Help Me! Who Is The Better Jazz Fusion Guitarist? Al Di? John McLaughlin? Or "Paco de Lucia??????

RUSHHEAD666

The Best Jazz Fusion Guitarist? HELP ME!  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best jazz fusion guitar player on the planet based on the following three?

• Al Di Meola
    • John McLaughlin
    • Paco de Lucia

I am watching a 1987 DVD called JOHN AND PACO.

It's mind-blowing.

John is simply a BIRD OF FIRE! DUH

Paco is simply out of this world.

Big Al who isn't on this disc but is with them in San Francisco on some rare Friday night is also up there.

I can't take it.

Perhaps a three way tie?

I've always been an Al guy but John simply could be better.

I don't know.

Hence this poll to sort things out........

• Like 2

I'd say all Three playing together are the best :yay:

From what I've heard, Paco is more of a flamenco guy, rather than a fusion player, even though he is beyond amazing at what he does.

McLaughlin might be a touch better than Al, but I find I need to be in the right frame of mind to listen to McLaughlin's brand of playing, where Al feels right for me any time of day or night.

In other words...I can't decide, except back to my opening line: All three!

I'm going to get either my ears or tail pulled, or taken to the v-e-t for shots, or a spanking, but I've never heard of either of them....! :o

:scared:

Here, Bbyatca...check this out

I'm going to get either my ears or tail pulled, or taken to the v-e-t for shots, or a spanking, but I've never heard of either of them....! :o

Here, Bbyatca...check this out

"This plug-in is not supported." :(

It's a matter of personal preference because once you get to the point of being as accomplished as any of these guys, it's about what moves you ..

Al separated himself for me because of his songwriting and his ballsy Les Paul sound and attack - which is a totally different animal than Paco and his flamenco style ( which I love too )

I'd put John in there with Larry Coryell - both great, but not on the same plane as Al

Lee Ritenour is nowhere near this discussion IMHO

Pat Metheny is a dark horse - amazing player, and he does not fit into any mold

The more traditional guys like Tal Farlow and Wes Montgomery are guys that are great too -

• Like 2

And to think I just gave you a new "KILLER" nickname in the Iron Maiden Thread!! Wow "Maybe Cat." What am I going to do with you?

Such a bad kitty.

Gotta go with Al

Tick! It's close between Al and John but yes, AL IS THE KING!!! I met him a couple of years ago in a meet and greet. I was the first one in line with the EX. When I came up to him I said... "Al, you blow Alex Lifeson away!!!!!!" He looked at me and smiled and said out loud, "Wow! This meet and greet is really getting off to a great start!" Classic!! Of course Alex and Al are both in my top 5!

• Like 2

Hey Baby Cat! Can you swim??? I know cats hate the water!! LOL!

I saw this cat once fall into a swimming pool and it was like the feline could walk on water. I've never seen a cat get out of a pool so frigging fast!!!!

Mike Stern beats them all to a pulp, and eats all of their breakfasts. Lunches, too.

I saw Mike Stern with Victor Wooten and Dennis Chambers. Jesus dude, Mike put me to sleep. I do not agree at all. He's a great player but his tone sucks ass. He sounds like John Myung on bass. TURN THAT SHIT UP I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!

Wes Montgomery, Grant Green and George Benson blow STERN AWAY!!!!

• Like 2

It's a matter of personal preference because once you get to the point of being as accomplished as any of these guys, it's about what moves you ..

Al separated himself for me because of his songwriting and his ballsy Les Paul sound and attack - which is a totally different animal than Paco and his flamenco style ( which I love too )

I'd put John in there with Larry Coryell - both great, but not on the same plane as Al

Lee Ritenour is nowhere near this discussion IMHO

Pat Metheny is a dark horse - amazing player, and he does not fit into any mold

The more traditional guys like Tal Farlow and Wes Montgomery are guys that are great too -

Excellent post as usual.

• Like 2

The best fusion guitarist in the world is a man called EARL RAMER! And he doesn't even know it yet! His guitar career has yet to begin and yet he's the best that ever lived! That's how good he is!

HAHAHAHA! We are connected to the Universe Pat. I was playing my Ovation guitar last night for about an hour. Sheesh, I suck but man it's fun to just fuckk around!

The best fusion guitarist in the world is a man called EARL RAMER! And he doesn't even know it yet! His guitar career has yet to begin and yet he's the best that ever lived! That's how good he is!

HAHAHAHA! We are connected to the Universe Pat. I was playing my Ovation guitar last night for about an hour. Sheesh, I suck but man it's fun to just fuckk around!

Aye! What you need to buy next is a Casio keyboard!

I voted john m

If for nothing else because mahavisnu got me into the genre in high school. That and stanley clarke school days started me off. Without them who knows coukd have been years before i discovered fusion