Your first indispensible band

Oh I was dumb, I thought you meant first band we loved.the first indispensible band would likely be, not a band, but one man: Miles Davis. Add also all time great artists like Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Elvis Presley and many more...also a massive shout out to bands like The Beatles, The Kinks, The Beach Boys.

But honestly, I'd take Miles Davis and his affiliated legends of the era over most of these.

Anyone who thinks The Beatles are the first indispensible band really need to open their minds.

It says your first indispensable band.

What is the earliest rock music that you cannot do without?

This is what I mean: rock music existed in the 50s, and was important for what was to come later, but personally, I find it boring and I don't ever want to hear any of it.

But something happened in 1964. I can live without rock music before then, but I cannot imagine life without being able to listen to The Beatles.

It was The Beatles beginning on February 8, 1964 and it's The Beatles to this day.

Oh I was dumb, I thought you meant first band we loved.the first indispensible band would likely be, not a band, but one man: Miles Davis. Add also all time great artists like Buddy Holly, Little Richard, Elvis Presley and many more...also a massive shout out to bands like The Beatles, The Kinks, The Beach Boys.

But honestly, I'd take Miles Davis and his affiliated legends of the era over most of these.

Anyone who thinks The Beatles are the first indispensible band really need to open their minds.

It says your first indispensable band.

The OP specifically says “What is the earliest rock music that you cannot do without?”

Sure, I could go back to the 1930s and say that none of the early rock music (pre-Beatles...Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, et. al) would have happened without Robert Johnson. Indispensable, for sure.