Apologies for heretical content

JARG

Some of them burned on our ceilings  

46 members have voted

1. 1. If any of these albums had been my initial introduction to Rush, I probably would not have become a fan.

• RUSH
    • FLY BY NIGHT
    • CARESS OF STEEL
    • A FAREWELL TO KINGS
    • HEMISPHERES
    • PERMANENT WAVES
    • MOVING PICTURES
    • SIGNALS
    • GRACE UNDER PRESSURE
    • POWER WINDOWS
    • HOLD YOUR FIRE
    • PRESTO
    • ROLL THE BONES
    • COUNTERPARTS
    • TEST FOR ECHO
    • VAPOR TRAILS
    • SNAKES AND ARROWS
    • CLOCKWORK ANGELS

For me its clearly VT (no brainer - just a terrible album) but I would also have to pick CA.  That album is terrible at the start.  Then it picks up speed with Halo Effect.  After that there are a bunch of very good songs on the album.  In fact, other than BU2B2, there is hardly a bad song after Halo Effect.  But if I was not into Rush and just picked the album up cold I don't think I could have gotten far enough into the album to appreciate what was there starting with Halo Effect.

CoS has a lot of music I don't care for but it does have some very good songs.  The first time I heard the album I was really turned off so perhaps I could include it in my vote but I did not.  Feeling charitable tonight I guess.

I also considered voting for Presto.  When that came out I was not crazy about it and it took me decades to get it.  Now I really like it, but I think that negative reaction was more because I found it to be a let down after the greatness of HYF & Power Windows then a dislike of it.  So I won't vote for it.

Counterparts I considered as well.  When it came out I was disappointed by it and again it took me decades to get it.  Again, now I really like it  - more for the lyrics then the music.  But again, it followed an album I had liked (RTB - which has not aged well with me) so it was the change in producers and the change in their sound which negatively impacted me.  So in the end I did not vote for it.