choice on drums?

PhilsFriendMatt

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 7 2009, 11:08 PM)
Im also a fan of cast cymbals over sheet. When I get new ones I would love some master sound A customs. K master sounds are a little pricey for me. I still love the K ride though so that may be my choice for that

Try Sabian's equivalent as well. You'll be surprised on the comparison.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 7 2009, 08:35 AM)
thanks for all the advice. cygnus i completely agree about the boxy sound coming from pearls and the tom mounts on pdp. The tom mounts on the catalina gretsch look at a little weak; Ive read the reviews and apparently they hold up. Its not the tom mounts themselves its the ball mount they are on its very thin. I do like the gretsch sound though its probably my favorite out of all drums. It havent found a set Ive played yet that gave me a tone I like more than the maple renown kit. As far as the other advice all of my heads are new. I havent yet tried anything other than pinstripes on my toms. Ive heard evans has ones with hydraulic fluid sandwiched between two layers and it gives you a deader sound which I personally am a fan of. And pro endorsements dont really pursuade me. My buddys keep telling me when I get high end cymbals I should get paragons but I really have no desire to. Its a good sounding cymbals but its the sound neil wants and I dont want it just because its on his set. Also the stick advice; I learned pretty early on im a hard hitter. I started out with 2bs and those lasted about a week; im deffinatly not a jazz drummer. I moved on trying 5bs and 5as both which are pretty nice. I ended up trying taylor hawkins(foo fighters) signature sticks and I love them. They are just a little bit heavier than the 5bs but just about the same length and have a ball shaped end on them instead of a teardrop. I thought they looked kind of goofy having never used that style before but after the first time I played them I fell in love with them. Thanks everyone for the great advice

The only issue I have with Grestch is that the they use odd number lugs on their drums. This makes indiscrepancies on sound.

As far as drumheads are concerned, I never like the sound of pinstripes. I switched to Evans Hydraulic which worked well for the time. I tend to like Evans for the lower end/tension drums & Remo for the higher end/tension drums.

Hydraulic is the only truly oil filled head. The others are only two-ply heads.

There is another company you missed that makes decent drumheads Aquarian. They make comparable heads to both companies & you might do yourself a favor & check out what they have.

Drumsticks-another debate. I use all sizes depending on the style I'm playing. Rock, a heavier stick (as I too am a heavy hitter) Vic Firth Rock (I would use nylon tip playing out & wood tip in the studio). For lighter stuff, 5B works great as all all around type but I really like the Steve Smith model as well as Dave Weckl ones too. Stick companies, I like only one. I killed too many Pro-Marks, or any other stick manufacturer. The only one that stood tall for me was Vic Firth (who is also a great man-met him).

It will take you a lot of time to find the right combination of head to drum sound that works for you. Again, I change my mind on drum heads, why wouldn't anyone else?

QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 9 2009, 01:44 PM)
thanks for all the advice. cygnus i completely agree about the boxy sound coming from pearls and the tom mounts on pdp. The tom mounts on the catalina gretsch look at a little weak; Ive read the reviews and apparently they hold up. Its not the tom mounts themselves its the ball mount they are on its very thin. I do like the gretsch sound though its probably my favorite out of all drums. It havent found a set Ive played yet that gave me a tone I like more than the maple renown kit. As far as the other advice all of my heads are new. I havent yet tried anything other than pinstripes on my toms. Ive heard evans has ones with hydraulic fluid sandwiched between two layers and it gives you a deader sound which I personally am a fan of. And pro endorsements dont really pursuade me. My buddys keep telling me when I get high end cymbals I should get paragons but I really have no desire to. Its a good sounding cymbals but its the sound neil wants and I dont want it just because its on his set. Also the stick advice; I learned pretty early on im a hard hitter. I started out with 2bs and those lasted about a week; im deffinatly not a jazz drummer. I moved on trying 5bs and 5as both which are pretty nice. I ended up trying taylor hawkins(foo fighters) signature sticks and I love them. They are just a little bit heavier than the 5bs but just about the same length and have a ball shaped end on them instead of a teardrop. I thought they looked kind of goofy having never used that style before but after the first time I played them I fell in love with them. Thanks everyone for the great advice

The only issue I have with Grestch is that the they use odd number lugs on their drums. This makes indiscrepancies on sound.

