kRush - Tribute (one of our members)

Thunder Bay Rush

Why are you trying to pick a fight with me? I listened, I offered my opinion, and gave you examples of why my opinion is what it is, and you're trying pick a fight.

Get over it...I'm not a fan of Rush tribute bands, (and other band's tribute acts) I never will be.

Hey when are you going to respond to my points? Not trying to "pick a fight". But I've brought up some valid rebuttals to some of your bashing. You might at least entertain some of it with a minute or two of thought. Just a suggestion.

I get it..people enjoy it, knock yourselves out....but wouldn't you feel better making your OWN music, and not trying to be someone else?

I've refrained from commenting for some time waiting to see this last qoute. Do you guys write original material? This is a labor of love for you, and I get that...but don't you desire to create and not replicate?

In your posts concerning the remedial, non-challenging nature of Chris Squires work, I'm taken aback by your statements...what does the "real" Kenny sound like? How awesome is his "own" material?

I think I read in some music magazine, maybe the Yukon Blade Grinder or some other reputable publication, that NASA has actually trained monkeys to play Rush on guitar, bass, and drums. So it seems that anybody, or anything for that matter, can do this type of mimicking.

C'mon Kenny—let's hear YOUR music.

And boy have I waited for this comment myself. Again, I can't speak for "Kenny" but since I'm "that other tribute band guy", I sure as heck can speak for myself. Or better yet, my resume can speak for ITSELF! For over 20 years I have worked full time as a studio/touring musician in both L.A. and now Nashville. The bulk of my career has been as a horn player (trumpet) as well as background vocals and keys, playing mostly funk, jazz and R&B. Within all of this, 98% of the material I have done has been............wait for it..................ORIGINALS! I worked full time for 3 years at the Disneyland Theme Park in California, I've been on more than countable studio recordings including one Grammy nominated project (2009) and a GMA Award winning project (with the Dove trophy in my living room to prove it). I've toured 48 states in the US, multiple countries, played at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Greece, the Grand Ole Opry, The Rhyman, The Hollywood Bowl, Carnegie Hall, Dozens of arenas and stadiums throughout the U.S., TV commercials, National TV shows and major motion pictures. All of this doing...........wait for it..........ORIGINAL MUSIC!

So with that being said, if I want to spend my NOW PART TIME music career (as I gave up "full time" for a full time day job to be with my family more) doing COVERS.....I'd say I've more than paid my dues and earned my keep with "original music" to justify now doing "covers" for the "labor of love".

LASTLY, you may not all be aware of this....but a certain member of Rush has had his own stint playing "covers" on a "tribute project". Neil Peart did a "Tribute To Buddy Rich" album where he stepped out of his comfort zone to display his "jazz" skills (which is KILLER by the way). So if a "tribute project" is good enough for Neil, it's good enough for me.

Professional stuff. What albums have you recorded and credited on? Love to hear it.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

I get it..people enjoy it, knock yourselves out....but wouldn't you feel better making your OWN music, and not trying to be someone else?

I've refrained from commenting for some time waiting to see this last qoute. Do you guys write original material? This is a labor of love for you, and I get that...but don't you desire to create and not replicate?

In your posts concerning the remedial, non-challenging nature of Chris Squires work, I'm taken aback by your statements...what does the "real" Kenny sound like? How awesome is his "own" material?

I think I read in some music magazine, maybe the Yukon Blade Grinder or some other reputable publication, that NASA has actually trained monkeys to play Rush on guitar, bass, and drums. So it seems that anybody, or anything for that matter, can do this type of mimicking.

And boy have I waited for this comment myself. Again, I can't speak for "Kenny" but since I'm "that other tribute band guy", I sure as heck can speak for myself. Or better yet, my resume can speak for ITSELF! For over 20 years I have worked full time as a studio/touring musician in both L.A. and now Nashville. The bulk of my career has been as a horn player (trumpet) as well as background vocals and keys, playing mostly funk, jazz and R&B. Within all of this, 98% of the material I have done has been............wait for it..................ORIGINALS! I worked full time for 3 years at the Disneyland Theme Park in California, I've been on more than countable studio recordings including one Grammy nominated project (2009) and a GMA Award winning project (with the Dove trophy in my living room to prove it). I've toured 48 states in the US, multiple countries, played at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Greece, the Grand Ole Opry, The Rhyman, The Hollywood Bowl, Carnegie Hall, Dozens of arenas and stadiums throughout the U.S., TV commercials, National TV shows and major motion pictures. All of this doing...........wait for it..........ORIGINAL MUSIC!

