What song on each Rush album best foreshadows the next one?

Entre_Perpetuo

Which song on each Rush album do you think best represents the direction Rush would go in on their next album? Here are my choices:

Rush - Before And After (a little dash of prog)

FBN - By-Tor And The Snow Dog (extended song structures and composed instrumental sections with conceptual lyrics)

CoS - Fountain Of Lamneth (side long song suites)

2112 - Tears (integrates melodic keyboards into the Rush sound)

AFTK - Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage (see Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres)

Hems - Circumstances (shorter punchier songs with more integrated synths and real world lyrics)

PeW - The Spirit Of Radio (fuller integration of synths and sequencers alongside other instruments plus new wave influences in a shorter package)

MP - Vital Signs (all that but more new wave, less prog, and much colder)

Signals - The Weapon (Part II Of Fear) (even darker and colder and introducing cold war type paranoia)

GuP - Between The Wheels (the totally 80s inspirational chorus with lyrics focused on people's struggle with powers beyond their control)

PoW - Emotion Detector (a more human lyrical direction with more emotive licks and melodies)

HYF - Tai Shan (experiments with the Rush sound that didn't really go over well)

Presto - Anagram (For Mongo) (experiments with wordplay in the lyrics that aren't as deep as they appear)

RTB - Ghost Of A Chance (a bit more rock and roll, plus lyrics about... love?!)

Counterparts - Between Sun And Moon or Speed Of Love (ah yes, why the sun? and more sub-par lyricism over dull instrumentals)

T4E - Driven (driving theme on the verge of a deep dark hole... eerily forbidding)

VT - ...nothing! I believe little from VT carried over to S&A, and I believe it's because Feedback provided inspiration instead

S&A - Far Cry (looking into Rush's golden period to recapture some of the old magic in a great new song)

CA - once again... nothing... except that The Garden sounds exactly like the end of the band, which is in fact what came next.

• Like 5

Everything on Signals points to the end of classic era Rush.

What did you think when you first heard New World Man?

Dunno about him, but I couldn't believe that THIS was Rush's highest charting song.

Life is weird.

• Like 1

Dunno about him, but I couldn't believe that THIS was Rush's highest charting song.

Life is weird.

I kept waiting for the heavy guitars to come in and for Geddy's voice to go up a couple of octaves!

• Like 2

If Turn The Page was the last song on HYF as it should've been instead of the weak sauce Tai Shan / High Water, it would have been a perfect way to reference the coming change in sound & direction on their next record
  • Like 1

Shock and dread
  • Like 1

Shock and dread

Zepphead, at the time did you think that GuP ( P/G ) upon its release was a little bit better than Signais ������... or even worse LOL

?

When for you did Rush ‘ return to form ‘ as it were.

Two very good questions ..... Firstly I thought GUP was as i expected a big change for Rush.

For me it was a complete break away from the Hard Rock/Prog Metal band I had grown up with.

Signals was OK for me, the musical change on GUP was a struggle.

I always kept a finger on the pulse of their career over the years but to be honest it was probablly Vapor Trails that fully ignited my passion again for the band.

Then I started looking back into those years I had turned away from and began to realise that some of the stuff from that period was pretty damn good!!

It was probably a ccmbination of a maturity in my musical tastes, but more importantly a testimony to the longevity of Rush's creativity.

One thnig I love about this forum is to see the differenrt opinions that the forum members have based on when they actually first started listening to the band.

Some like me are old dinosaurs who are hooked on the heavier side of Rush whereas some of the younger forum members got to know Rush at a later part of their career.

It's just nice that we can look at it from all our differing viewpoints.

The biggest question about GUP is why Rush decided to dress up as new wave binmen on the back cover!

• Like 2

Shock and dread

Zepphead, at the time did you think that GuP ( P/G ) upon its release was a little bit better than Signais ������... or even worse LOL

?

When for you did Rush ‘ return to form ‘ as it were.

Two very good questions ..... Firstly I thought GUP was as i expected a big change for Rush.

For me it was a complete break away from the Hard Rock/Prog Metal band I had grown up with.

Signals was OK for me, the musical change on GUP was a struggle.

I always kept a finger on the pulse of their career over the years but to be honest it was probablly Vapor Trails that fully ignited my passion again for the band.

Then I started looking back into those years I had turned away from and began to realise that some of the stuff from that period was pretty damn good!!

It was probably a ccmbination of a maturity in my musical tastes, but more importantly a testimony to the longevity of Rush's creativity.

One thnig I love about this forum is to see the differenrt opinions that the forum members have based on when they actually first started listening to the band.

Some like me are old dinosaurs who are hooked on the heavier side of Rush whereas some of the younger forum members got to know Rush at a later part of their career.

It's just nice that we can look at it from all our differing viewpoints.

The biggest question about GUP is why Rush decided to dress up as new wave binmen on the back cover!

:LMAO:
  • Like 2