Steve Vai

Rod in Toronto

Another topic with a shameless plug by yours truly... I love Steve Vai, and got the chance to interview him to promote his new album "Inviolate", which comes out this Friday. Check it out, and please comment on the video!

• Like 3

I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago, and I`m looking forward to it more than I am Joe`s (which wouldn`t have been the case decade ago). I think Steve`s variety lends a greater sense of anticipation for my money.
  • Like 2

I pre-ordered this a few weeks ago, and I`m looking forward to it more than I am Joe`s (which wouldn`t have been the case decade ago). I think Steve`s variety lends a greater sense of anticipation for my money.

Funny you should say that. I love both, and career-wise, I prefer Vai. But when it comes to their new albums, Satriani's is miles better. Both are good though.

• Like 1

Funny you should say that. I love both, and career-wise, I prefer Vai. But when it comes to their new albums, Satriani's is miles better. Both are good though.

I`m certainly glad that you`re liking Joe`s record. I`m not going to it listen beforehand as I still like the thrill of a new record on its release, but everything after Unstoppable Momentum has sounded a bit samey to me (which is hard to avoid in a 35 year career, I guess).

Great job on the interviews though. I don`t know what I`d ask either of them, but I dread to think how many hours I`ve spent listening to them both since 1987!

• Like 1

Thanks man! I kind of developed a formula for these interviews, and pretty much can come up with about 20 questions for the artists on the night before the interview. But I think you can tell I was a bit nervous when talking to Vai, and loosened up as the interview went along.
  • Like 1

Thanks man! I kind of developed a formula for these interviews, and pretty much can come up with about 20 questions for the artists on the night before the interview. But I think you can tell I was a bit nervous when talking to Vai, and loosened up as the interview went along.

Steve seemed very happy to just keep talking without much prompting, so that probably helps, right? Like he`s just as enthusiastic now as ever, which is always something I want to feel about my heroes that are still around, still making music. I don`t know about that Hydra though... bit of an aesthetic leap to that from the three-necked guitar of his DLR days.
  • Like 1

Yeah, he was happy to talk. Actually, when we reach the 25 minute mark more or less, I asked him "how much time do we have left?". And he said "well, I talked a lot, and I know you probably have a million questions you didn't ask, so fire away". And we stayed a bit longer than we were allowed. He and Satriani were VERY cool in the interviews. And the one I did with Eric Gales is coming out this week as well. He was amazing.
  • Like 2