So with that being said, if I want to spend my NOW PART TIME music career (as I gave up "full time" for a full time day job to be with my family more) doing COVERS.....I'd say I've more than paid my dues and earned my keep with "original music" to justify now doing "covers" for the "labor of love".

LASTLY, you may not all be aware of this....but a certain member of Rush has had his own stint playing "covers" on a "tribute project". Neil Peart did a "Tribute To Buddy Rich" album where he stepped out of his comfort zone to display his "jazz" skills (which is KILLER by the way). So if a "tribute project" is good enough for Neil, it's good enough for me.

Professional stuff. What albums have you recorded and credited on? Love to hear it.

Well, Nashville is primarily known for two things (though there really is a lot more music than just these two genres), Country music and Christian music. Generally not much horn section work in country (though there are a few exceptions) so I've managed to land a lot of Christian/Gospel sessions. A band called "Denver & The Mile High Orchestra" was basically my full time job for many years. I've been on all of their recordings since 2002. I've recorded and or toured with artists such as "Mercy Me, Casting Crowns, Natalie Grant, Avalon and the Gaithers" and several others. The Grammy nomination was for "Gospel Album of the year" on a solo project by the Mercy Me lead singer "Bart Millard" called "Hymned Again". Played at Carnegie Hall with both Denver & The Mile High Orchestra as well as the Manhattan Pops Orchestra. In L.A. I played some live shows with Buddy Rich side kick "Louie Bellson". Any of what I've shared is easy to find and look up. If interested in something recent, the following music video is part of a "work in progress" that I did with a Pop band here in Nashville (I'm the trumpet player in this)...

• Like 1

Well, Nashville is primarily known for two things (though there really is a lot more music than just these two genres), Country music and Christian music. Generally not much horn section work in country (though there are a few exceptions) so I've managed to land a lot of Christian/Gospel sessions. A band called "Denver & The Mile High Orchestra" was basically my full time job for many years. I've been on all of their recordings since 2002. I've recorded and or toured with artists such as "Mercy Me, Casting Crowns, Natalie Grant, Avalon and the Gaithers" and several others. The Grammy nomination was for "Gospel Album of the year" on a solo project by the Mercy Me lead singer "Bart Millard" called "Hymned Again". Played at Carnegie Hall with both Denver & The Mile High Orchestra as well as the Manhattan Pops Orchestra. In L.A. I played some live shows with Buddy Rich side kick "Louie Bellson". Any of what I've shared is easy to find and look up. If interested in something recent, the following music video is part of a "work in progress" that I did with a Pop band here in Nashville (I'm the trumpet player in this)...

Yeah I'm familiar with the Nashville product. Interesting Rush recorded there. How many dates with the Gaithers? Thanks

So to steer this back to the Rush Tribute Band topic. In light of all of what I've said about my past full time career (doing "originals"), it is such a breath of fresh air to do this Rush tribute band project. I'm having so much fun with it and have not been this excited about a music project since I was 22 years old being hired to play my first job for the Disney company. This one is NOT just about the "money" or "paying bills". A true labor of love playing music from one of my favorite bands of all times. I feel like a kid again. :) This is MY "mid-life crisis". :D
  • Like 1

Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?

Seems to me that you're the one picking the fight… you came into a thread about a tribute band, knowing that you are philosophically opposed them, to "offer" a scathing opinion of how bad you think they sound. Why bother?

Secondly, you didn't just casually state your opinion, you essentially told the guy you think he is silly and ridiculous for doing and working hard at something he enjoys doing, and continued to tell him what he SHOULD be doing instead. Maybe your words weren't intended as harshly as they sound… but they sound a bit overly critical and authoritarian to me. But then again, this is just my opinion.