As far as drumheads are concerned, I never like the sound of pinstripes. I switched to Evans Hydraulic which worked well for the time. I tend to like Evans for the lower end/tension drums & Remo for the higher end/tension drums.

There is another company you missed that makes decent drumheads Aquarian. They make comparable heads to both companies & you might do yourself a favor & check out what they have.

Drumsticks-another debate. I use all sizes depending on the style I'm playing. Rock, a heavier stick (as I too am a heavy hitter) Vic Firth Rock (I would use nylon tip playing out & wood tip in the studio). For lighter stuff, 5B works great as all all around type but I really like the Steve Smith model as well as Dave Weckl ones too. Stick companies, I like only one. I killed too many Pro-Marks, or any other stick manufacturer. The only one that stood tall for me was Vic Firth (who is also a great man-met him).

It will take you a lot of time to find the right combination of head to drum sound that works for you. Again, I change my mind on drum heads, why wouldn't anyone else?

Haha, it's almost the exact opposite on sticks for me. I've gone through so many Vic Firth sticks and I get more life out of the Pro-Marks. But that's the beauty of drumming. Everybody is different.

Edited by kazzman

A nice drumset, hardware, and cymbals are nice but in my opinion for the time you've been playing, one of the most important things you should learn:

Rudiments

Learn it, know it, live it. Get yourself a practice pad and practice, practice, practice. You'll be glad you did.

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 10 2009, 02:43 AM)
A nice drumset, hardware, and cymbals are nice but in my opinion for the time you've been playing, one of the most important things you should learn:

Rudiments

Learn it, know it, live it. Get yourself a practice pad and practice, practice, practice. You'll be glad you did.

ha funny you mention it picked up a practice pad the other day

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 10 2009, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (Drumnut @ Jan 10 2009, 02:43 AM)

Rudiments

ha funny you mention it picked up a practice pad the other day

There's is truth in this but you should also get yourself two books. Bibles of the drumming world.

George Lawrence Stone: Stick Control[\]

Ted Reed: Syncopation

Inside of the Stick Control basic rudiments (paradiddle etc). These 2 books can be used in so many ways. Once I was taught what could be done, I am a firm believer that these books will help your four way independence more than anything else.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 10 2009, 02:42 AM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 9 2009, 01:44 PM)

Haha, it's almost the exact opposite on sticks for me. I've gone through so many Vic Firth sticks and I get more life out of the Pro-Marks. But that's the beauty of drumming. Everybody is different.

That is funny! I tried too. So many different types of sticks. It boiled down to that for me. I know you did the same.

I have a couple George Lawrence Stone books, including Stick Control. I also recommend A Funky Primer by Charles Dowd.

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 7 2009, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jan 7 2009, 04:36 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 7 2009, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (Der Trommler @ Jan 7 2009, 10:34 AM)
Cast cymbals only. No sheet cymbals. I hate sheet cymbals.

I totally agree.

you've got to at least be able to appreciate some of the high-end paiste stuff (2002, signature, etc) huh.gif

Not really. They are brittle sounding to me. I have never really liked Paiste. It's too bad too because they make a lot of interesting percussion pieces. The 80's Meinls were so much like Paistes that I didn't like them either. But my friend has an endorsement deal with them and they make some very nice cast cymbals these days. Paistes sound and feel like they will break at any moment. A guy I went to school with had various Paiste cymbals and they all broke in very strange ways from standard playing. One Rude ride cracked severely in two places, from the outer edge to about halfway up to the cup on both sides. It was nasty and looked like crushed pennies along the breaks (too much copper in their formula). I have never seen cymbals break the way Paistes do. Some cymbals should never break, rides especially. I have had my Zildjian Ping since 1984 and it is still going strong. I use my Paragon as a backup of for a slightly different tone.

