40 years ago Judas Priest released KILLING MACHINE (aka Hell Bent For Leather)

treeduck

My fave Priest album ever. And that's saying something when considering the quality of their back catalogue.

And who in England could ever forget their Top Of The Pops performance of Take On The World? Legendary TV.

Was Take On The World a hit in the UK? I find it odd that it wasn't one here. So catchy and fun to sing along with.

Yeah it was their first chart hit in the UK reaching #14.

Strangely The Human League did a cover version in 1980.

Interesting that Accept is brought up .. I do like them, but when talking about them not being huge here in The States .- so the German band loses their singer, and what do they do - they get an American guy ...

So the USA is just Party Rock ??

Don;t get me wrong, I love JP ... but in the same year we had Nuclear Assault debut - successfully - and a bunch of other hardcore/metal/thrash bands, this is what the big tough Brits were doing

maxresdefault.jpg

On a more serious note:

One thing that cannot be denied as far as bands originating in the USA - more specifically, LA - the shit movie capitol of the world influence ... The whole Hollywood metal scene sort of watered down and unfairly defined metal from the USA ...

And I suppose that in hindsight, there's even more resentment and dislike for that crop of bands because it seemed to have, at one point or another, rubbed off on some of the heavier, international bands ... Celtic Frost, for example ...

Hey, I don;t care .. I love Cold Lake ....... but the point here is that whether it's Nuclear Assault ( who I love ) or Poison, each has an image

I don't hate Cold Lake but its not the sound or style that made Celtic Frost stand out or special. It is the sound of blending in, and for that reason I strongly despise them for it, even if the album itself is fine. It just isn't Celtic Frost at their purest.

last really heavy record before the party era begins on british steel

What about Grinder and Steeler and The Rage and Rapid Fire and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise? And Metal Gods??

Electric Eye, Riding On The Wind, Screaming For Vengeance, Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, Ram It Down.

It may have been Priests party era but there is still plenty of metal there.

Remember, This is Bathory's OPINION. I myself never saw a 'party' era in Priest's existence, gaining in POPULARITY sure, but the Music remained HARD, CONSISTENT, and EXCELLENT!

JGJEdLh.jpg

• Like 1

last really heavy record before the party era begins on british steel

What about Grinder and Steeler and The Rage and Rapid Fire and You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise? And Metal Gods??

Electric Eye, Riding On The Wind, Screaming For Vengeance, Freewheel Burning, The Sentinel, Ram It Down.

It may have been Priests party era but there is still plenty of metal there.

again, stack all those songs next to exciter, victim of changes, tyrant, green manalishi...

riding on the wind and freewheel burning are the definition of priest's beer-drinkin' and cruisin' music

I think that's the American view of Priest, a place where metal audiences are dwindling. In Europe where metal strongholds are solid, Priest are not viewed as a cruisin' beer-swilling party band.

I'm talking about musical styles, not how the band is viewed.

is turbo heavier than sad wings of destiny?

That's an extreme example.

And if you're talking about styles is beer drinking, cruising, party a style? Not in my estimation and I've never heard anyone describe Priest as that.

AC/DC, van halen, etc. fun music that gets played in bars and on the radio

Over here we don't call them that, they're hard rock or rock or heavy metal. A party band in Europe is Bananarama.

I guess it's just me that gets the party vibe from songs like take your whiskey home and have a drink on me

THAT'S THE POINT! We don't all think the same on this planet. Maybe somewhere aliens DO. I DON'T CARE ABOUT ALIENS! HKDUvUd.gif Here on earth, not even TWINS have the same experience in life. For Whatevere reason, Bathory, you favor Accept. I favor MUSIC! Accept, to me is what the poster a few posts ago said. The had a top hit 35 years ago, and did not make as big a 'splash' as in Europe. A lot of Americans don't appreciate them as much, obviously! I happen to like them, their music and such, but I suspect not a lot of 'Yanks' do....BTW, are you from ATLANTA?

yTnN6ko.jpg