No...I see a thread on a tribute band, and the word "Wow"...so I got curious...read what the OP said regarding NOT usually liking tribute bands because they're usually not good...so I clicked, and wasn't impressed...and stated my opinion. When I see "wow" I think "ok, maybe I'm missing something" but it wasn't "wow"! Wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen..but it wasn't "wow"...

Then stated my opinion of what I think of tribute bands in general, and suggested that maybe you should try something other than being a "hard and fast tribute band" especially since it's a band that's still touring....

When I read musician forums, and I see drummers who's life dream is to learn EVERY NEIL PEART LICK, (or other drummers) and makes posts to that affect, I have to laugh! Back when I was young, and learning, I started messing with some Neil, but then decided that he wasn't my ONLY influence, so I started picking apart Vinnie Colaiuta, Terry Bozzio, Carl Palmer, _______.... When I DID start picking these guys apart, I also learned that learning an entire song (unless you're playing it with a band) is virtually a waste of time, unless it's just a curiosity to play it. Yeah, it's good to study certain drummers, but it's also good to get your own feel for things... Heck, I probably studied 1000 drummers over the years...(well, when I DID play a lot...now it's just an occasional thing since I have other hobbies to keep me occupied) When I WAS playing, there was a group of guys I used to get together with, who all played in different bands...wedding bands, top 40 bands, general bar bands, etc.... we'd get together on a Sunday afternoon about every other month, have a few beers, and jam Rush, UK, Yes, and bands like that to keep our heads straight. heck the bass player was in a country band, and was able to play KILLER Geddy Lee licks...HIS favorite bass player was Jeff Berlin, so.

When I see "tribute acts" I get curious, and I DO go see them...The Musical Box was one in particular that is freaking amazing! (and they play an era of Genesis that hasn't been done in years) The Machine is a GOOD Pink Floyd band, but see them more than once (Unless they're doing a particular album) and it gets boring...yeah, it's a curiosity, yeah, they did a good version of the albums I saw one night (Wall, Dark Side, Animals) but to go see one of theiir regular shows....ho hum! Same stuff...whatever...

Zappa Plays Zappa, is decent, but not overly impressive...Project Object IMHO, is a much better version of Zappa tribute...and come across a lot looser and like a jam band, rather than attempting the technical side of Zappa...(apples-oranges...all good musicians, but....)

Again...it's my opinion.. I'm not saying "dude, you suck, give up music" Just mix it up a bit...You enjoy it, great ...go for it! whatever...

Project Object IMHO, is a much better version of Zappa tribute.

Erik Svalgard is an amazing keyboard player. He taught music theory to my oldest son. I would not go so far as to say Project Object are better than Zappa but they are impressive.

Can we call this?

Time of death... 2:45, 3/19/14.

• Like 1

Kenny,

Great job man. You guys are very tight, are having a great time and playing great music. I am still writing and creating myself.....but on such a small scale. I have been in the same original band since 1991. We have been on and off for a while......whenever we would split for a while my bass player and drummer would go off and do other projects......my drummer has been in a 80's cover band for several years....he get's paid well for it. My bass player has done many projects with various recording artists in Latin America etc.....and me? I always stuck to just playing my own stuff and when we were not together I would just jam with other friends etc. I stopped playing covers after high school.

I had been asked to play in several Rush tribute bands over the years.....but I always declined. I love Alex....he is the reason I started playing guitar....and I did learn Exit Stage Left front to back when I first started playing.....that was my guitar lessons.....LOL. But me personally I never have had much desire to play other peoples music. It has always been about the creation process and playing that stuff live and recording it. Creating my own signature sound and style. Proud to say in my limited local circles and to those that know me....I have.

I find nothing wrong with tribute bands....and admire their efforts when they are well deserved. You guys really do a great job playing these classic tunes. You show the utmost repsect to the music your playing. Because if it is not note for note......it's ain't happenng. For example I watched that video of Imagine Dragons hacking Tom Sawyer. If your going to play a Rush song like that......please....don't bother. It's disrecpectful to the source material LOL!

