Star Trek original series character vs the alternate universe reboot crew

JohnnyBlaze

Which Star Trek original series character would you like the reboot crew to face?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which Star Trek original series character would you most like the reboot crew to face?

• Apollo
    • Gary Mitchell
    • Harry Mudd
    • The Gorn
    • Lord Garth
    • The Liberace-looking squire guy that many say is a Q
    • The butthead-shaped Menagerie illusionists
    • The Telly Savalas gangster
    • The Mirror Mirror crew
    • ((Other))

...ends with the Enterprise crashing into San Francisco.

That wasn't the Enterprise. The Enterprise (barely) survived Into Darkness.

Both Kirks had their Enterprises beat to hell in their second movie. Both Kirks lost their Enterprises in their third movie. Of all the complaints I see about the new Trek movies, I don't understand the complaint that the Enterprise keeps getting destroyed. It just doesn't. The alternate reality Enterprises have been destroyed at about the same pace as the prime reality ones.

The Wrath of Kahn, The Search for Spock, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis, Trek'09, Into Darkness and Beyond have all ended with either a destroyed, or severely damaged Enterprise.

If anyone has a bad record with getting Enterprises beat up in movies... it's Picard.

Edited by KenJennings

Both Kirks had their Enterprises beat to hell in their second movie. Both Kirks lost their Enterprises in their third movie. Of all the complaints I see about the new Trek movies, I don't understand the complaint that the Enterprise keeps getting destroyed. It just doesn't. The alternate reality Enterprises have been destroyed at about the same pace as the prime reality ones.

The Wrath of Kahn, The Search for Spock, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis, Trek'09, Into Darkness and Beyond have all ended with either a destroyed, or severely damaged Enterprise.

If anyone has a bad record with getting Enterprises beat up in movies... it's Picard.

Whoops my bad. I was falling asleep by the end of Into Darkness.

Oh god movie Picard was a psychopath. In the series he was the calm, calculating diplomat who despite becoming locutus felt sympathy for a drone. Suddenly in First Contact he's the Terminator of Starfleet that shows no mercy.

Whoops my bad. I was falling asleep by the end of Into Darkness.

Oh god movie Picard was a psychopath. In the series he was the calm, calculating diplomat who despite becoming locutus felt sympathy for a drone. Suddenly in First Contact he's the Terminator of Starfleet that shows no mercy.

Well, First Contact is the summation of his character arc with the Borg. Being a out of character as he is makes sense, as the Borg are literally the only thing that ever broke Picard. Even in I, Borg, Picard was strongly out of character until the point that Hugh referred to himself as an individual, and that wasn't near the kind of trauma First Contact presented, as he watched his ship be consumed from the inside out by the same white whale the psychologically scarred him.

Insurrection Picard is affected by the radiation of the Baku planet, embracing his youthful rebelliousness; but I would actually argue that this is the truest version of Picard we saw in any of the movies. His impassioned defense of right vs wrong, even in the face of direct orders harkens back to the Picard of early-mid TNG that was so passionate about morality.

Then Nemesis was just a mess. May as well just strike that whole movie from the record.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

A remake of the "Mirror, Mirror" episode could totally work as a two-hour film if done right. It would give the new cast a chance to play dual roles, the script would have more time to allow tension and suspicion to build on the empire ship, and they could fill in gaps like how Spock deduced so quickly that the returning landing party needed to be detained and also how he knew exactly when the good guys were beaming back (and how the empire crew was returned). Plus they could cast a new Marlena. ;) But I'm guessing Zach Quinto wouldn't look quite as menacing with a goatee as Nimoy.