Hating Neil Vs. Just Making Fun Of The Guy

ThatLightInYourEyes

Geddy singing while sick? Are you kidding me? Years ago he would have been mortified and it never would have made the light of day for sale.

Geddy has said that they are very much "the show must go on" type of band. On one tour, he even played while he had an ear infection, so he's probably proud of singing while sick.

Show must go on? Yes. Show must be released at a premium price to the buying public...um...not sure he said that...

Show must go on? Yes. Show must be released at a premium price to the buying public...um...not sure he said that...

Well, they sold 2 million copies of the Time Machine DVD, so it's hard to fault Rush for their decision to release that concert footage.

• Like 1

Well, they sold 2 million copies of the Time Machine DVD, so it's hard to fault Rush for their decision to release that concert footage.

You're very logical. As long as the public consumes it then it means it was worthwhile. I cannot wait for Transformers 5.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

You're very logical. As long as the public consumes it then it means it was worthwhile. I cannot wait for Transformers 5.

No, I think Rush is worthwhile for lots of reasons not pertaining to the next Transformers movie.

Rush also got their big break in Cleveland, so they probably have an emotional attachment to the place and really wanted to release that concert, croaky voice and all.

No, I think Rush is worthwhile for lots of reasons not pertaining to the next Transformers movie.

What?

• Like 1

What?

Yeah, what is the connection between Rush and Transformers 5? There is none that I can see. Other than making lots of money.

• Like 1

Geddy has said that they are very much "the show must go on" type of band. On one tour, he even played while he had an ear infection, so he's probably proud of singing while sick.

What?

Yeah, what is the connection between Rush and Transformers 5? There is none that I can see. Other than making lots of money.

Rush are consumate professionals and that's why they believe in the "show must go on" for fans who paid money to see them. But that doesn't mean they have to mass produce and market a poor sounding product to thousands of fans. That's not professional, that's disingenuous and compromising listeners' experience for $$. They aren't such perfectionists anymore and that is a quality that once endeared them to fans.

As for your last comment: Yeah, what is the connection between Rush and Transformers 5? There is none that I can see. Other than making lots of money.

I think you answered your own question. Its releasing a subpar product knowing that fans will buy it based on earlier success. Good work isn't measurable by Box Office numbers. Shame on me for giving in and putting up with it because of the huge impact they made on me in my earlier years.

Edited by anchorman

What?

Rush are consumate professionals and that's why they believe in the "show must go on" for fans who paid money to see them. But that doesn't mean they have to mass produce and market a poor sounding product to thousands of fans. That's not professional, that's disingenuous and compromising listeners' experience for $$. They aren't such perfectionists anymore and that is a quality that once endeared them to fans.

As for your last comment: Yeah, what is the connection between Rush and Transformers 5? There is none that I can see. Other than making lots of money.

I think you answered your own question. Its releasing a subpar product knowing that fans will buy it based on earlier success. Good work isn't measurable by Box Office numbers. Shame on me for giving in and putting up with it because of the huge impact they made on me in my earlier years.

I was debating his point about "so it's hard to fault Rush for their decision to release that concert footage" in my usually cryptic and contrived manner.

Rush has generally been more about quality and a large reason why they've earned many peoples respects (until recently maybe), Michael Bay's Transformers has been more about the finacial success.

Sales alone don't tell the entire story when it comes to the "art" business. Crap can be released and become successful sales-wise but does that make it "worthwhile" or successful if it gives the artist a bad reputation? That's debatable and dependent on the individual artist's goals and agenda. If Rush are all just about making money now and have no more artistic integrity then yes Time Machine was a successful release.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

What?

If Rush are all just about making money now and have no more artistic integrity then yes Time Machine was a successful release.

You obviously get my opinion.

You guys are making it sound like the performance was some amateur atrocity!

