Does Anyone hate the 80's as much as me?

Steve Smith

Hello All

Maybe I am being slightly unfair but your years between the ages of 18 and 25 are supposed to be the best of times

I was 14 when the 80's began and 25 when they thankfully ended.

Let me be clear, I HATED the 80's IN THE 80s!!!!!

So much vacous poodle permed rock with absolutely no substance whatsoever.

Bon Jovi, Europe, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, just awful awful

Little girl magazines like Smash Hits running polls like "who has the best hair? Jon bon Tempi or Joey Tempest"

I would go to a rock club where you would be judged by how tight your trousers were and how big your poodle perm was.

Guitar playing was just the same. How much do you know about modes? Lydian, Mixalidian, Lochrian, Aolian, Phrygian, up your own arsealydian. I actually spoke to a lad in a rock from Stoke at the time who told me he was doing serious dissertation about classical metal and was coming to Newcastle to sit and pass exams. I thought about asking him to "examine his arse" but walked away.

It was the most horrible horrible awful time in the UK!!!!!

The most horrible time ever.

Thank goodness that Grunge with bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden came in the late 80's and got rid of all the terrible pretentious useless shit!

I did have long hair in the 80's and was an accomplished player but I just hated all of that crap.

Very sorry for my rant, I wish I had grown up in the 60's or 70's

Steve :-(

Do you mean Permanent Waves?????

It is my favourite album

Please explain????

http://www.caladrius.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/admiral_ackbar_says_its_a_trap.jpg

A Penis Fly Trap.

Signed.

EM

Here's the TRF synopsis to the "great" Permanent Waves debate of it being a 70s or 80s album....

It's a 70s album. No, it's not it was released in 80. But it was recorded in the 70s. Yet specifically released for 1980. But all the writing and recording was done in the 70s. But 99.999% of the audience didn't receive it until '80. You're wrong. You're wrong. Your wang. Black jack shalack shalong schlong wang wong wang chung cock block bla bla bla

• Like 3

Look last word here

there were great great bands and music in the 80's but it was dominated by total shit OK?

Wish I had not bothered

Get used to discussion.

Barely anyone has even commented in this thread yet. And those who have haven't even said anything even remotely harsh or aggressive.

• Like 1

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And no I'm not patronizing you.

The PeW comment earlier was a reference to a joke discussion on this board that went on forever. But it happened before your time.

Then RUSHHEAD and I just started naming bands.

So yeah, I don't know why you're going nuts now. <-----This isn't a patronizing sentence either.

• Like 1

Do you mean Permanent Waves?????

It is my favourite album

Please explain????

http://www.caladrius.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/admiral_ackbar_says_its_a_trap.jpg

A Penis Fly Trap.

Signed.

EM

Here's the TRF synopsis to the "great" Permanent Waves debate of it being a 70s or 80s album....

It's a 70s album. No, it's not it was released in 80. But it was recorded in the 70s. Yet specifically released for 1980. But all the writing and recording was done in the 70s. But 99.999% of the audience didn't receive it until '80. You're wrong. You're wrong. Your wang. Black jack shalack shalong schlong wang wong wang chung cock block bla bla bla

Jesus Christ! Rush blew their progressive zenith load on "Hemispheres." I remember reading interviews by Neil back in the early 80's about how they had to decompress and change their sound. They were out of ideas and then came up with the brilliant corporate prog commercial rock record "Permanent Waves."

"Permanent Waves" was that bridge gap album that fused heavy metal, prog and commercial rock all into one perfect permanent package.

"Moving Pictures" is the apex to many Rush fans. Sadly in my mind and through my heart and ears it was just another bigger corporate prog rock lite masterpiece.

Good for RUSH.

They deserve every penny the earn.

Best any genre band in the galaxy.

If you don't agree with me well then hey......

"Money talks, suckers walk..... but you can't touch my three lock box...."

Love,

Sammy Hagar

Fukk Sam Halen and Van Hagar!

• Like 1

I LOVE THE FUKKING 80'S!!!!

Graduated in high school in 1986!

I did Motley Crue's "Theatre Of Pain," Rush "Power Windows" and ZZ Top's "Afterburner albums. One in crayon, one in oil paints, one in pencil for art class.

I got Art Student Of The Year and I suck!

• Like 5

Hello Johnny

Don't patronise me

My whole point was based around the vacuous horrible era of the 80's, nobody gets the point that I try to make.

Its OK, perhaps this is not the right place to ask for intelligent discussion

Thanks

Steve

You have far too thin a skin mate...no one was trying to upset you, so calm down eh?

And before you start questioning about intelligent discussion, perhaps you should examine your own rather two dimensional and one sided view.

Did the 80s have vacuous, annoying traits about it?....of course it did, but it had some stellar music as well...the list is endless, but I give you Rush, Metallica, Megadeth,The Clash, New Model Army, and a ton of others.

Not to mention, it was a time of great political change and upheaval, with Reagonomics, Thatcherism, the Miners strike et al.

It wasn't all poodle perms, spandex, rara skirts etc.

• Like 6

Duh!

I love RATT, DOKKEN, POISON BLACK N BLUE, AUTOGRAPH, WHITE LION, WHITESNAKE, VANDENBERG, CINDERELLA and MOTLEY CRUE!

Please keep ripping me for my love of hair metal! That genre of music is almost over too!

Life is short.

So says the Narcissist!!! LOL!!!

So funny!

Narcissus was so in love with himself he would gaze into his own reflection every night into a nearby lake. The lake would warn him not to gaze too close into the water.

He was so in love with himself that eventually the fool fell into the lake and drowned because he didn't know how to swim.

Kind of ironic that I am labeled this immature boy.

I swam varsity in the 80's. Butterfly was my best stroke.

Yep all about me. LOL!

Tonight I might just have a stroke typing about nothing.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 3