World Serious '05

anagramking

QUOTE (anagramking @ Oct 31 2005, 05:26 PM)
Another problem is the long term viability of Canadian franchises.  With the tax structures up there, teams cannot compete with American franchises.  The first team to escape the burden was the Jets/Coyotes.  Who is next?  (Somebody correct me if this problem has been rectified.)

Actually, The Nordiques left Quebec and became the Colorado Avalanche before the Jets left. Since the Jets left, I get the sense, but don't have any examples, that Canada has done much to ensure no more NHL teams leave. Don't know about the tax structure issue.

I'm not too keen on shootouts, either.  The 20 minute OT's in the playoffs are something that should never be eliminated.  (Correct me if that part remains.)

I think I heard the 20 minute OT rule is still in place for the playoffs. I don't think a playoff game should be decided by shootout either. I remember when the '94 Olympic Gold Medal Game was determined by a shootout, with Sweden beating Canada by one shot. Many fans were disappointed, not by the result, but because it was determined by a one on one competition rather than the entire team.

But leaving a regular season game tied apparently frustrated many fans and I guess I don't blame them. This is a professional sport, not Tic Tac Toe. But at the same time, having the game suffer the same issue that can happen with baseball games in extra innings, notably the sense of futility, was not acceptable to the NHL either. Hence the shootout solution.

btw, how in the world did a thread about the World Series find itself discussing hockey? don't we already have a thread for that?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Nov 1 2005, 04:18 AM)
Another problem is the long term viability of Canadian franchises.  With the tax structures up there, teams cannot compete with American franchises.  The first team to escape the burden was the Jets/Coyotes.  Who is next?  (Somebody correct me if this problem has been rectified.)

Actually, The Nordiques left Quebec and became the Colorado Avalanche before the Jets left. Since the Jets left, I get the sense, but don't have any examples, that Canada has done much to ensure no more NHL teams leave. Don't know about the tax structure issue.

doh.gif I forgot about that.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 1 2005, 04:35 PM)
there just seems to me something fundamentally wrong with a sport where games are allowed to end in a tie - YIKES! rage.gif

imagine if the game went on forever...people would still be there yes.gif there is something fundamently wrong with THAT

QUOTE (daveyt @ Nov 1 2005, 05:12 PM)
there just seems to me something fundamentally wrong with a sport where games are allowed to end in a tie - YIKES!  rage.gif

imagine if the game went on forever...people would still be there yes.gif there is something fundamently wrong with THAT

If the traditions allow for ties, that's fine. Baseball and basketball do not have ties inherent in their long traditions.

QUOTE (daveyt @ Nov 1 2005, 02:12 PM)
there just seems to me something fundamentally wrong with a sport where games are allowed to end in a tie - YIKES!  rage.gif

that's true. maybe the whole sport should just be eliminated altogether? confused13.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (anagramking @ Nov 2 2005, 01:17 AM)

If the traditions allow for ties, that's fine. Baseball and basketball do not have ties inherent in their long traditions.

Of course, all this is moot now...with the introduction of the shootout this season, ties have been eliminated in the NHL.

I'm not too keen on shootouts, either.  The 20 minute OT's in the playoffs are something that should never be eliminated.  (Correct me if that part remains.)

I think I heard the 20 minute OT rule is still in place for the playoffs.

Yes, that is correct. They'll keep playing normal OT periods until a goal is scored.

btw, how in the world did a thread about the World Series find itself discussing hockey? don't we already have a thread for that?

Maybe I'll take these hockey posts and put them into a hockey thread later.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Nov 2 2005, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (anagramking @ Nov 2 2005, 01:17 AM)

Of course, all this is moot now...with the introduction of the shootout this season, ties have been eliminated in the NHL.

I'm glad that rule was created. It made no sense to me how sporting events could end in ties when the whole point is to win.

Archived