Pink Floyd

Tom Sawyer

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Feb 28 2005, 11:05 PM)
Animals has always been my favorite Floyd album followed closely by The Wall,Wish you Were Here, and Division Bell. As someone said earlier, Floyd rocks, has great lyrics, and especially the albums I mentioned, takes you on an emotional journey with the ebb and flow of those works....even absent the lyrics..the music is so good! And what great music to just chill, crank it up, turn out the lights and cool10.gif if you have em'!

It's my opinion that Pulse, Different Stages, and of course, now Rush in Rio represent some of the BEST live recordings ever issued!

2.gif ROCKS !!

P.S. - Has everybody tried the Dark side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing?
Kinda freaky, huh?

Ye I have the Dark Side of the Rainbow vid..it is indeed freaky and weird.. cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif Apparently there is one with 2112 and ...get this...Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory! laugh.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey pinkfloyd1973 or anyone else who cares. Pink Floyd was my favorite band before i got into Rush a great deal. its cool that others feel the way i feel about Floyd and Rush. For the record my favorite Floyd song is Echoes. well here goes nothing: Does anyone really like Yes. Because they are probably my 3rd favorite band, mainly their old stuff. that would be cool if i met someone with the same top 3 as i have.

QUOTE (ChainLightning @ Feb 28 2005, 10:16 PM)
Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii is now available on DVD. I prefer the original over the director's cut. It really is one of the most amazing performance films of all time, and is about the same set list as the concert I saw in 1972.

I have this dvd as well and I have to agree the original film is much better though I enjoyed some of the special effects from the director's cut (like the intro of the rocket launch). Watching the band perform live in an empty ampitheater was very cool. A very unique concept for sure. cool10.gif cool10.gif cool10.gif Echoes is definitely the highlight performance (though it is split in two)

QUOTE (thetrees @ Mar 1 2005, 12:13 AM)
hey pinkfloyd1973 or anyone else who cares. Pink Floyd was my favorite band before i got into Rush a great deal. its cool that others feel the way i feel about Floyd and Rush. For the record my favorite Floyd song is Echoes. well here goes nothing: Does anyone really like Yes. Because they are probably my 3rd favorite band, mainly their old stuff. that would be cool if i met someone with the same top 3 as i have.

I'll let Pink Floyd 1973 speak for himself, but I have found in the past that he and I have almost identicle taste in music, and yes, that includes Yes. yes.gif

I like Yes and have been to see them but i don't think I would class them in my top 3.

And they are only worth it with Rick Wakeman to me.

Yes is more of a concept than it is a band. There have been so many different musicians in Yes over the years, more than almost any other band. Yes is Jon Anderson and Chris Squire and whoever else.

When Rick Wakeman is with Yes it is a definite plus.

I dont think The Final Cut gets the credit it deserves. I remember listening to it the first couple of times and really not being able to get into it, then all of the sudden it just clicked. While it may not have any really heavy songs in it, it does showcase a lot of really interesting musical concepts and compositions.

QUOTE (ChainLightning @ Mar 1 2005, 03:49 PM)
Yes is more of a concept than it is a band. There have been so many different musicians in Yes over the years, more than almost any other band. Yes is Jon Anderson and Chris Squire and whoever else.

When Rick Wakeman is with Yes it is a definite plus.

My personal opinion is that when Yes performs live with Rick Wakeman, he is a detraction. It seems that they alter the songs just for him..adding keyboards were there were none, solos, etc. Just ruins the whole deal for me..

Anyway, IMHO..

PERPETUAL CHANGE RULES. plus the live version of AND YOU AND I from (which album?) is incredible because the bass is so loud, like taurus pedals, literally. the studio version of AND YOU AND I also has some sweet rickenbacker tone. such a great sound.

YOURS IS NO DISGRACE was incredible this past tour. a classic and it sounded way different. people went nuts here in orange county. steve howe playeed his best performance that tour imo. he was out of control!

Wakeman gets the solos because he is awesome. He was the one who propelled Yes into superstardom in the early 70's. He is most definately not a detraction, the album where he had least input (except for the ones where he wasn't there) Tales for Topgraphic Oceans was a tired and drawn out, dull album.

I really do not feel there is much in common between RUSH and FLoyd ... (other than what you ponted out) musically, lyrically, history, etc ...

