choice on drums?

PhilsFriendMatt

Ok well I really wanted those gretsch drums but I have an idea of a finish I want. The drums are awesome but I thought that white shells with brass hardware all around would look super. To buy those gretsch shells and get all that done to it would first cost 1500 for the shells plus around another 1000 if I wanted to add another bass snare and 2 more toms. Add onto that all the plating on hardware and Im looking at a small fortune. Well I happened to stumble across a site selling all Keller maple shells and all the hardware. If you buy the hardware on the site they will drills the shells for you. My uncle owns a collision shop and could paint them anyway I want and I could get the drums of my dreams for around 2k for the shells and suspension mounts, plus it would be a 9 piece. I know I wouldn't have name brand drums and they wouldn't have much resale value unless someone wanted drums exactly like this but I was wondering what you guys thought about this. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PhilsFriendMatt @ Feb 22 2009, 10:34 PM)
Ok well I really wanted those gretsch drums but I have an idea of a finish I want. The drums are awesome but I thought that white shells with brass hardware all around would look super. To buy those gretsch shells and get all that done to it would first cost 1500 for the shells plus around another 1000 if I wanted to add another bass snare and 2 more toms. Add onto that all the plating on hardware and Im looking at a small fortune. Well I happened to stumble across a site selling all Keller maple shells and all the hardware. If you buy the hardware on the site they will drills the shells for you. My uncle owns a collision shop and could paint them anyway I want and I could get the drums of my dreams for around 2k for the shells and suspension mounts, plus it would be a 9 piece. I know I wouldn't have name brand drums and they wouldn't have much resale value unless someone wanted drums exactly like this but I was wondering what you guys thought about this. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

Prior to 1997 (I believe) Keller made shells for DW. In which for certain snares they have, they still do. Keller also makes shells for other companies which hide this fact. There's nothing wrong with that. You won't get resale but then again, most drum manufacturer's do not resell well at all. I have 2 timbales made of wood by Eames. They took Tama hardware, put it on there & it fits fairly well. No issues. Personally, if that's what you are looking for at that price, go for it.