What Is Your Ultimate Under-rated Top 5 Rush Tunes?

presto123

Mine:

in no particular order

Available Light

Vapor Trails

Garden Road

Between Sun and Moon

Chemistry

Between Sun and Moon = Alex channeling his inner Billy Gibbons. I think of ZZ Top when I listen to his guitar work on that for some reason.

Great song. I would love to hear Neil's take on the lyrics as it seems to be one of the most misunderstood. It's been a while since I analyzed it, but I seem to recall that I thought it was a take on the creative unconscious or universal mind. Kind of similar with what the Police did with Synchronicity. I always thought that the subject was a little strange coming from Neil giving his stance on religion and such.

Pye Dubois wrote the lyrics.

Mine:

in no particular order

Available Light

Vapor Trails

Garden Road

Between Sun and Moon

Chemistry

Signals is their most underrated album. It is easily, at worst, their 3rd or 4th best album.

It is in my top 5 Rush albums.

PeW/Moving Pictures (dead heat)

Signals

Hemispheres

Clockwork Angels.

That's how I call it.

I just don't get the knob worship of Hemispheres.

Side two, brother. It's the template for PeW.

Musically excellent. Vocally (fill in the blank). I love LaVilla. Circumstances is alright. Not bad.

Book 2 is overcooked. But hey, I'm just some idiot from Goatnut, TN

Mine:

in no particular order

Available Light

Vapor Trails

Garden Road

Between Sun and Moon

Chemistry

Between Sun and Moon = Alex channeling his inner Billy Gibbons. I think of ZZ Top when I listen to his guitar work on that for some reason.

Great song. I would love to hear Neil's take on the lyrics as it seems to be one of the most misunderstood. It's been a while since I analyzed it, but I seem to recall that I thought it was a take on the creative unconscious or universal mind. Kind of similar with what the Police did with Synchronicity. I always thought that the subject was a little strange coming from Neil giving his stance on religion and such.

Pye Dubois wrote the lyrics.

http://www.cygnus-x1...ounterparts.php

Says in the liner notes that Peart also helped. A collaboration. Anybody else got a take on the lyrics to Between Sun and Moon? Can't really make sense of the Why The Sun? line. How does that tie into creative unconscious? Maybe I'm off base and it's just a song about celestial wonder?

Also, I wonder if "bonfire lights in the mirror of sky" from Between Sun And Moon is the same thing as "wilderness of mirrors" from Double Agent. Seems to me these two songs are discussing the same subject somewhat.

Edited by presto123

Here Again

Nobody's Hero

Territories

The Enemy Within

Kid Gloves

(I hate stopping at 5...fine...I will, but I don't have to like it.)

• Like 1

My top 5 Rush albums came right in a row. PW to PoW. What a run. CA and VT remix might be tied for 6th.

Grace is overrated imo. The other 4 and Snakes or Hemis are my top 5. Hemis>Signals what a f***ing run.

I like Snakes myself. Better than anything that came before it all the way back to, and maybe including, GUP.

My top 5 Rush albums came right in a row. PW to PoW. What a run. CA and VT remix might be tied for 6th.

Grace is overrated imo. The other 4 and Snakes or Hemis are my top 5. Hemis>Signals what a f***ing run.

I like Snakes myself. Better than anything that came before it all the way back to, and maybe including, GUP.

Yep. I enjoy most of it quite a bit. CA is a giant compared to it.

On Snakes the songwriting is tighter, and the sound is great. I hope Nick produces their last album

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

On Snakes the songwriting is tighter, and the sound is great. I hope Nick produces their last album

CA has too many tracks for me that blend in together. Snakes each song is distinct from one another. Lyrically its better too. The concept in CA is very thin to me. In fact if I didn't already know it was a concept album I wouldnt think rhe songs thematically related.

Snakes is way towards the bottom for me. It's about half of a good record. Folk elements are the last thing I want from a Rush record.

Thats one of the things i like about it. Has some of Alex's finest guitar playing.

So Worth saying I said it twice

Edited by Digital Dad

CA has too many tracks for me that blend in together. Snakes each song is distinct from one another. Lyrically its better too. The concept in CA is very thin to me. In fact if I didn't already know it was a concept album I wouldnt think rhe songs thematically related.

I can appreciate that, but disagree on the "blending" part. To me, each song is distinct, but I respect your take.

In terms of a concept, I've could give a rip about it. I want badass songs

I can appreciate that, but disagree on the "blending" part. To me, each song is distinct, but I respect your take.

Ill say this, SCOG and Halo effect are two of my favorites. In fact they seem so maligned ill vote those as two more underrated songs.

• Like 1

Ill say this, SCOG and Halo effect are two of my favorites. In fact they seem so maligned ill vote those as two more underrated songs.

See to me, SCOG is unique in the canon of Rush songs. Listening to Geddy's voice on that track....among his best. Belting out some serious vocals
  • Like 1

They're both great. SCoG is a rocker, and Halo Effect's lyrics are actually pretty moving.

• Like 2

They're both great. SCoG is a rocker, and Halo Effect's lyrics are actually pretty moving.

When I hear SCOG I remind myself that when i hit 60, my life ain't over. Ged defies age on that puppy
  • Like 2

When I hear SCOG I remind myself that when i hit 60, my life ain't over. Ged defies age on that puppy

The reason I love CA, and Snakes, is they're both guitar albums. They rock harder than any album since Signals.

• Like 1

The Anarchist does nothing for me. When i saw they opened R40 with it in Tulsa I nearly abandoned ship.

The reason I love CA, and Snakes, is they're both guitar albums. They rock harder than any album since Signals.

So is VT.

In your opinion, are there any cuts from CA that are all-time greats?

Nope. VT is heavier than both. Also, how is Snakes heavy? A few tunes are, but MANY songs feature acoustic guitar parts.

Nope. VT is heavier than both. Also, how is Snakes heavy? A few tunes are, but MANY songs feature acoustic guitar parts.

I see what hes saying. Not that they are heavier just more guitar based.

• Like 1

In your opinion, are there any cuts from CA that are all-time greats?

For me? Far Cry, Armour and MMB.

• Like 1