SYMPHONY X To Begin Recording New Album This Week

treeduck

Great album! I've listened three times so far and I really love it. Russell is doing some vocal tricks (both heavier and lighter) that I've never heard him do before.

Musically, it doesn't sound exactly like Iconoclast and it doesn't sound exactly like old Symphony X...it's semi-new territory with a mix of everything. Musically there's a lot of prog, but structurally very little - kind of like 80's/90's Rush.

• Like 1

A good album.Solid material.Not as heavy as their last release,but still with that traditional Symphony X sound! Russell Allen once again shines on the album! Tremendous range of vocals.
  • Like 2

Two songs left and I think this is the album of the year!

Russell Allen's performance is amazing and the fantastic production allows him to emerge strong and clear amid the Romeo riffarama!

Ok so I'd say this is the album of the year so far and on a first listen! The production is fabulous! Everything is powerful but crystal clear. Every element in the soundscape has clarity; vocals soar, guitar solos sing, keyboard solos ring, guitar riffs roar, the drums are sharp, the bass throbs and hums. The songs are great with lots of variety. It's epic!

:haz:

• Like 3

Ok so I'd say this is the album of the year so far and on a first listen! The production is fabulous! Everything is powerful but crystal clear. Every element in the soundscape has clarity; vocals soar, guitar solos sing, keyboard solos ring, guitar riffs roar, the drums are sharp, the bass throbs and hums. The songs are great with lots of variety. It's epic!

It's good in it?!

• Like 1

It's good in it?!

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

• Like 2

I haven't picked up my copy yet but I'm going to soon. Glad to hear that it's so good.

:musicnote: :musicnote: :musicnote: Your STRINGS ring HOLLOW!!! :musicnote: :musicnote: :musicnote:

This album is FANTASTIC. These guys have become a fav prog/metal band for me on recommendation from this forum. I pretty much enjoy everything they've done. I can't point to favorites from this album yet. to early.

but i enjoy the hell out of it so far.

Mick

• Like 2

I've listened to Underworld a number of times now, and I'm really liking it.

I really like Iconoclast too, and I think with this one they kept the focus on delivering hook-laden choruses, but eased up on the heaviness a bit and allowed the keys to assume prominent roles more often. I'd say they did very well with the approach.

One of the most impressive things about the record for me is that I can look at the track list and find that every single song pops to mind at once. Usually with Symphony X albums there's a tune or two that fail to stick with me no matter how many times I hear them. All of Underworld's tracks have already proven memorable. And most of them are really good.

Charon is my favorite, and the stretch from Charon through Run with the Devil is my favorite part of the album. To Hell and Back is a great epic with a number of memorable parts, while In My Darkest Hour takes care of business very quickly with its catchy chorus.

My two least-favorite tracks happen to be the heaviest ones. Kiss of Fire is too melodramatic with its flaming fists of malice. And with the title track, it's almost like Russell was trying to find his death-metal side, and when the song becomes melodic, it doesn't quite become melodic enough for me. I still like both tunes though.

I'm not sure yet where the album places in my Symphony X record rankings yet. It'll come down to whether or not the hooks retain their appeal and how many of the tracks end up being among my all-time favorites by the band. But it's a good album, and I've definitely been enjoying it.

• Like 2

I've listened to Underworld a number of times now, and I'm really liking it.

I really like Iconoclast too, and I think with this one they kept the focus on delivering hook-laden choruses, but eased up on the heaviness a bit and allowed the keys to assume prominent roles more often. I'd say they did very well with the approach.

One of the most impressive things about the record for me is that I can look at the track list and find that every single song pops to mind at once. Usually with Symphony X albums there's a tune or two that fail to stick with me no matter how many times I hear them. All of Underworld's tracks have already proven memorable. And most of them are really good.

Charon is my favorite, and the stretch from Charon through Run with the Devil is my favorite part of the album. To Hell and Back is a great epic with a number of memorable parts, while In My Darkest Hour takes care of business very quickly with its catchy chorus.

My two least-favorite tracks happen to be the heaviest ones. Kiss of Fire is too melodramatic with its flaming fists of malice. And with the title track, it's almost like Russell was trying to find his death-metal side, and when the song becomes melodic, it doesn't quite become melodic enough for me. I still like both tunes though.

I'm not sure yet where the album places in my Symphony X record rankings yet. It'll come down to whether or not the hooks retain their appeal and how many of the tracks end up being among my all-time favorites by the band. But it's a good album, and I've definitely been enjoying it.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

:givebeer: :cheers:

• Like 1

Finally heard the new album in full last week...and what a great album it is! I was kinda worried because I didn´t like the first single. Quite frankly, after a while their recent songs before this release became too "hard". The melodies just weren´t catchy enough to peek my interest and to give the songs a second listen . Kinda like Pantera with keyboards. But the new album kicks a$$!!! My favourite songs are Charon, Run With the Devil and To Hell and Back.
  • Like 1

Finally heard the new album in full last week...and what a great album it is! I was kinda worried because I didn´t like the first single. Quite frankly, after a while their recent songs before this release became too "hard". The melodies just weren´t catchy enough to peek my interest and to give the songs a second listen . Kinda like Pantera with keyboards. But the new album kicks a$$!!! My favourite songs are Charon, Run With the Devil and To Hell and Back.

The album does kick ass, and I agree on the highlights.

I had a different experience with Iconoclast, though. I thought it had plenty of catchy choruses even though it was heavy on the whole.

• Like 1

The album does kick ass, and I agree on the highlights.

I had a different experience with Iconoclast, though. I thought it had plenty of catchy choruses even though it was heavy on the whole.

Aye. :hail:

• Like 1