• The Who Sell Out (1967)
    • Tommy (1969)
    • Who's Next (1971)
    • Quadrophenia (1973)
    • The Who By Numbers (1975)
  3. 3. Which album is worse?

• (The Who Sings) My Generation (1965)
    • Who Are You (1978)

(The Who Sings) My Generation and Who Are You have been eliminated.

12. Endless Wire (2006)

11. WHO (2019)

10. It's Hard (1982)

9. Face Dances (1981)

8. A Quick One (1966)

7. ???

6. ???

This could potentially be the last round for immunity.

Tommy is much overrated, imo.

That's the album that got me hooked on the band.

My next-door neighbor bought it the day it was released and we listened to it start to finish. Very impressive to me at the time ( 14 y.o. ).

My next-door neighbor bought it the day it was released and we listened to it start to finish. Very impressive to me at the time ( 14 y.o. ).

As a kid I thought it was cool. As an adult a rock opera built around the abuses suffered by a deaf, dumb and blind pinball savant just doesn't resonate.

As a kid I thought it was cool. As an adult a rock opera built around the abuses suffered by a deaf, dumb and blind pinball savant just doesn't resonate.

I have always thought that pinball is a pop culture reference that is standing in for rock music. For playing the guitar. In that sense, I feel that Townshend is writing, in a very veiled way, about himself. He is the deaf, mute and blind person who finds the one thing that he's good at, and through that discovers himself spiritually, gains fame, and also experiences the limits and fickle nature of being a "voice" for the people. Tommy's obsession with the mirror - the only thing he can see in his "blindness" - is, to me, anyway, a strong metaphor for the experience of youth, particularly in the moment he was writing about...essentially the birth of the teenager.

I say this because - and of course we're all entitled to our opinion! - to me Tommy is not un-relatable and doesn't lack resonance at all...it's just that the resonance exists under the metaphor of the plot itself.

• Like 1

I had to vote Who Sell Out off, which breaks my heart, because there is nothing like it, and it is amazing. But all the albums left are amazing...and the closest runner up for me, Who By Numbers, is a hidden gem - the non-epic album that gets overlooked in the catalogue. Because the kinda dumb Squeezebox is on it, the cooler tunes get short shrift. When I saw The Who a couple years ago, they did Imagine A Man from the record, which was a lovely, deep cut treat. But Who Sell Out is hard to give the chop to - it's funny, inventive and full of cool tunes.