floydfanatic111

Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won

Metallica - S&M

Pink Floyd - Pulse

Miles Davis - Live/Evil

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness & Eternity

Incubus - Alive At Red Rocks (DVD)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Live At Slane Castle (DVD)

...and Rush In Rio, of course smile.gif

Depeche Mode-"101"

The Cure-"Show"

Queensryche-"Live Evolution"

Dream Theater-Live At Budokan"

Men At Work-"Brazil"

The Police-"Live"

Devo-"Now It Can Be Told, Devo At The Palace 12/9/89

I didn't list any 2.gif . I love them all.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 3 2006, 01:17 AM)
QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Feb 2 2006, 12:58 AM)
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the Tommy show.  That performance (on VHS) was my first introduction to Tommy and to The Who.  It made me into a life-long Who fan and without that, I probably would not be a Rush fan.

That being said, I can understand why many people don't like it.  It isn't "classic Who", or even strictly "post-Moon Who", but a completely different animal altogether.

I saw The Who on that 1989 tour in Foxboro Stadium in July of 1989, my first ever concert I went to.

They did 1/2 of Tommy to start which was Overture and It's a Boy then 1921(with Daltrey singing), Amazing Journey, Sparks, The Acid Queen(Pete sang), Pinball Wizard, Do You Think It's Alright, Fiddle About(The Ox sang), I'm Free, Tommy's Holiday Camp(Pete singing and acting goofy) and We're Not Gonna Take It. Plus their early singles(I Can't Explain, My Generation, Substitute, I Can See For Miles, Magic Bus(just Daltrey, Townshend and Entwistle)) some album tracks(I'm One from Quadrophenia with Townshend by himself, Too Much of Anything from Odds and Sods just Daltrey and Townshend, A Trick of the Light with The Ox singing instead of Roger, My Wife), the obvious classics(Summertime Blues, Baba O' Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Won't Get Fooled Again(which closed the show), 5:15, Love Reign O'er Me, Who Are You, You Better You Bet) and Pete even played some solo tracks(A Little is Enough, A Friend is a Friend, Face the Face, Rough Boys) and also a version of Love Hurts(the Roy Orbison song made famous by Nazareth). Great show it was but the all-star performance of Tommy was not my cup of tea.

Wow- you saw The Who on that tour?! Man, I envy you- I hope I have the chance to go to a Who show sometime. sad.gif

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Feb 5 2006, 12:42 AM)
I have heard rumors The Who are going to be on tour this year.  In summer 2004, I saw what was left of The Who in Mountain View.  It was incredible to see them, but age is definatly catching up to Roger and Pete.

That would truly be awesome if they tour this year. 1022.gif

My one regret is that I never saw them while Entwistle was still alive. sad.gif

floydfanatic, do you have the Join Together box set? That should be very close to the concert you went to. It has all of Tommy on the first disc and a bunch of other songs on the second- many of those are the same ones you mentioned.

I have it, and while I've never been partial to the first disc for reasons already mentioned, I enjoy most of the songs on the second disc. But Isle of Wight and Leeds still blow it out of the water, IMO.

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Feb 4 2006, 11:01 PM)
floydfanatic, do you have the Join Together box set? That should be very close to the concert you went to. It has all of Tommy on the first disc and a bunch of other songs on the second- many of those are the same ones you mentioned.

I have it, and while I've never been partial to the first disc for reasons already mentioned, I enjoy most of the songs on the second disc. But Isle of Wight and Leeds still blow it out of the water, IMO.

Well, even the worst pre-78 recording blows any post-Moon Who out of the water...I liked Face Dances and It's Hard, but there are no comparisons.

Another live album to add to the list:

Guns N' Roses - Live Era 1987-1993

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 5 2006, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Feb 4 2006, 11:01 PM)
floydfanatic, do you have the Join Together box set?  That should be very close to the concert you went to.  It has all of Tommy on the first disc and a bunch of other songs on the second- many of those are the same ones you mentioned.

I have it, and while I've never been partial to the first disc for reasons already mentioned, I enjoy most of the songs on the second disc.  But Isle of Wight and Leeds still blow it out of the water, IMO.

Well, even the worst pre-78 recording blows any post-Moon Who out of the water...I liked Face Dances and It's Hard, but there are no comparisons.

Another live album to add to the list:

Guns N' Roses - Live Era 1987-1993

I definatly have to disagree there. Though the Who did loose the same drumming dynamic, the writing creativity that came from Townshend and to a lesser extent, Entwistle was still there. I thought they took a much more mature, less naive tone on those albums. Songs like Cache Cache, The Quiet One, How Can You Do It Alone, You, Dangerous, Eminence Front, Why Did I Fall For That were all incredible. Sure they may have sounded better with Moon's drumming style, but the creativity was not gone.

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Feb 5 2006, 02:01 AM)

I had the album. Join Together is now out of print and only available through BMG. The Join Together album reminded me of show I went to. The expanded Leeds from 2001 is the best.

Hardly anybody might know them, but

Urk by THE NITS (a Dutch band that celebrated their 30th birthday in 2004 ...)

is to me the seminal live album.

Along with Purple's Made in Japan, Lizzy's Lif/ve and The Who's Live At Leeds.

I love Alchemy by the Dire Straits as well - their last good album, anyway.

"Urk" by THE NITS (a Dutch art pop band that celebrated their 30th birthday in 2004 ...)

"Urk" by THE NITS (a Dutch art pop band that celebrated their 30th birthday in 2004 ...)

Deep Purple - Made in Japan and Made in Europe

Grand Funk Railroad- Live Album

Robin Trower -LIVE

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush Live

Rainbow - Final Vinyl

REO Speedwagon _ You Get What You Play For

Ted Nugent _ Full Bluntal Nugenty

Rush - Different Stages and REO

Ooops!

Didn't intend to post my mini list three times! comp26.gif

Still, if you can get "Urk" somewhere, give it a try ... it's worth three posts!

Another awesome live album I forgot:

Bob Dylan Live 1966 (The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert) is probably the most important, most exciting and most energetic live album ever made. He's above them all in that respect. Metallica are powerless farts in comparison to the second disc. (They're powerless farts anyway. Have always been. Sorry, needed to say that.)

Queen - Live Killers

UFO - Strangers In The Night

AC/DC - If You Want Blood

Eels - Live At Town Hall

R30 - Audio Disc

Bob Dylan - Rolling Thnder Review

my favorite live album is - kansas , two for the show

Frank Zappa - Does humor belong in music?

Level 42 - A physical presence part II

Rush - Exit Stage Left, A Show of Hands

Symphony X - Live on the edge of forever

Van Halen - Live without a net

Toto - Livefields

Kiss - Alive!

Threshold - Critical Energy

Rush - Different Stages, Exit Stage Left, All the World's A Stage

Iron Maiden - Live After Death

Pink Floyd - Pulse

King Crimson - Cirkus

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity