Question for Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon, if my memory serves me correct you have a Mark VI right? Do you use Mesa/Boogie branded tubes or any other and why?

I think my Rectumfrier could benefit from new tubes. I'm thinking about a 5751 in V1 to tame it a bit, perhaps a 12AY7 in V2 to avoid having high gain at 10 o'clock on the gain control. Other than that I'm thinking about using the ecc803s in the rest.

Any thoughts or suggestions? :)

I think my Rectumfrier could benefit from new tubes.

Nah....not gonna go there...

• Like 4

I think my Rectumfrier could benefit from new tubes.

Nah....not gonna go there...

Oh come on. You must..... :) Fish in a barrel

:D

Rectumfrier is what some call a Mesa/Boogie Rectifier.

Although that word applies very well to that part of the body ;)

:LOL:

Not sure why you'd want to put a tube in it...

:backsoutofthreadslowly:

• Like 1

Not sure why you'd want to put a tube in it...

:backsoutofthreadslowly:

I have heard emergency room stories about...... :scared: :)
  • Like 1

I searched and found this if it helps any. Not sure what it means but.....

Massive Boobies Triple Rectumfrier NAD

• Like 1

To answer your question, TAG, you have found one area of guitar/amps/pedals that I have little to no experience in. The extent of my experience with amps and vacuum tubes is that I swap out some old pre amp and power amp tubes in the Fender Blues Junior that I used to own. And I only replaced them with the same types of tubes that were original to the amp: Three 12ax7's and two EL84's. When I have to replace the tubes in my Mesa Boogies (Lone Star Classic and Mark V) I will do some research to see what others are using, but chances are, I will use Boogies tubes, so as not to void any warranty that I might still have.

To answer your question, TAG, you have found one area of guitar/amps/pedals that I have little to no experience in. The extent of my experience with amps and vacuum tubes is that I swap out some old pre amp and power amp tubes in the Fender Blues Junior that I used to own. And I only replaced them with the same types of tubes that were original to the amp: Three 12ax7's and two EL84's. When I have to replace the tubes in my Mesa Boogies (Lone Star Classic and Mark V) I will do some research to see what others are using, but chances are, I will use Boogies tubes, so as not to void any warranty that I might still have.

Thanks for replying :)

I guess sometimes you have to try and hear for yourself. One thing is for sure, new tubes will always sound good unless it's a flake.

I have a friend with 2 or 3 different Boogies and he's used Groove Tubes or Fenders in his.

I had a roommate who was really into tubes and biasing and the subtle nuances between tube types. Do some research. There are New Old Stock Russian tubes available meaning tubes made in Russia during the 50s and 60s that have gone unused but are on the market. Many guys like those because of the build quality. Another friend of mine builds tube hardware and loves the Russian NOS tubes. The caveat is there are some clunkers in the bunch so they have to be tested for use. Groove Tube has charts on the sonic characteristics of different tube types and their uses such as preamp versus power, etc.

That's a good place to start. GT has a lot of info.

• Like 2

Thanks for replying :)

I guess sometimes you have to try and hear for yourself. One thing is for sure, new tubes will always sound good unless it's a flake.

I am glad you got a serious response..... :D

I have a friend with 2 or 3 different Boogies and he's used Groove Tubes or Fenders in his.

I had a roommate who was really into tubes and biasing and the subtle nuances between tube types. Do some research. There are New Old Stock Russian tubes available meaning tubes made in Russia during the 50s and 60s that have gone unused but are on the market. Many guys like those because of the build quality. Another friend of mine builds tube hardware and loves the Russian NOS tubes. The caveat is there are some clunkers in the bunch so they have to be tested for use. Groove Tube has charts on the sonic characteristics of different tube types and their uses such as preamp versus power, etc.

That's a good place to start. GT has a lot of info.

Back when those tubes were military spec, they had to be built not to fail. So anytime you can get NOS components, especially tubes, go for it.

I have thought about NOS tubes but two things steer me away from it:

1. The jacked up prices.

2. And I wan't my amps to be dependent on readily available tubes.

I'm pretty sure NOS tubes will sound the best, but as long as I never try them I won't know what I'm missing out on ;)

Fair enough. Groove Tube make all kinds of replacement tubes of all varieties for all types of amp, including rectifiers. I have never replaced nor biased tubes myself so I don't know what's involved. I have a 70s Deluxe that could use new power tubes at least.