Blu-Ray Advice Thread

Mandalorian Hunter

I wasn't sure if anything like this had been done before, and if not, thought it would be a great idea to have one thread where people can ask questions to blu-ray-familiar members, and overall have an easy transition from DVD to Blu-Ray!

I'll start off by asking. To anyone who already has a blu-ray player, and knows abit about them, is this one any good?

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/mo...Product_ID/3598

P.S. Jack, could we get this thread pinned, maybe?

PS3

I have had a PS3 for about a couple of months now, but unfortunatly I do not have a HD Tv. So I have not been buying Blu-Ray dvds. But I have seen Blu-Rays in action (over at friends, Best Buy...etc) ANd it rocks.

I am sorry to steal your thread for a bit but I have a simular question.

I am going to be looking at a tv here shortly. How much diffrence is there between 720p and 1080p when dealing with Blu-Ray. Is the diffrence worth the cost?

I just got into the "HD World", myself. I have a PS3 hooked up to a 42" LCD 1080P TV. The PS3 plays CD's, JPG data discs, DVD's, Blu-Ray DVD's and obviousy PS3 games. I also have digital cable, and that's super cool because you can play HD movies on demand, for "free".

The Sony Blu-Ray player you posted looks great. However, I would recommend a PS3 player if it's similar in cost since you can keep it updated (firmware) via the internet (you can browse the internet and buy games with the PS3) even if you don't play a single game on it. IF it is cheaper than the PS3 and you want to save money that looks like a great player. Most importantly...

HAVE FUN and welcome to the "HD World"!!!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 11 2008, 05:29 PM)
I wasn't sure if anything like this had been done before, and if not, thought it would be a great idea to have one thread where people can ask questions to blu-ray-familiar members, and overall have an easy transition from DVD to Blu-Ray!

I'll start off by asking. To anyone who already has a blu-ray player, and knows abit about them, is this one any good?

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/mo...Product_ID/3598

P.S. Jack, could we get this thread pinned, maybe?

As others have said.......get a PS3. It's around the same price as that link you posted. I just got one, and I think I'll throw my DVD player out.

Well *cracks knuckles* this is my area of expertise biggrin.gif

It all depends on what your price range is. And also, do you have an HDTV?

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 11 2008, 10:55 PM)
PS3

I have had a PS3 for about a couple of months now, but unfortunatly I do not have a HD Tv. So I have not been buying Blu-Ray dvds. But I have seen Blu-Rays in action (over at friends, Best Buy...etc) ANd it rocks.

I am going to be looking at a tv here shortly. How much diffrence is there between 720p and 1080p when dealing with Blu-Ray. Is the diffrence worth the cost?

Owl, This thread'll be for everyone who wants advice for the HD upgrade! No need to apologise for anything trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 12 2008, 12:32 PM)
The other question I have to all of you, is that I only have a 22" TV, which is HD ready, but I remember someone, somewhere saying that you can't really notice the difference on a small TV. Is this true, or not?

Tbh, I'm not sure how much difference you'll see on a tv that's less than 32". I have a PS3 running on a 32" Sony tv at 1080/24p and it looks stunning, but I know I'm not getting the best out of Blu-ray because the tv isn't big enough! laugh.gif At the very least you should see an improvement in contrast, colour and overall solidity of the image, but I'm not sure whether you'll be able to see all the extra fine detail that Blu-ray offers unless you're about a foot away from the screen unsure.gif

If you do buy that player I wouldn't worry too much about the Profile being out of date - all discs will play on it, but you may not be able to access some of the newer features. I guess it depends how bothered you are about all the bells and whistles. I have 40+ Blu-ray discs at the moment and I've hardly watched any of the extra features.

See this article:

BBC

QUOTE (willowroolz @ Aug 12 2008, 01:29 PM)
The other question I have to all of you, is that I only have a 22" TV, which is HD ready, but I remember someone, somewhere saying that you can't really notice the difference on a small TV. Is this true, or not?

Tbh, I'm not sure how much difference you'll see on a tv that's less than 32". I have a PS3 running on a 32" Sony tv at 1080/24p and it looks stunning, but I know I'm not getting the best out of Blu-ray because the tv isn't big enough! laugh.gif At the very least you should see an improvement in contrast, colour and overall solidity of the image, but I'm not sure whether you'll be able to see all the extra fine detail that Blu-ray offers unless you're about a foot away from the screen unsure.gif

If you do buy that player I wouldn't worry too much about the Profile being out of date - all discs will play on it, but you may not be able to access some of the newer features. I guess it depends how bothered you are about all the bells and whistles. I have 40+ Blu-ray discs at the moment and I've hardly watched any of the extra features.

See this article:

BBC

I read the article, and I wouldn't be too fussed about extra features. Documentaries and featurettes I enjoy, but I'm not too fussed about other stuff. Aslong as I could still use that player in the next 2/3 years to watch new blu-ray dvds, that's fine.