I am actually going to see Brit Floyd in May and am really looking forward to it. They are incredible.

Enjoy man. I am in the same boat. 40 something, an incredible wife and 9 year old son......In my limted time for my musical escapes....I choose to write and record and do an annual showcase for friends and family.

You choose to jam Rush.......awesome job to you and your mates. Sounds great man.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Thank you, Todem. We're all just doing what makes us happy.

My bottom line is - I am just not a very good song writer.

I don't think less of a violinist or cellist because they don't compose music but choose to play with an orchestra (kind of a cover band) and play the greatest music in that genre. Some people find that to be demeaning or a failure of sorts. I do not. Someone else wrote it and I love playing it.

Would love to hear some of your stuff some time!

• Like 1

Erik Svalgard is an amazing keyboard player. He taught music theory to my oldest son. I would not go so far as to say Project Object are better than Zappa but they are impressive.

Can we call this?

Agree...I'm out...

To qualify my Zappa Plays Zappa statement....Dweezil is a great guitar player..just not really a fan of his bands, so far.... Project Object would be cool if played with them (but Andre is a great guitar player, too)

• Like 1

Can we call this?

Agree...I'm out...

To qualify my Zappa Plays Zappa statement....Dweezil is a great guitar player..just not really a fan of his bands, so far.... Project Object would be cool if played with them (but Andre is a great guitar player, too)

So you still continue to ignore every single point I have both respectfully and politely provided and now throw your hands up and say "I'm out"? OK. (shrug)

Can we call this?

Agree...I'm out...

So you still continue to ignore every single point I have both respectfully and politely provided and now throw your hands up and say "I'm out"? OK. (shrug)

Ok...what am I missing? what do you want to know?

Can we call this?

Agree...I'm out...

Ok...what am I missing? what do you want to know?

You're missing a lot. And it's not so much about what "I want to know" and more what I want YOU to know. How about starting by going back and reading ALL of my previous posts that you ignored (meaning ALL of the ones I've made since your first post of un-solicited bashing on kRUSH). And don't forget the one where I address "playing originals" since that seems t be very important to you. Kenny might be done with you - but I'm not. Edited by forcetenrushtribute

Well number one, i'm not BASHING kRush, I'm BASHING 99% of the tribute bands out there! AS a "novelty" act they are OK..but as something long standing? Not big on them...Number two, I don't give a flying ____ about what you posted, I was talking to Kenny, and I'm not going back and re-reading your posts....WTF do you want to know?

Well number one, i'm not BASHING kRush, I'm BASHING 99% of the tribute bands out there! AS a "novelty" act they are OK..but as something long standing? Not big on them...Number two, I don't give a flying ____ about what you posted, I was talking to Kenny, and I'm not going back and re-reading your posts....WTF do you want to know?

Excuse me? But this is not a "private IM discussion". You posted this publicly so the least you can do is respond to those who have respectfully replied to you. Secondly, I TOO have a tribute band and IN REALIZING that you are bashing ME as well, have posted my own rebuttals to your "bashes". So again, the least you could do is read those rebuttals. If NOTHING else, read my post regardng my history playing "originals" (since AGAIN that is s important to you). You should at least know WHO you are bashing (since you clearly are including me in your bash as well). I'm pretty certain I've achieved more in just one year in my music career (with originals) than you have and will in your entire life. That's what I'd like YOU to know. Everyone is entitled to an opinion - but not everyone deserves one.

It isn't playing originalls that's important to me, it's wasting your time trying to emulate someone or something you're not! There's a difference being a band that it a tribute band, and a band that plays the music of another band!

As I said tribute bands are novety acts I appreciate 100's of drummers, not just Neil Peart, and I like to play the music, or styles of those 100's of drummers, NOT just Neil Pearts! As I said in another post, it annoy's the living crap out of me when I see other drummers making it some sort of lifetime goal to be able to play every single Rush song in their catalog! AS far as I'm concerned, if you CAN, and you are THAT GOOD OF A DRUMMER, then maybe you should try something else, and work on being your OWN drummer instead of the next Neil Peart!