I had a Paiste 505 China that I got in a deal for other items and I rarely used it and I finally gave to a friend's son after it sat around for a few years. Give me a good Wuhan anyday (you may have to look for a good one these days) but at least you won't break the bank buying a Wuhan. I have a 16" Wuhan from 84 as well, plus a couple others for backup, but the old one still sounds great today.

My thoughts are parallel with CygnusX-1Bk2's on the Paiste as well as the Wuhan's. For the most part I stick with Zildjian and Sabian. I've played on other drummers kits with Paiste's and most of them just never impressed me. Certain Wuhan cymbals are pretty awesome. I like their 12" china splash. It has a nice, dirty tone, great projection and quick decay, which comes in handy in a lot of tight places. Dirt cheap, too. So cheap, if you don't like it, just use it for a wall decoration. Make a clock out of it or use it as a door stop. lol

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 14 2009, 06:26 PM)
I have a couple George Lawrence Stone books, including Stick Control. I also recommend A Funky Primer by Charles Dowd.

DANG!!! I completely forgot about that one! Thanks Cyg

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 14 2009, 05:26 PM)

I bought stick control today when I was at gc. I forgot the names of the other ones and I saw funky primer and thought it was one of them but I wasn't sure so I just stuck with stick control. I should probably master these rudiments first anyway. And I saw the set today at gc that I want and checked it out. They had a new ocp vented steel snare set up with it. It had a great sound.

Alright just played with the book for a few hours. I cant thank you enough for suggesting this book. I worked on the majority of the singles at least the recommended 20 times(ones I had some trouble with worked on more) and I can tell its going to be useful. You dont really realize how bad your off hand can be until you use it. I looked at the triplets briefly before I put it up and I was shocked how much trouble I have leading a triplet with my left. The great thing is this book forces me to do it which is exactly what I need. A great suggestion on the book and I may just be buying a funky primer on Wed.

Thanks Again all of you even though this thread was intended to help me pick a new set you have helped me improve my practice method and my fundamentals. Hope you will look for more of my threads to help me out also look for my new set to be posted since I've set November as a target to have it finalized; although I am going to buy it in pieces starting with snare and cymbals. Thanks again for all the help I very easily could have gone the wrong way but I am now learning the right way new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by PhilsFriendMatt

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 6 2009, 05:06 PM)
So I have almost been drumming for one year now I know hold back your enthusiasm. In the beginning it was kind of tough to get into it because I got depressed I didn't know anything but it's amazing what sitting down and ever screwing around for a little while every day can do for you. I used to watch youtube videos to see how to drum songs; those days are long gone. It's all ears now and out of no where I can drum. Now that I spend any where from 1-5 hours a day behind my drums I've decided by years end I should have something a little nicer. I currently am playing on standard size tama imperialstars with b8s all around me and some roto toms. The shells are made of poplar and are a complete pain to tune right. The b8s are nice because of their price, so I was able to surround myself with more than enough cymbals to hit. But I feel by the time I'm at two years of drumming I should move off a beginners kit with beginner cymbals and move up to some big boy drums. Starting this week I'm going to put between $100-$150 a week into savings so by years end I can have new shells and cymbals. So this brings me to you guys for advice. I would love some suggestions on shells. Although my imperialstars are cheap they are still pretty well made which had me leaning toward some starclassics. I also tried out some maple renowns from gretsch and those were very nice sounding as well. I'm not really a huge fan of pearl idk why so I really dont know if I would go with them.And of course there is dw.Anyway thoughts or ideas?
ps anybody played the starclassic mirage series(the acrylic ones) they look beautiful but I would take sound over looks any day of the week

I would look for a deal on some starclassics used. I played on a set of those in my last band and they are very high quality and sound awesome. To go out and buy a new set right now would be seriously foolish. People are selling stuff for record-low prices right now. I'll bet you could find a starclassic in mint condition for less than half what you would pay for a new one, and it might include cymbals.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 22 2009, 09:57 AM)

People are selling stuff for record-low prices right now. I'll bet you could find a starclassic in mint condition for less than half what you would pay for a new one, and it might include cymbals.