Not an amateur atrocity but they've lowered their standards considerably. It's sad and its probably due to the music industry in general. Rush doesn't have the same amount of royalties from their previous work as they once did. Therefore - the misery of touring ( something that cannot be file-shared or illegally downloaded) once bitched about by Neil, is now wholeheartedly embraced by all members. You gotta pay them bills.

Kudos to them though, they still put on a great show and never let anyone down except with uninspired setlists choices and undelivered teases about playing classics. Eh-hem, Alex. (*Cough* Jacob's Ladder *Cough).

I'm not sure they can ever reclaim the magic they once had unless they push themselves in some new directions. Send Boojze off on his way and find a producer that pushes them to do something unique while still featuring their awesome musicianship. Geddy can't sing for Sh*t anymore in my opinion and that's the last reason I listen to their music - closely followed by Neil's preachy lyrics. It's all about the musicianship that still draws me to their concerts.

• Like 1

You guys are making it sound like the performance was some amateur atrocity!

I don't. I think it was a good performance and release. I'm just disagreeing with you that the amount of sales alone is a good gauge as to whether or not it was a successful release.

You guys are too cynical. The HAD to release the Time Machine DVD. If they didn't, many Clevelandites would have been highly insulted!

From wikipedia: As a tribute to the city that first played their music on the radio, the Cleveland performance at Quicken Loans Arena on April 15, 2011 was filmed and released as a DVD and Blu-ray, titled Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland. This is the first official full-length live performance filming of Rush in the United States.[3][4]

Edited by antiquark

You guys are too cynical. The HAD to release the Time Machine DVD. If they didn't, many Clevelandites would have been highly insulted!

From wikipedia: As a tribute to the city that first played their music on the radio, the Cleveland performance at Quicken Loans Arena on April 15, 2011 was filmed and released as a DVD and Blu-ray, titled Time Machine 2011: Live in Cleveland. This is the first official full-length live performance filming of Rush in the United States.[3][4]

Most here know this....

But they didn't HAVE to release anything. They could have just claimed technical audio problems like they did with the Different Stages dvd. They didn't HAVE to release that one either (and didn't).

I love the Time Machine recording. Some of the vocals are rough, but the playing is top notch, and I cherish several of the performances on it. While there's quite a bit of it that I never listen to, there are many songs on it that I listen to all the time for a guaranteed hit of :rush: joy.

With that said, though, I stand by this post:

I like the live recordings, warts and all, but I think that for the sake of their audience's treasured memories maybe they should stop doing tour recordings. Then everyone would remember these shows as the thrilling, joyous and satisfying LIVE performances they were, without all the second-guessing brought on months later by the fact that recordings reveal flaws that no one notices when they're at the show caught up in the excitement.

It would be especially satisfying if those who don't even go to the gigs had no recordings to give them the authority to go around squawking about how Rush should retire because a tour they didn't actually see sounded so terrible.

What bugs me about Neli, is his complete and utter disdain for anything pre moving pictures

I'm not sure if that's entirely true but I've heard Geddy make negative and clueless comments about their earlier music. What Geddy and Neil fail to realize is that they no longer possess the initial enthusiasm and creativity that made them so great. I happen to believe they haven't made a "great" recording since Grace Under Pressure. That was a complete set of songs. Everything since then has been a spattering of good tunes here and there with lots of throw-aways.

At the very least, their earlier music was genuine. It didn't sound contrived. They seemed to want to make the best music they possibly could without compromising. I'm not so sure that's true anymore. For instance, there was a time when they NEVER would have released a live DVD or a recording that sounded like crap - case in point - The R30 and Time Machine DVD's. Those are downright awful and embarrassing. Geddy singing while sick? Are you kidding me? Years ago he would have been mortified and it never would have made the light of day for sale.

I agree with most of what you said except I like R30. I think it sounds fine.

They sold more like one tenth of that. A DVD is Platinum at 100,000 units, not one million.

http://www.riaa.com/...lector=criteria

• Like 1