What I REALY love is when Portnoy does his tribute act concerts as a one and done kind of thing! He is the consumate fan of other bands, and we know a lot of his influences, but he doesn't just waste his talent playing ONLY Rush, or ONLY Led Zeppelin, or ONLY The Beatles, he plays them all, does other bands, and goes through different styles!

Don't you get TIRED of only playing Rush music? Ok, so you said you did some originals...I've done a few demos for friends, and they didn't get anywhere, so no biggy...one guy is still playing, doing his stuff, covers, and sometimes, he does it acoustically... Another guy did a Country album, I did some work with him when his drummer broke his leg, then recorded a demo or two with him, he went to Nashville, and never made it... Yeah,. not everyone makes it but these guys are still playing, doing it...

But bottom line on this? I'm not BASHING I'm giving you my OPINION...If you think that my opinion is bashing, then that's YOUR opinion!

There was a local band up in the Wilkes Barre, PA area that used to play obscure stuff from a LOT of different bands! They did Free Four by Pink Floyd, Lakeside Park, and other oddities like that... I was AMAZED at them!

I also respect bands that when they DO other bands music they AREN'T trying to do it just like the band did it, but put their own frosting on those cakes! I'd respect an all Rush ACOUSTIC act moreso than a band that wants to emulate them and play the music EXACT!

That's probably why I like Project Object, moreso than Zappa Plays Zappa!

It isn't playing originalls that's important to me, it's wasting your time trying to emulate someone or something you're not! There's a difference being a band that it a tribute band, and a band that plays the music of another band!

As I said tribute bands are novety acts I appreciate 100's of drummers, not just Neil Peart, and I like to play the music, or styles of those 100's of drummers, NOT just Neil Pearts! As I said in another post, it annoy's the living crap out of me when I see other drummers making it some sort of lifetime goal to be able to play every single Rush song in their catalog! AS far as I'm concerned, if you CAN, and you are THAT GOOD OF A DRUMMER, then maybe you should try something else, and work on being your OWN drummer instead of the next Neil Peart!

What I REALY love is when Portnoy does his tribute act concerts as a one and done kind of thing! He is the consumate fan of other bands, and we know a lot of his influences, but he doesn't just waste his talent playing ONLY Rush, or ONLY Led Zeppelin, or ONLY The Beatles, he plays them all, does other bands, and goes through different styles!

Don't you get TIRED of only playing Rush music? Ok, so you said you did some originals...I've done a few demos for friends, and they didn't get anywhere, so no biggy...one guy is still playing, doing his stuff, covers, and sometimes, he does it acoustically... Another guy did a Country album, I did some work with him when his drummer broke his leg, then recorded a demo or two with him, he went to Nashville, and never made it... Yeah,. not everyone makes it but these guys are still playing, doing it...

But bottom line on this? I'm not BASHING I'm giving you my OPINION...If you think that my opinion is bashing, then t

The fact that you are asking me if "I get tired of playing Rush music" proves you have not read a single word of my previous posts. "Some originals"? HA! Dude.....I have a GRAMMY NOMINATION on my resume and a GMA award in my living room! I've also played at Carnegie Hall, The Opry, Rhyman, Hollywood Bowl, the Summer Olympics in Greece and DOZENS of label attached albums (no not "demos") in Nashville where I live and have years of successful experience. You don't know who you are talking to. Do me ONE favor. If you are not willing to read all of my previous posts, fine. Go back and at least read post #75 on this tread which includes an outline of my resume. What you will learn is that the answer to your above question is "No, I'm tired of playing ORIGINALS! I've done that for 20 years and have paid my dues with it and proven my success with it. PLEASE......just read post number 75 so yo can at least know where I AM coming from.

But bottom line on this? I'm not BASHING I'm giving you my OPINION...If you think that my opinion is bashing, then t

The fact that you are asking me if "I get tired of playing Rush music" proves you have not read a single word of my previous posts. "Some originals"? HA! Dude.....I have a GRAMMY NOMINATION on my resume and a GMA award in my living room! I've also played at Carnegie Hall, The Opry, Rhyman, Hollywood Bowl, the Summer Olympics in Greece and DOZENS of label attached albums (no not "demos") in Nashville where I live and have years of successful experience. You don't know who you are talking to. Do me ONE favor. If you are not willing to read all of my previous posts, fine. Go back and at least read post #75 on this tread which includes an outline of my resume. What you will learn is that the answer to your above question is "No, I'm tired of playing ORIGINALS! I've done that for 20 years and have paid my dues with it and proven my success with it. PLEASE......just read post number 75 so yo can at least know where I AM coming from.

Whoopie! I hate people like you that try to push what they've done and use it as a basis for meaning in life! But that's my opinion, and since I never was nominated for a Grammy, or the fact that I've only really played in cover bands, did demos, and played in, and taught a bunch of drum and bugle corps drumlines (as well as a shit load of high school lines) My OPINION doesn't count for anything! I'm just a no talent non contributing loser, who pales in comparison to your emminent wonderful-ness!

Thank you for your contribution to the music world, I bow at your greatness! :notworthy:

Oh and one more thing. How can I be "tired" of something I JUST started doing (again after over 20 years of doing nothing but originals....SUCCESFULLY! You have me completely backwards. Furthermore, since you don't like drummers and musicians who spend years learning how to play "Rush", I'll have you know that the guys in my band never played Rush's music EVER before our session and we did the session with NO REHEARSAL after I gave the guys only 2 weeks to prepare. Welcome to "Nashville" bub.

Whoopie! I hate people like you that try to push what they've done and use it as a basis for meaning in life! But that's my opinion, and since I never was nominated for a Grammy, or the fact that I've only really played in cover bands, did demos, and played in, and taught a bunch of drum and bugle corps drumlines (as well as a shit load of high school lines) My OPINION doesn't count for anything! I'm just a no talent non contributing loser, who pales in comparison to your emminent wonderful-ness!

Thank you for your contribution to the music world, I bow at your greatness! :notworthy:

Dude......wait a minute. ....you admitedly have only played in cover bands and you are criticizing people for playing Rush covers? PLEASE! GO EARN your worthless opinion by knocking out a few successful originals first and THEN come talk to us about "Rush Covers". Furthermore, if you are a drum corps guy (as I am as well as a horn guy), you are definitely educated enough to understand that "transcribing" is an effective way to develop chops, skill AND your own individual style and voice. So I'm SHOCKED to see you slam drummers for studying Peart. Yould not a snare player in a H.S. band study Blue Devil licks?

Well basically I guess the fact that probably 75-80% of the people that are posting here AREN'T as great as you, then their opinions LIKING this stuff are just as unqualified to comment as me who doesn't like this stuff!

My "music career" was what I made of it. I had other things in life, and I did music to keep myself in heads and sticks.

I'm not slamming people for studying Peart, I'm slamming people for studying ONLY Peart! And believe me there are PLENTY of people that that live that way! I studied the Blue Devils, but I also studied, the Crossmen, Bridgemen, Sunrisers, etc. If I ONLY studied Tom Float licks, then I would be criticizing myself. I studied Tom Float, Ralph Hardimon, Thom Hanuum, Robbie Robinson, etc...

Once again.... I posted MY OPINION! As a music fan, I have AN OPINION...that my OPINION doesn't mesh with yours is because it's MY OPINION!

Am I not qualified to say that I can't freaking stand Justin Bieber? or Miley Cyrus? I guess not, I haven't done what you have? I've ONLY played in lowly cover bands....I'm not a good musician...dear God, let me sell my equipment, and use my stick as kindling the next time I light a fire.

Thank you for your wonderful contribution to the world of music, the fact that you are SO GREAT and we should all feel privlidged that you are gracing us with your wonderful talent and presence is just making my heart flutter, and my head spin!

My opinion is that I don't really like DEDICATED cover bands! A few do things justice, and a few look like a fun time...I haven't heard one (live or on tape) that does any justice to Rush...and again that's MY OPNION!

And as I said a few posts ago.... I'M OUT!

Edited by Jaminbenb