RIP Cale Yarborough, 1939-2023

pjbear05

NASCAR stock car driver Cale Yarborough passes away at 84 "after a long illness".  Cale is best known for his fist fight with driver Donnie Allison after the finish of the 1979 Daytona 500.  The fight, a postscript to CBS' first "flag to flag" live broadcast of an automobile race, cemented its niche in sports media. RIP Cale.

https://www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/cale-yarborough-nascar-legend-and-hall-of-famer-dies-at-84/ 

Edited by pjbear05
Wrong name
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pjbear05 said:

Cale is best known for his fist fight with driver Bobby Allison after the finish of the 1979 Daytona 500.  

Just watched that a couple of weeks ago

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, goose said:

Just watched that a couple of weeks ago

Bwahaha, Ken Squier announcing some commentary about the end of the race when the video changes to Donnie and Cale duking it out:  "...AND THERE'S A FIGHT!...".  Classic.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

Boy, am an I an idiot.  Just edited my two posts to correct them.  Cale got into the fight with Donnie Allison.  Bobby joined in later to help his brother out.  Jeez, I must be getting old!

• Haha 1

I just read an article in Jalopnik about his win at the Daytona 500 in '83. He wrecked his car during qualifying while setting a speed record of over 200 mph. He won the race in a borrowed display car with his engine in it. I remember watching the whole thing. Wild.

• Like 1