Is the best of BUDGIE from 1978 to 1982?

treeduck

Hm!?

As much as I love their late work, there's no way that I can live without Never Turn Your Back On A Friend, Bandolier, In For The Kill and If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules. The Bourge years were fantastic and the guy knows how to nail down a riff.

Breaking All The House Rules :haz:

• Like 1

Hm!?

As much as I love their late work, there's no way that I can live without Never Turn Your Back On A Friend, Bandolier, In For The Kill and If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules. The Bourge years were fantastic and the guy knows how to nail down a riff.

I really like the guitarist John Thomas, he had a bigger sound.

• Like 1

Hm!?

Maybe you're right about that, but the Bourge years had the better songs and some of them are really epic. I see those phases almost as two different bands. I like all of their work, but if I had to choose I would prefer the early stuff.

• Like 1

Hm!?

Maybe you're right about that, but the Bourge years had the better songs and some of them are really epic. I see those phases almost as two different bands. I like all of their work, but if I had to choose I would prefer the early stuff.

I've got to go with the 80's. I think it's also because when I got into Budgie those were the albums that came out at that time and for me that was the real Budgie. I didn't discover their 70's stuff till much later.

Hm!?

I've got to go with the 80's. I think it's also because when I got into Budgie those were the albums that came out at that time and for me that was the real Budgie. I didn't discover their 70's stuff till much later.

I understand that. I still have some problems with line-up changes in bands. It's very rare that I like a band better after someone left. I grew up with the 70's Budgie and when I heard that Tony left the band it took me a long time to really enjoy their late work.

I love it all, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the early years, too.

Although at least Ducky has one Bourge era album on his list, with Impeckable

• Like 1

I like all the early stuff too. I think the last three albums don't get enough attention though.

• Like 1

I like all the early stuff too. I think the last three albums don't get enough attention though.

Agreed. I think Nightflight is probably my favourite from the latter era. But they're all good
  • Like 1

Agreed. I think Nightflight is probably my favourite from the latter era. But they're all good

And the Nightflight artwork is good too.

• Like 1

Yeah. By Derek Riggs, isn't it?

BudgieNightflight.jpg

Yeah. By Derek Riggs, isn't it?

BudgieNightflight.jpg

Yeah it's a beauty!

http://derek.server311.com/derekriggs.com/assets/nightflight.jpg

I was surprised to realise that Derek also did another cover for an album I bought recently by Chris Impellitteri:

http://derek.server311.com/derekriggs.com/assets/dragskul.jpg

Just read this from Derek Riggs about the cover:

"This wasn’t originally a Budgie cover. I did it for a band called Hawkwind. I was working with the art director of CBS records in London back in the 1970′s and he had both bands on his roster. Then I discovered that Hawkwind wouldn’t pay people for doing artwork for them, they would use it and not pay. So I sold it to Budgie instead. I was trying to get the sci-fi hardware to look metallic, something I was having trouble with at the time. This was the first time I really got it to look hard and shiny."

• Like 1

Just read this from Derek Riggs about the cover:

"This wasn’t originally a Budgie cover. I did it for a band called Hawkwind. I was working with the art director of CBS records in London back in the 1970′s and he had both bands on his roster. Then I discovered that Hawkwind wouldn’t pay people for doing artwork for them, they would use it and not pay. So I sold it to Budgie instead. I was trying to get the sci-fi hardware to look metallic, something I was having trouble with at the time. This was the first time I really got it to look hard and shiny."

Here's the back cover too:

http://derek.server311.com/derekriggs.com/assets/nightflight_back.jpg

• Like 1

Power Supply (w/ the EP tacked on!) is my favorite...but Never Turn Your Back on a Friend is second. I love Bourge and Thomas. :haz:

With the latest remasters they've released the EP as a separate animal altogether, a whole different release entity. I haven't got that yet so I'll have to grab it.