You aren't kidding...

Yesterday, I bought in a set of ddrum Dios series drums from Poogie Bell (yes THAT Poogie Bell) and I'm selling them at $800 (brand new they're around $1,500 - 2,000). And these guys are in mint condition too. Sizes are 8,10,12,14,16,18 toms, & 22 kick.

Long story short, ddrum sent him the drums for free to try and steal him from Yamaha's endorsee list. As his way of saying no, he plays the drums once, and then sells them to us dirt cheap.

Edited by kazzman

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 22 2009, 11:56 PM)

People are selling stuff for record-low prices right now. I'll bet you could find a starclassic in mint condition for less than half what you would pay for a new one, and it might include cymbals.

You aren't kidding...

Yesterday, I bought in a set of ddrum Dios series drums from Poogie Bell (yes THAT Poogie Bell) and I'm selling them at $800 (brand new they're around $1,500 - 2,000). And these guys are in mint condition too. Sizes are 8,10,12,14,16,18 toms, & 22 kick.

Long story short, ddrum sent him the drums for free to try and steal him from Yamaha's endorsee list. As his way of saying no, he plays the drums once, and then sells them to us dirt cheap.

No kidding? Awesome!!! trink39.gif

You aren't kidding...

oh man you should sell them to me

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 23 2009, 07:56 AM)

You aren't kidding...

Call the store I work at, give me a valid credit card number and an address I can ship them to and they're all yours wink.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 19 2009, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Jan 14 2009, 05:26 PM)

I bought stick control today when I was at gc. I forgot the names of the other ones and I saw funky primer and thought it was one of them but I wasn't sure so I just stuck with stick control. I should probably master these rudiments first anyway. And I saw the set today at gc that I want and checked it out. They had a new ocp vented steel snare set up with it. It had a great sound.

Ok, now that you have the Stick Control. Do you know how to read music or understand when someone tells you to play on 2 & 4 etc?

If so, I've got an exercise for you. BTW - I used the Stick Control to get NeilFinal.gif waltz solo down. I now use that to stretch it beyond what I thought I could. I get to that later.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 23 2009, 12:34 PM)

You aren't kidding...

Call the store I work at, give me a valid credit card number and an address I can ship them to and they're all yours wink.gif

laugh.gif

pssst! shhhhhh... (ever notice how ppl shut up when you have them put their money where their mouth is?) eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Jan 23 2009, 01:34 PM)

You aren't kidding...

laugh.gif

Ah, the time is right! SIT, Will Calls....memories wink.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 23 2009, 01:34 PM)

You aren't kidding...

laugh.gif

pssst! shhhhhh... (ever notice how ppl shut up when you have them put their money where their mouth is?) eyesre4.gif

hey i was at class all morning and then i had to go straight to work sorry I couldnt go drop $800 right away. Btw you got any pics and wood type?

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 23 2009, 09:10 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 23 2009, 01:34 PM)

You aren't kidding...

laugh.gif

hey i was at class all morning and then i had to go straight to work sorry I couldnt go drop $800 right away. Btw you got any pics and wood type?

Not anymore. It sold early this afternoon.

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Jan 6 2009, 04:06 PM)
So I have almost been drumming for one year now I know hold back your enthusiasm.

It's all ears now and out of no where I can drum. Now that I spend any where from 1-5 hours a day behind my drums I've decided by years end I should have something a little nicer.

...Its great to see all the advice etc. being dished out here!

BUT COULD YA TURN IT DOWN A LITTLE? confused13.gif

I can't hear my damned angry.gif guitar.

Just Kidding! PhilsFriendMatt biggrin.gif

...flail away until your heart's content ... ! actually bought a used set of Pearl (I know) drums for the site where my buddies and I jam, and all of this information has been quite beneficial.

Now we just need a drummer, i'm brutal! comp26.gif

Keep up the good work! 1022.gif