1981 - The YEAR - Which album is your selection from this group?

treeduck

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite 1981 album from this selection?

• Triumph - Allied Forces
    • Y&T - Earthshaker
    • Kiss - Music From The Elder
    • AC/DC - For Those About to Rock We Salute You
    • Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
    • Van Halen - Fair Warning
    • Black Sabbath - Mob Rules
    • Accept - Breaker
    • Judas Priest - Point of Entry
    • Iron Maiden - Killers
    • Thin Lizzy - Renegade
    • Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin
    • Rainbow - Difficult to Cure
    • King Crimson - Discipline
    • Budgie - Nightflight
    • ZZ Top - El Loco
    • Journey - Escape
    • Saxon - Denim and Leather
    • Def Leppard - High 'n' Dry
    • UFO - The Wild, The Willing and the Innocent
    • The Michael Schenker Group - MSG
    • Blackfoot - Marauder
    • Tygers of Pan Tang - Spellbound
    • Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love
    • Sammy Hagar - Standing Hampton
    • Foreigner - 4
    • Whitesnake - Come an' Get It
    • The Dregs - Unsung Heroes
    • Styx - Paradise Theatre
    • Electric Sun - Fire Wind
    • Genesis - Abacab
    • Survivor - Premonition
    • Krokus - Hardware
    • The Police - Ghost in the Machine
    • Joseph Perry's solo album from 1981 that THE CAT wants in this poll, I can't remember the name!

Krimson. (though I would choose Moving Pictures in a heatbeat.)

Fair Warning was awesome though too. I suppose my answer would depend on my mood. Allied Forces was stellar. Madien hadn't quite peaked for me yet. Actually, if you asked me in 1981, I might have said Journey Escape. But by the end of 81, it was all Rush, all decade.

Let me just explain, this is a RUSH forum so obviously RUSH will win any polls against other bands 99% of the time. There's no point in making a poll when you know who's going to win before you start is there? Same thing in the 1982 thread.

I actually wouldn't. '81 is probably Rush's best chance (or '80), but MP would not top Fair Warning.

For me....Moving Pictures blows by Fair Warning. And Fair Warning is my favorite Van Halen album!!!! Moving Pictures is #3 for me from Rush.....but still is a better album front to back....all day for me.

Both are amazing records. And totally different.

Probably matters how you feel about each band. I like DLR VH more than Rush. MP is probably my favorite Rush album, but The Camera Eye and Vital Signs are both songs that I like but don't love. There is, literally, not one note on Fair Warning I don't love. The whole vibe of FW is perfect.

Yeah, absolutely. For me Rush >> VH Though I do love VH. VH is a top 20 band for me, Rush is at the top of the list.

Krimson is also a top 5 band for me; thus, I selected Discipline (probably my 4th or 5th Favorite album by them) over Fair Warning (probably my 3rd or 4th fav VH.)

I didn't pick one here... '81 was such a rich year for albums. Not mentioned here was also ELO's Time, and the Heavy Metal soundtrack. I'll even include Moody Blues this year, maybe their last good release. 1981 was aan excellent year to be 15 and just getting into collecting music.

Oh, yeah. And the Scorps!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: rating.

There was no Scorpions album out in 1981!

Yeah, they had an album for '82... am I beginning to forget shit? Dammit. And I realize I can't forget Judas... the '80's were rich for them.

• Like 1

I didn't pick one here... '81 was such a rich year for albums. Not mentioned here was also ELO's Time, and the Heavy Metal soundtrack. I'll even include Moody Blues this year, maybe their last good release. 1981 was aan excellent year to be 15 and just getting into collecting music.

Oh, yeah. And the Scorps!

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: rating.

There was no Scorpions album out in 1981!

Yeah, they had an album for '82... am I beginning to forget shit? Dammit. And I realize I can't forget Judas... the '80's were rich for them.

Yeah it was 79, 80, 82.

I was doing the 1990 poll and I could swear that Stevie Ray Vaughan's In Step album was 1990 but no it was 1989. So I'm beginning to forget shit too. :smoke:

• Like 1

It was tough choice, a bloody battle for supremacy, but in the end it went to Diary of a Madman.

This poll came down to a neck and neck battle between Diary of a Madman and Fair Warning for me. What settled it was the fact that Fair Warning starts to taper off a little bit at the end with Sunday Afternoon in the Park and One Foot Out the Door. Those tracks are ok and a nice little ending to the record but not as great as the rest of the album, Diary of Madman is fantastic from start to finish, even the ballad is solid.

Other contenders were Triumph, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Maiden and Priest.

Man...good year here.

But I went with Journey Escape. Too many amazing classics to pass this album up. Journey’s pinnacle.

I think it's a great album, it's a tough year though, there's so many great albums to consider before you even think of Escape.

So for me 1981 is like this:

1. Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman

2. Van Halen - Fair Warning

3. Black Sabbath - Mob Rules

4. Triumph - Allied Forces

5. Kiss - Music From the Elder

6. Judas Priest - Point of Entry

7. Thin Lizzy - Renegade

8. Iron Maiden - Killers

9. Def Leppard - High 'n' Dry

10. Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin

11. Journey - Escape

12. AC/DC - For Those About to Rock

13. Rainbow - Difficult to Cure

14. Accept - Breaker

15. Y&T - Earthshaker

It's a tough year because I love all these albums.