran me probably close to $1000. To add to that, thanks to Warmoth and their options, I was able to get a full floyd rose mount and get a EVH neck profile, LSR nut cut, and a allen screw adjuster for the truss rod near the neck pocket. Essentially, I get the specs I wanted while remaining faithful to the original guitar sonically. I think if you're gonna spend THAT kind of money on a guitar, don't waste it on something you can easily put together yourself for so much less. As much as I'd love to have one, when I heard the price I was turned off to it.