In terms of the TV, aslong as there's some improvement, I can live with not getting the full effect. When I saw The Golden Compass on HD, it did look stunning, so I'm half-sure it'll be worth it now, and then I can get a bigger TV later.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 12 2008, 01:44 PM)
QUOTE (willowroolz @ Aug 12 2008, 01:29 PM)

See this article:

BBC

I read the article, and I wouldn't be too fussed about extra features. Documentaries and featurettes I enjoy, but I'm not too fussed about other stuff. Aslong as I could still use that player in the next 2/3 years to watch new blu-ray dvds, that's fine.

In terms of the TV, aslong as there's some improvement, I can live with not getting the full effect. When I saw The Golden Compass on HD, it did look stunning, so I'm half-sure it'll be worth it now, and then I can get a bigger TV later.

Sounds like a plan new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Recommendation for your first disc: Ratatouille, great film and the picture quality is amazing new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by willowroolz

QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 11 2008, 05:55 PM)
PS3

The 720p v 1080p issue matters more interms of screen size. If the tv is less than 50" 1080p is a waste.

I am very well versed in HD and will share my experience so far...

I have a 73" Mitzubishi 1080p DLP, Yamaha RX-V2300 7.1 1,000 Watt Digital Amp with Acoustech speakers. The Yamaha provides 3 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output, which is connected to the DLP. PS3 for Blu-Ray movies, gaming, etc. and cable box both connected via HDMI. Stick with HDMI interface if at all possible... must less cable clutter and better throughput. Plus you can get 6' HDMI cable at Sam's Club for around $30, and it only takes one cable to make the connection.

The PS3 is the best value and most reliable Blu-Ray option available. It may cost a bit more than a stand-alone Blu-Ray player, but the added cost is worth it when you consider all the other features you get with a PS3. I bought a PS3 the day they were released and have had zero problems. Plus the fact that you can update the firmware from the Internet is a huge benefit that will keep the PS3 a viable Blu-Ray player for years to come. (if you're not into gaming, you soon will be when you have a PS3!)

Happy to answer any questions you may have... great to hear you're making the move to HD.

Just chiming in to add to what others like Owl have said: get the PS3. Several reasons:

- Price comparitive to the value you gain (multi-function)

- Continuous updates to deliver enhancements through the PSN (PS Network)

- Incorporated upscaling capabilities for DVDs and games

- Sleek design with expansion bays for memory cards (USB, Micro SD, etc) and an upgradeable hard drive for storing video (non-copyright protected, of course)

- PS3 doubles as media center with built-in Media Server capabilities for streaming audio and video across your home network

- Blu-Ray interactive. Some discs provide added content that is available for download through the PSN

I could go on and on, but I've been trolling the AVSforums and Blu-Ray forums for better than a year researching Blu-Ray and the PS3 and I'm so happy I made the choice to go with PS3. I just upgraded my hard drive in my PS3 to 320GB because of the convenience of being able to store movie trailers, video, pictures and audio in one place to stream throughout my house. With the regular updates through PSN, there are new features being added regularly, something you wont get in a standalone player

PTA

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 12 2008, 01:45 PM)
Just chiming in to add to what others like Owl have said:  get the PS3.  Several reasons:

Great points for the PS3. PSN alone is worth the additional cost. X360 owners have no idea what they are missing not being on the PS platform. (plus they had to buy an external HD-DVD drive to watch movies!)

Question: When you upgraded the drive in the PS3, were you able to transfer the files or did you have to store them externally and then copy back down? Still have plenty of space on my 60GB, just curious for future reference.

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Aug 12 2008, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Aug 12 2008, 01:45 PM)
Just chiming in to add to what others like Owl have said:  get the PS3.  Several reasons:

Great points for the PS3. PSN alone is worth the additional cost. X360 owners have no idea what they are missing not being on the PS platform. (plus they had to buy an external HD-DVD drive to watch movies!)

Question: When you upgraded the drive in the PS3, were you able to transfer the files or did you have to store them externally and then copy back down? Still have plenty of space on my 60GB, just curious for future reference.

ENA -

The hard drive upgrade was completely painless. I used my existing external Western Digital USB drive to back up my files from the PS3 before the upgrade. This was the only part that took a little bit of time. I had maybe 10GB free on my 60GB so the 50GB or so being backed up took maybe a half hour. Its easy to do through the XMB backup/restore and it backs up everything not just your files, obviously (settings, preferences, etc)

The drive swap was a breeze. I got a 5400 RPM SATA notebook drive and simply unscrew the 4 screws, replace and reinsert into PS3 and power on. It formats it in seconds. Then perform the restore. Viola.

Whole thing was under an hour to perform.

Check to see how much data you have to backup so you know what size drive to back it up onto.

