For any "Dies The Fire" fans

Del_Duio

I was watching TV the other day and saw a commercial for the new NBC show 'Revolution', which is set in a world where some cataclysmic event makes electricity stop working totally- planes fall out of the sky, the world reverts back into the dark ages, etc.

Immediately I thought they were remaking one of my favorite novels, "Dies the Fire", in which a mysterious event called "The Change" happens and makes all electricity and gunpowder obsolete. And planes drop out of the sky. And the world reverts back into the dark ages..

Hmmmm.. It's deja'vu all over again!

So of course I looked online to see what was up. Turns out these are totally UNRELATED but c'mon, how in the hell is this a mere coincidence? The book was really great and I always thought it'd make for an excellent movie but this is too much.

Anybody else ever read about Havel's Bearkillers and The Change?

I was not willing to watch another end of civilization show until I saw that JJ Abrams was on board. I'll give it a look.

I never heard of Dies The Fire. Does it have a part in it where one character has a jump drive with the secrets of bringing back technology on it? That is a major plot point in the new show.

No, I don't think they discover what caused the change until the 3rd or 4th book in the series.

Anyhow, Dies the Fire is really good. And unlike the characters with perfect makeup and etc. in the TV commercial, we get stuff like plague and cannibals (called "eaters" in the book).

I am a big fan of the Dies the Fire series and Revolution is not anything like it. I can see Revolution as a cashing in on the Hunger Games popularity (it's cool to have a girl who can shoot a bow and so on) and oh maybe we can put some sci fi stuff in...in other words an eclectic mess.

There isn't quite the societal deterioration as in DTF, they still have guns but quickly running out of ammo. Lots of silly things have shown up that don't make sense but I am going to keep watching to see how the plot progresses.

I never watched any tv shows directed by JJ Abrams, but he did ok on some of his movies so I guess only time will tell.