#21 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 8725 posts
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostTinwoodsman, on 10 June 2014 - 01:45 AM, said:

I can understand the disdain for the single point in the CFL, Aikenrooster. Yet, there have been many wild finishes where teams either tried to kick a fieldgoal or punt for a single in the dying seconds of a game. It is entertaining to those hardcore CFL fans who like the game as it is and respect tradition.

That being said, what do think of two point convert attempts instead of kicking converts?
I love the 2 point option.  College football has always had it, which is the football I watch.  I don't watch any NFL football.  Yeah, I'm old school when it comes to football.  I view the game as a game of field position and defense.  South Carolina was a favorite to beat Tennessee, last year, at their stadium, but, Tennessee played the perfect field position game and they beat us.  Even though our defense was outstanding, they had 6 punts that landed or were not returned past our own 20 yard line, and we only returned 2 of those punts for 4 yards.  We had 2 turnovers(our QB threw his only pick of the year) and, except for a few big plays, we couldn't drive the ball, and our punting was horrible.  They always started around midfield.

Also, one of the great college games of all time, back in 2011, was when LSU upset Alabama, at their stadium, 9-6, in overtime, whereupon Alabama missed 4 FGs.  I loved that game.

Sponsored Post

#22 tx_rush

tx_rush

I am Cornholio!

• Members *
  • 5754 posts
  • Interests:playing music, baseball, fishing, hunting

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Edmonton fan over here! Have just started to get into CFL in last year or so

#23 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 53759 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostTinwoodsman, on 08 June 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Roughriders were horsemen back in the day

Rough Riders were lumberjacks who rode the logs down rivers or canals

Both teams had a long storied history
Posted Image

#24 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69677 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

View Postgoose, on 17 June 2014 - 10:19 PM, said:

View PostTinwoodsman, on 08 June 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Roughriders were horsemen back in the day

Rough Riders were lumberjacks who rode the logs down rivers or canals

Both teams had a long storied history
Posted Image
Good thing they've got warming lubricant...it definitely makes it easier to penetrate the end zone or split the uprights.

#25 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

By-Tor on the Bayou

• Members
  • 16892 posts
  • Interests:Music, building interesting projects, scotch

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

There is no US broadcast agreement yet. ESPN3 carried some of last weeks exhibition games. There is no word on this weeks exhibition games.

FYI ... cfl.ca has a link under Schedule, and is the best current CFL site.

#26 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

By-Tor on the Bayou

• Members
  • 16892 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:45 AM

Marcus Ball

Edited by Tinwoodsman, 18 June 2014 - 12:53 AM.

#27 Tinwoodsman

Tinwoodsman

By-Tor on the Bayou

• Members
  • 16892 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

link does not work, Duck ...

search his name on cfl.ca

Edited by Tinwoodsman, 18 June 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#28 RushBoingo

RushBoingo

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1094 posts
  • Interests:Concerts, Music, Amusement Parks, Road Trips, Laughing.
    Favorite Bands: Animal Collective, They Might Be Giants, Rush, too may others to list here

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:12 AM

Well, I am not a huge sports guy, but football is decent fun to watch if you know what is happening. Excited so far because Winnipeg is doing exceptionally well with the new Quarterback Drew Willy, and we beat the Red Blacks in their first game to make up for The Jets losing their first game when they returned.

On the topic of different rules, I will always prefer the Canadian (from what I can understand). The Wider Field allows for more entertaining big plays, and the three downs makes it much more interesting as you see both teams switch possession more frequently, so it always feels more down to the nail when the score is tight.

#29 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

View PostAikenrooster, on 08 June 2014 - 08:41 PM, said:

I love CFL because of the single point.  The game was never meant to have free touch backs,  and, while I dislike the 25 yard end zones, the singles need to be brought back into American football by moving the kickoff location to a point, not where the ball goes out of the back of the end zone always, but where most balls will land in the end zone and the returner has to weigh the risk of running it out vs. giving up a point.  Also, this would give another option to the offense when they have 4th and short from an area slightly out of field goal range.

They really should make this an NFL rule too. It would be far more exciting & it puts the responsibility on the receiver to successfully run the ball out into the field of play. Also the kickers would be forced to be far more accurate.

#30 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 69677 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostTurbine Freight, on 05 July 2014 - 06:25 AM, said:

I love CFL because of the single point.  The game was never meant to have free touch backs,  and, while I dislike the 25 yard end zones, the singles need to be brought back into American football by moving the kickoff location to a point, not where the ball goes out of the back of the end zone always, but where most balls will land in the end zone and the returner has to weigh the risk of running it out vs. giving up a point.  Also, this would give another option to the offense when they have 4th and short from an area slightly out of field goal range.

They really should make this an NFL rule too. It would be far more exciting & it puts the responsibility on the receiver to successfully run the ball out into the field of play. Also the kickers would be forced to be far more accurate.
two problems with this:

1)   It wouldn't work without the 25 yard end zone.     If a team got to the opponents' 40 to 45 yard line, short of gale force winds or zero degree temperatures every punter in the league would just put it in the stands.    And in Denver it would be a virtually automatic point if you got to midfield.   It would be fun to see some of the red zone defenses try to defend a 25 yard end zone though.

2)   You think with Goodell's emphasis on reducing concussions, they're going to do something that increases kick returns?   Not a chance.

#31 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 July 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

two problems with this:

1)   It wouldn't work without the 25 yard end zone.     If a team got to the opponents' 40 to 45 yard line, short of gale force winds or zero degree temperatures every punter in the league would just put it in the stands.    And in Denver it would be a virtually automatic point if you got to midfield.   It would be fun to see some of the red zone defenses try to defend a 25 yard end zone though.

2)   You think with Goodell's emphasis on reducing concussions, they're going to do something that increases kick returns?   Not a chance.

Both fair points. But I'd like to see them give it a go. The O line would REALLY have to aim up to move the chains with increased 1st downs starting in their own 10 yard line.

With regard to punts, they would have to learn how to "torpedo" or "spiral" kick as they do in Rugby League. It's a totally different set of skills but it would be great to see.

Edited by Turbine Freight, 05 July 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#32 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

cricfree tv is streaming the Rough Riders/Argonauts game right now.

http://cricfree.eu/l...argonauts/45153

#33 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

I love the commentary!

"It's a field goal attempt from 19 yards oot..."!

#34 tx_rush

tx_rush

I am Cornholio!

• Members *
  • 5754 posts
  • Interests:playing music, baseball, fishing, hunting

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Edmonton looking good!

#35 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

"The ball popped oot..."   :lol:

#36 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

The Argos/Rough Riders game was good despite the blow out scoreline. I'm a CFL convert.

#37 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Gonna watch Winnipeg v Montreal tonight.

#38 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 8725 posts
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 05 July 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

two problems with this:

1)   It wouldn't work without the 25 yard end zone. If a team got to the opponents' 40 to 45 yard line, short of gale force winds or zero degree temperatures every punter in the league would just put it in the stands. And in Denver it would be a virtually automatic point if you got to midfield.   It would be fun to see some of the red zone defenses try to defend a 25 yard end zone though.

Your 2nd point is why it will never happen.

And, in the spirit of honesty, your first point is valid.  I was only thinking kickoffs and not considering punts.  Yeah, the offense would gain 1 point and get 25 yards of field position.

#39 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

View Posttx_rush, on 05 July 2014 - 03:26 PM, said:

Edmonton looking good!

Another comprehensive victory for the Eskimos this week.

#40 Turbine Freight

Turbine Freight

Many Happy Returns

• Members *
  • 7194 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Some blow out scores this weekend but still interesting to watch the games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users