There is a great how-to video right here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Upgrade_a_PS3_hard..._7-6766756.html

Ok, I did more of a search to see about all these profiles, and found this player;

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/mo...Product_ID/4105

I take it this is a 1.1 player, and the ability to update to 2.0 sounds good. If I didn't want a PS3, would this be a very good choice?

EDIT: There doesn't seem to be a 5.1 option on this. Am I right in thinking that?

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Aug 12 2008, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Aug 11 2008, 05:55 PM)
PS3

I have had a PS3 for about a couple of months now, but unfortunatly I do not have a HD Tv. So I have not been buying Blu-Ray dvds.  But I have seen Blu-Rays in action (over at friends, Best Buy...etc) ANd it rocks. 

I am going to be looking at a tv here shortly.  How much diffrence is there between 720p and 1080p when dealing with Blu-Ray.  Is the diffrence worth the cost?

The 720p v 1080p issue matters more interms of screen size. If the tv is less than 50" 1080p is a waste.

Okay, I'm looking to spend no more than $1000. And I was looking at around a 36".

Ok, I've found the player I'll probably get. It's a Sony BDPS350

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/mo...Product_ID/4449

The only thing I'm now worrying about is sound. I know my Amp/Reciever won't be able to do all this True HD sound, but I'll still be able to watch films in normal Dolby or DTS with this, right?

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Sep 8 2008, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 8 2008, 01:52 PM)
What kind of receiver do you have?

A Sony STR-DE400

MH - I wouldnt see why you would have a problem with Dolby or DTS with this 7.1 AV Receiver. Its fully capable and it also handles decoding uncompressed audio via HDMI.

But I still want to challenge your decision to not get a PS3, given the price of the BDPS350 and its features..... Without presuming to know your situation or reasons, did you find the BDPS350 to have something the PS3 doesnt or did you just decide a gaming console isnt the type of devide you wanted for playing BD media.

Im just curious.

QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 8 2008, 01:08 PM)

A Sony STR-DE400

MH - I wouldnt see why you would have a problem with Dolby or DTS with this 7.1 AV Receiver. Its fully capable and it also handles decoding uncompressed audio via HDMI.

But I still want to challenge your decision to not get a PS3, given the price of the BDPS350 and its features..... Without presuming to know your situation or reasons, did you find the BDPS350 to have something the PS3 doesnt or did you just decide a gaming console isnt the type of devide you wanted for playing BD media.

Im just curious.

I spent much of last week researching BluRay players for my dad...

In almost every review I read, one of the biggest questions asked was "How does this player stack up against the PS3?". And surprisingly none of the standalone players (give or take a couple hundred bucks compared to PS3) do stand up - even in the realms of time to load etcetera...

I've long been PS3 BluRay guy because I felt for the price of PS3 as a player that it was almost like getting a "free" gaming system, but since then I've realized more and more that it's not just any old BluRay player, but still one of the very best on the market.

I've got a PS3 and love it as a player not to mention everything else. The upscaling is awesome and the PC video file formats it handles now is unrivaled just stick a downloaded tv show or whatever on a memory stick and *bam* PS3 will play it.

Anyone in the market for a BluRay player... do yourself a favor and get the PS3 it crushes the competition even if you only decide to ever use it as a video player.

The only thing I will add to what Godeater said is that a major benefit to the PS3's BD player is the integrated update feature provided by the Playstation Network. So features or functions that were not delivered Day 1 with the initial generation of PS3s could be delivered through subsequent online firmware upgrades, automatically, through the PSN.

When I got my 60GB PS3, for example, it did not handle DVD upscaling, BD Live, PS2 game upscaling, MP3 surround / Linear PCM, DTS playback, etc etc....all of those things have been delivered via firware via the PS3's integrated system updates.

Features continue to be added ensuring the PS3 BD player has the latest and greatest capabilities. Thats a huge value right there

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Sep 8 2008, 12:35 PM)
QUOTE (PassTheAmmunition @ Sep 8 2008, 01:08 PM)

A Sony STR-DE400

Im just curious.

I spent much of last week researching BluRay players for my dad...

In almost every review I read, one of the biggest questions asked was "How does this player stack up against the PS3?". And surprisingly none of the standalone players (give or take a couple hundred bucks compared to PS3) do stand up - even in the realms of time to load etcetera...

I've long been PS3 BluRay guy because I felt for the price of PS3 as a player that it was almost like getting a "free" gaming system, but since then I've realized more and more that it's not just any old BluRay player, but still one of the very best on the market.

I've got a PS3 and love it as a player not to mention everything else. The upscaling is awesome and the PC video file formats it handles now is unrivaled just stick a downloaded tv show or whatever on a memory stick and *bam* PS3 will play it.

Anyone in the market for a BluRay player... do yourself a favor and get the PS3 it crushes the competition even if you only decide to ever use it as a video player.

goodpost.gif