My handwriting sucks these days...

treeduck

It's pretty embarrassing, isn't it? I always wind up apologizing on the card or in the letter for my penmanship.

I make it worse by getting tense which makes the hand shake more.

I used to have nice handwriting too. Once upon a time. :(

• Like 3

It's pretty embarrassing, isn't it? I always wind up apologizing on the card or in the letter for my penmanship.

Exactly,

I have little confidence in writing these days. Then you waste money on a card or cards that were sacrificed. :LOL:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

My handwriting has always been, umm...distinctive.

I've written in all capital letters for as long as I can remember. I can read my cursive (which is not all in caps) just fine, but some other people seem to think it's a horrible mess.

The all caps thing, though- it's not that all the letters are the same size- I still make capital letters capital, and then I write the lower-case letters in capital, too. They're just smaller. :huh:

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

I was just thinking this is the other day myself. I rarely take a pen and write things out anymore beyond maybe a grocery list or to sign my name. It feels weird to do it.
  • Like 2

I was just thinking this is the other day myself. I rarely take a pen and write things out anymore beyond maybe a grocery list or to sign my name. It feels weird to do it.

Yeah,

My sig. and shopping list doesn't matter. I can read it. That's the most important thing these days. :LOL:

• Like 1

Another problem I'm having is spelling.

I used to be an ace speller. Even won many spelling bees! :)

A few weeks ago I was doing the crossword puzzle and couldn't remember how to spell "yearn" - couldn't even look it up because I had no recollection how to spell it. The only way I found it in the dictionary was because my eyes happened to look down at the page and see it, but I was looking up the word spelled "yern" - "yurn". :(

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

A few weeks ago I was doing the crossword puzzle and couldn't remember how to spell "yearn" - couldn't even look it up because I had no recollection how to spell it. The only way I found it in the dictionary was because my eyes happened to look down at the page and see it, but I was looking up the word spelled "yern" - "yurn". :(

You're not reading enough romance novels. :)

• Like 3

Look at it,

This way. You grew up when things were fun and normal. :D :7up:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Look at it,

This way. You grew up when things were fun and normal. :D :7up:

You see,

I just had to edit my post. Glad it wasn't a card. :LOL:

• Like 1

I used,

To have great handwriting up until the 80's. I would get compliments all the time. These days, if I buy a birthday card or any other type of card. I always buy two. :P

I print out what I'm going to write on another piece of paper so I can copy it on the card more neatly! I was making a mess of my cards! It's so depressing to be old! :D :codger:

• Like 2

I used,

To have great handwriting up until the 80's. I would get compliments all the time. These days, if I buy a birthday card or any other type of card. I always buy two. :P

I print out what I'm going to write on another piece of paper so I can copy it on the card more neatly! I was making a mess of my cards! It's so depressing to be old! :D :codger:

I do even worse if I have to copy something previously written out.

But you bring up another aspect - I know what I want to say but I can no longer recall the words to say it - or string words together to make a coherent statement.

My husband, bless his denying heart, says they (whoever "they" are) are putting something in the water. :huh: :LOL:

I guess that beats admitting we are losing it. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I used,

But you bring up another aspect - I know what I want to say but I can no longer recall the words to say it - or string words together to make a coherent statement.

My husband, bless his denying heart, says they (whoever "they" are) are putting something in the water. :huh: :LOL:

That is great, about putting something in the water! I will have to remember to tell my husband. We sounded like 90 yr olds last night. We were trying to remember the name of a parent of our daughter's friend. We hadn't known him all that well, but still. . . it was like . . oh, yeah, blonde dad, wasn't he Mark? No, that's not right, Mike? No, I think it was Ron. No, Ron was a short guy with black hair . . . and on and on. It was pretty pathetic! :D :D :D (About half hour later we remembered what his name was!)

• Like 2

I used,

That is great, about putting something in the water! I will have to remember to tell my husband. We sounded like 90 yr olds last night. We were trying to remember the name of a parent of our daughter's friend. We hadn't known him all that well, but still. . . it was like . . oh, yeah, blonde dad, wasn't he Mark? No, that's not right, Mike? No, I think it was Ron. No, Ron was a short guy with black hair . . . and on and on. It was pretty pathetic! :D :D :D (About half hour later we remembered what his name was!)

I can relate to that completely. Sometimes it takes a day for me to remember. I just don't have the immediate recall of names and events that I used to.

The worst is when I move something that has been in a certain place for a long while. I stopped doing it because I had no recollection of where I moved the thing to.

• Like 2

I used,

I can relate to that completely. Sometimes it takes a day for me to remember. I just don't have the immediate recall of names and events that I used to.

The worst is when I move something that has been in a certain place for a long while. I stopped doing it because I had no recollection of where I moved the thing to.

We are,

Pathetic! :codger: :LOL: But that's fine. I wouldn't trade it for nothing. :haz: :rush: :7up:

• Like 2

Exactly,

I have little confidence in writing these days. Then you waste money on a card or cards that were sacrificed. :LOL:

I'm the same, I did some practice on a piece of paper but when I came to do the actual card my hand betrayed me and went tense and made shitty mistakes that I seemed powerless to prevent! :facepalm:

• Like 3

Hey it's not because I'm older, it's purely lack of practice. My hands have become typing solid but handwriting weak.

I know how you feel, duck. Typing is just not METAL!

We obviously need to spend more time with fists in the air, Rob Halford-style.

:haz:

• Like 1

Hey it's not because I'm older, it's purely lack of practice. My hands have become typing solid but handwriting weak.

That's,

Because you didn't grow up when we did. Writing was very serious. Not these days. I have seen videos of kids who can't even dial a phone from back then. :laughing guy:

• Like 1

That's,

Because you didn't grow up when we did. Writing was very serious. Not these days. I have seen videos of kids who can't even dial a phone from back then. :laughing guy:

We had dial style phones in the 70's! I prefer them!

• Like 1

That's,

Yes, penmanship was taken quite seriously back in the day.

We had to buy a certain type of writing tablet and a certain type of thick-leaded pencil with which to practice our printing of the alphabet. Page after page after page.

Then, once we mastered that, we switched to #2 pencils and began to practice the Palmer Method of handwriting. Only when we could prove we could write neatly were we allowed to purchase and use a fountain pen.

Those were the days. If you did that to a child today, the parent(s) would be down at the school accusing them of abusing their child.

• Like 3

I know how you feel, duck. Typing is just not METAL!

We obviously need to spend more time with fists in the air, Rob Halford-style.

:haz:

Aye!

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

How is everyones reading comprehension doing?

Anyone else having a hard time grasping what they've read?

This morning at the store I paused to read about the wind storm we are having in the newspaper. I read one sentence over and over and still it didn't make sense to me. I don't know whether it was missing punctuation to make it understandable or what.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2