Dream Theater quoted a Rush lyric in a song?

Justus_2112

I was just listening to some Dream Theater because, you know, they're awesome...

Anyway, I was listening to their song "The Bigger Picture" from their 2013 self-titled album, and a certain lyric sounded a bit familiar. The lyric was:

"Wounds that never heal,

A heart that cannot feel"

I immediately started thinking about where I had heard that line before, but it quickly struck me: Red Sector A. The line in Red Sector A is:

"A wound that will not heal,

A heart that cannot feel"

Now, I know that Rush was/is a big influence on Dream Theater, John Petrucci has stated it multiple times, but I couldn't find anything that officially stated that it was quoted from Red Sector A. Surely if they are big Rush fans they would know the song, so they must know the line, but they may have mindlessly regurgitated the line from their memory without realizing it was a Rush line.

What do you think?

• Like 1

DT aren't known for their lyrical talents. Quoting Peart was probably their solution to the idea of living up to Peart. Also, as another word-writing mega Rush fan over here, I admit to putting Rush lyric quotes in my own works because I think they sound cool and I like the idea of quoting my favorite bands. I don't fault them for wanting to, and I don't fault them for doing it, and I don't fault them for not crediting the line to Peart (it isn't a totally exact quote, and neither is it a terribly unique thing to say), but I still maintain that this keeps in line with their kinda low lyric writing standards.
  • Like 1