To me, David is the best rock soloist ... and ALex is the best chording guitarist. Two completely differenct styles.

I LOVE both bands ... RUSH taking a lead (go figure) ... but still, I love all the work from both bands.

Also, concerning the more recentlydiscussed topic in this thread, Yes is one of my favs ... I have heard that Wakeman may not tour anymore with Yes ... and would be replaced by Downes (which is cool too) but . I am dissapointed in this as I LOVED the classic line up. Saw them last year and it was wonderful, magical ....

Love that PROG!!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (pinkfloyd1973 @ Feb 28 2005, 12:48 PM)
Not sure if anyone can tell I love Pink Floyd as much as Rush, it’s a pretty even deal.

But some similarities I found in the two, both started out with limited fan base and then did albums that launched them into a new level,
Dark Side of the Moon and Moving Pictures.

Both have been very innovative musically and lyrically. You can dance to either’s music equally as well. wink.gif Both guitarists are unique in style and creativity, both have had successful solo albums and returned to their band roots, both guitarist are licensed aircraft pilots.

I agree with you on this one! PF and Rush are the greatest bands and if you are still here Pink Floyd 1973 you rock!

Rush is ofcourse my favourite band, but I also admire and love Yes (Close to the Edge, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer) and Pink Floyd (Dark side of the Moon, Wish You were here). yes.gif cheer.gif

I had to choose between going to Pulse or the Counterparts tour in '94. Quite the dilemma no? I don't think there's any doubt who won though. tongue.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Feb 28 2005, 01:41 PM)
...The Final Cut was a Roger Waters solo album in all but name...

I don't think there's any real debate about that. It's credited on the CD as "a post-war requiem by Roger Waters." Not even a "music by Waters, Gilmour, Mason (and no Wright)." Personally, I see everything post-WYWH as Waters solo; sure Gilmour contributed to Dogs, Young Lust, Comfortably Numb, and Run Like Hell, but the vast majority was Waters. Likewise, everything post-FC was Gilmour solo. While Wright, Moore (and others) get co-credit on MLoR and DB, I still feel (and possibly mistakenly so) that the majority was Gilmour. I love all post-Floyd Waters work - although I must admit that while Radio Waves was cool musically, it was very non-Waters and has possibly the weakest concept of any concept album ever - and like a bit of post-Waters Floyd, but there's also a lot I don't like. Give me a good live version of Atom Heart Mother Suite or, say, Cymballine anyday. That's where it's at.

Pink Floyd as others have stated is my favorite all time band.......beside Rush of course. Saw them in 94...the Pulse tour. I will put this way.....there is Pink Floyd in concert...and then there is everyone else. The are in a league of their own. Words cannot express how good the entire show is.......

Meddle is what I was first turned on to....and still one of my favorites.....Echos in particular....man I smoked a few numbers listening to this one...(but that was a long time ago.. cool10.gif...LOL). Anyone buy the Dark Side of the Moon Documentary? It is great.....Alan Parsons speaks in it.....tells his side of the story.

I love everything they have done (short of the Final Cut..and even that has SOME decent material)

Man.....I hope they tour again.

I struggle to see any connection between Pink Floyd and Rush at all and I love them both. I think they're totally different musically.

QUOTE (Sark @ Feb 3 2006, 09:02 AM)
I had to choose between going to Pulse or the Counterparts tour in '94. Quite the dilemma no? I don't think there's any doubt who won though. tongue.gif

I attended both within a three week span. Rush May 1, 1994 and Pink Floyd 5/19/1994

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 1 2005, 12:11 AM)
Apparently there is one with 2112 and ...get this...Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory!  laugh.gif

I've tried the 2112 + Willy Wonka thing. There were actually a couple things that aligned pretty well and deserved a "whoah", but I'd classify those as coincidence more than anything. It's like going on a ghost hunt... if you go really expecting to see a ghost, then there's probably a better chance that you'll "see" one.

Just bought The Wall today. 1022.gif

Sorry, I know that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, I just felt the need to share that. blush4.gif

This brings my total collection of PF albums to three. I'm looking forward to seeing how it compares with DSOTM and WYWH. (Yeah, I know, I'm still a Pink Floyd newbie.)

Archived